New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunglasses Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Oakley has a Golf lens and a target shooting lens that may be what you're after.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like my Oakley “Whisker” sunglasses. They’re well-made, they stay put, and are comfortable (an absolute requirement). But the main reason I bought them is that they fit my face well (looked good on me). I paid less for them than the price quoted in this URL:

https://www.smartbuyglasses.co...ZEAQYASABEgLLOPD_BwE

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
As a professional driver. I wear Serengeti and I have tried Maui Jim.. and I have some Oakleys but always go back to Serengeti.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Spy Optic Dirty Mo sunglasses look great and function great. I just throw them out there because they haven't been mentioned and you might like the style. They are comparable to my Oakleys and Del Mars.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I used to be a distributor for AO, and still have several pairs in various flight bags, go bags, etc. When I forget my Oakleys, they work great. Especially under a headset or helmet. I took advantage of the Oakley military program just prior to getting out, and picked up several pairs for a great price. SSI I think was the program? I believe they go through govX now. I've replaced lenses a few times, but wear my oakleys 95% of the time. I have different lenses for different conditions.

Finding non-polarized lenses is difficult, and I can't understand why everyone likes them. Outside of fishing...I'm not sure I see the point. At least in flying, all of the screens become difficult to see (with rainbows across them), the same for the screens in my vehicles.

I'll have to check out maui jim...I'm due for a nice pair of glasses for more dressed up occasions. My Oakleys are a bit more combat/LE style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Polarized is a no go with full face motorcycle helmets. Can make the visor opaque under certain conditions.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Serengeti Driver's Polarized for me. The Brown lenses are excellent.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
For me, I wear only Maui Jim Men's Ho'okipa Sunglasses.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Maui Jim's. I wore $80 Raybans for years. I also had 3 pair of Oakley's. The amber Oakly's were great for overcast days. I could wear them a few hours before my eyes got tired and I had to swap to a different tint.

Then I broke down and got the MJs. The lower price HO'OKIPA model w/Bronze lenses.

NO comparison. I can drive all day w/them and my eyes don't get tired at all.

And their ability to cut glare..."holy shit!" is the best descriptor I have. Sun, overcast, shadows....doesn't matter. I don't see myself buying another brand.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1365 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For those of you saying Maui Jims, I have a question.

To me they're a clothing brand of Hawaiian shirts and stuff. They're mostly a marketing company that buy from other people or get people to make something for them and put their brand on them. With regards to sunglasses, what advantage do they have over companies that focus primarily on eyewear such as Oakleys and Ray Ban?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Excellent customer service. Optically correct lenses. Support for broken frames/lenses.

Oakley lenses (in the past) were subject to lens coatings flaking and not supporting the issue.

RayBan doesn't offer a large selection of polarized sunglasses.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Wiley X

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
To me they're a clothing brand of Hawaiian shirts and stuff. They're mostly a marketing company that buy from other people or get people to make something for them and put their brand on them.

Where did you get that idea? Sure, they sell T shirts and ball caps but so does SIG and countless other manufacturers. They’re totally a sunglasses company and their success is entirely due to producing high quality sunglasses.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
To me they're a clothing brand of Hawaiian shirts and stuff. They're mostly a marketing company that buy from other people or get people to make something for them and put their brand on them.

Where did you get that idea? Sure, they sell T shirts and ball caps but so does SIG and countless other manufacturers. They’re totally a sunglasses company and their success is entirely due to producing high quality sunglasses.

THIS- First and foremost they are an eyewear company as Sig is a gun company. Their lenses are optically correct and great quality.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serengeti’s. Drivers gradient. You’re welcome.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For sport lens or, poly lens, Oakley and Kaenon. Kaenon is my favorite and my constant go-to, they were started by a few guys with Nike and Oakley backgrounds and developed a new poly lens technology that exceeded any non-glass lens on the market.

If you're looking for glass lenses, Maui Jim's are good, I prefer Costa's frames.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Costa is my favorite, but Maui Jim’s are excellent as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I have some Rx Oakleys with an amber lens that is polarized for fishing. I get an LEO discount through US Standard Issue.

My wife likes the Maui Jims.

Both are good for outdoor activities or working out such as bike riding or running. They are both probably in the $200-$300 range though. Mine were more since they are Rx.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My favorite sunglasses are polarized and are made by Randolph Engineering. Made in USA. They supply the US military pilots. Fantastic quality. I've had many of the high end brands, and I like these the best.

https://www.randolphusa.com/men/

https://www.randolphusa.com/our-military-heritage/

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My wife has both Costas and MJ.

I’ve had Oakleys, but have preferred Native sunglasses for several years. I’m on my 4th pair, after breaking one and loosing two in the ocean.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post