Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunglasses Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for a pair of sunglasses that not only block the usual UVA/B rays, but also function well in bright light and during early evening time driving when there is lots of glare and headlights coming at me. I see the standard offerings on info TV and the net - they are priced right, but I don't want to buy crap. Any suggestions?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I've tried many different sunglasses, and although they run ~$200, there are none better than Maui Jim brand.

https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_...0Sunglasses%20-%20EX

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I think that Ron White has a good line on that topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzTtBl9qh8

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
none better than Maui Jim brand.

This, under the cry-once maxim.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
choose your lens color for your optimal performance. for glasses that work well around the end of the day, brown and amber work best.

https://coachlevi.com/cycling/...lor-selection-guide/

I have a couple pairs of Costas, one in blue mirror and one in amber (vermillion, I think.) Sometimes I switch during the day, especially if I am out sight-fishing or shooting and really need to see.

My Persols are also a brown/amber variant. My RB's are gray.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I've tried many different sunglasses, and although they run ~$200, there are none better than Maui Jim brand.

We don't know you or how your eyes seem to work. Everyone is different. I have a pair of Maui Jims and like them so well I haven't lost them...yet. There are otherwise good people who seem to lose 2 or 3 pari of glasses a year. Maui Jims aren't for them. Since there is no test drives offered you've got to take your chances. Cheap sunglasses are out at every flea market. Buying online is almost a sure guarantee you'll get knock offs. Or crap.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like polarized lenses on my Rx sunglasses

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I think that Ron White has a good line on that topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzTtBl9qh8

Hard to take advice from someone who still smokes Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim does make excellent glasses.

Polarization also makes a big difference, especially with glare and reflective surfaces.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yup. Maui Jims. I won't buy any other brand.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Yacht Captain and deal with a lot of glare off of the water during bright sunlight and also low light conditions towards the end of the day. Maui Jim is by far the best brand for durability since I wear them daily. (Costa del mar's are a distant 2nd). Also their high transmition lenses (HT lense code) do the best job of meeting all of the conditions you describe. The Blue Hawaii (BH lense code) are a very very close second and are the blue mirrored ones. The BH's do a touch better job at really bright light, however the HT do a touch better job at low light.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep still have my Maui Jims my wife bought me on a trip to La Jolla a while back, they are the best by far, for outdoor sport, motorcycle riding I have Costas and they do a very good job as well.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I loved my Maui Jims (the Sport model, on the low end of the price range). Why the past tense? Because somehow I lost them and haven't seen them for a year. Frown

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for polarized lenses.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim does make excellent glasses and I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon. However, I think the best bang for the buck right now is with Sundog or Suncloud. Much cheaper than the big names, and nearly as good optically.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I believe MJ makes different color lenses for different light conditions.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that many of the sun glasses marked (Polarized) aren't.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Polarized should be a given.

And I second Suncloud for bang for buck. Very good shades for $50 or less.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of MJ from Costco for $89 with Ann MSRP of $270. I love the feel and build. Any Costco’s in NE?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AO American Optical,

I have been wearing their pilot sunglasses for decades.

About $50,

I also have Maui Jims, and Oakley's

Seems I wear the AO most of the time

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post