SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Monthly Publishes its 2017 Top 50 Texas BBQ Joint List
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Monthly Publishes its 2017 Top 50 Texas BBQ Joint List Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Google Maps link for their 2017 Top 50 List.

Notable items:
  • Franklin BBQ is no longer #1
  • Pecan Lodge fell out of the Top 10. My lunch in January was likely a good indicator - my brisket was amazing but my Dad who ordered 15 seconds after me got an absolutely horrible cut of brisket that tasted nothing like mine.
  • N. Houston has two places that cracked the Top 10

EDIT: Here is Texas Monthly's article

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post
    I still haven't gotten around to trying Corkscrew, even though they are less than ten minutes away... Frown

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of HayesGreener
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for that! I will stop at Pinkerton's next time we are passing through Houston, always looking for great Texas BBQ.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
    Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    East Texas adds to the list with the addition to the Bodacious on South Mobberly. That location has recently been resurrected, we'll have to try it sometime(FYI there quite a few Bodacious Bar-B-Q's around the East Texas area. It's is a franchise, in that everybody uses the same sauces. Otherwise everything varies, menu-prices, depending on the location.).

Stanley's in Tyler has dropped a little bit in this year's ratings, but has always been really good. I'll try to visit some of the DFW picks this year as well.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Kruez is the only Lockhart joint to make the list this year?!

Wow. I'm shocked that Black's was dropped.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    No such thing as an absolute ranking.
    There are a ton of good ones in Texas, you just have to find them. Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    Kruez is the only Lockhart joint to make the list this year?!

Wow. I'm shocked that Black's was dropped.
    Me too, but the other two Black brothers' place in Austin is on the list.

Last time I was in Austin, Black's in Lockhart was Top Ten, and it was faster to drive down to Lockhart, wait in Black's line, eat, and drive back to Austin than eat at Franklin's.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cigar Nerd
    Picture of Jaywendland1981
    posted Hide Post
    Guess I'll give corkscrew a shot.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
    Guess I'll give corkscrew a shot.
    IME, it's about an hour line on Saturdays.

posted Hide Post
    The competition locally keeps them sharp in the Austin area.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Cattleack's is as good as we ever laid a tongue to. The tip on the boudin is real. Cooper's in Llano is also hard to beat. We also like the Pecan Lodge (except for the long lines).

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    Franklin's is good, but I generally won't wait in line that long for anything or anyone.

I'll leave the queuing to our friends across the pond.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Glad to see Mueller still in there. Stopped in last week and had some brisket and dino-bones. My GAWD!!! those were actually more awesome than the first time we went!!!! Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OldChimney
    posted Hide Post
    Wonder why they led off with a picture of a ruined rack of ribs?

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I run trains!
    Picture of SigM4
    posted Hide Post
    Excellent, a new list with some new places to check out. We're moving back at the end of June and I'm always ready to try some new ones. Having eaten at probably 25-30% of that list already I'm going to have to start venturing further to some of these.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    My old favorite, Coopers Pit in Llano, made the list.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Husband, Father, Aggie,
    all around good guy!
    Picture of HK Ag
    posted Hide Post
    we are going to Tejas Chocolate today at lunch as a matter of fact. Ranked 6th in the article.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Not sure if serious, or where "West" is, but those look like pretty good beef ribs from where I'm sitting. Granted they were probably cut a half hour before picture, but anything that looks like this will start me drooling!

http://www.texasmonthly.com/wp...r-e1374248712400.jpg

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gloom, despair and
    agony on me.
    Picture of drabfour
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BGULL:
    East Texas adds to the list with the addition to the Bodacious on South Mobberly. That location has recently been resurrected, we'll have to try it sometime(FYI there quite a few Bodacious Bar-B-Q's around the East Texas area. It's is a franchise, in that everybody uses the same sauces. Otherwise everything varies, menu-prices, depending on the location.).

Stanley's in Tyler has dropped a little bit in this year's ratings, but has always been really good. I'll try to visit some of the DFW picks this year as well.

Once you discover Stanley's you don't go back to Bodacious.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OldChimney
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Georgeair:
    quote:

Not sure if serious, or where "West" is, but those look like pretty good beef ribs from where I'm sitting. Granted they were probably cut a half hour before picture, but anything that looks like this will start me drooling!

http://www.texasmonthly.com/wp...r-e1374248712400.jpg

I'll agree the ones in the picture at your link look tasty. The ones in the picture that comes up from the OP's link are burned and I would be embarrassed to serve them at my table.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post