SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of the Airbus A380 superjumbo?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of the Airbus A380 superjumbo? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Airbus is nearing a decision to axe production of the world's largest airliner and may give an update with full-year earnings tomorrow, aviation analysts have said.

The fate of the A380 superjumbo has been in doubt since a vital order from Emirates foundered over inconclusive engine talks, forcing Airbus and the airline to weigh an alternative plan that would trigger a premature halt to A380 production.

Under the proposed reshuffle, first reported by Reuters, Airbus hopes to broker a deal that would see Emirates switch part of its order to smaller models like the A350 or A330, while eking out a few last-minute A380 orders from British Airways.

The A380 is already on life support due to weak sales…”

https://mol.im/a/6696529

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doh!

I recall the hoopla that surrounded its arrival at LAX. Impressive for sure but a colossal misstep in predicting the future of air travel. How many built? How many euros invested? Yikes

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“Airbus is nearing a decision to axe production of the world's largest airliner and may give an update with full-year earnings tomorrow, aviation analysts have said.

The fate of the A380 superjumbo has been in doubt since a vital order from Emirates foundered over inconclusive engine talks, forcing Airbus and the airline to weigh an alternative plan that would trigger a premature halt to A380 production.

Under the proposed reshuffle, first reported by Reuters, Airbus hopes to broker a deal that would see Emirates switch part of its order to smaller models like the A350 or A330, while eking out a few last-minute A380 orders from British Airways.

The A380 is already on life support due to weak sales…”

https://mol.im/a/6696529

Airbus has a large presence in Mobile, Alabama where, in addition to the final assembly line for the A320, they install interiors for several, including the A380. A new assembly line for the A220 is starting up in Mobile.

Activities cover the specification, design and installation of cabins, cabin equipment and modules, seats, cargo systems and cabin for the A350 XWB, the 525-seat A380 and the market leading A330-200/300 passenger aircraft.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What a colossal failure. Boeing bet correctly when they stuck with the 777 and 787. Airbus is heavily subsidized with government money and because of that they can make colossal mistakes and stay in business.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having flown on a A380 a couple of times, it's certainly roomy but, there A LOT of people on board and it gets a bit stuffy after 8+ hours of flying.

Given the performance upgrades, dependability and longer legs of the 737-MAX, and A320neo family, such big jets are going away and only good for Spring Break holidays and the haj in Saudi

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When government bureaucrats make the business decisions the results are predictable.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So, it turns out Boeing knew what they were talking about after all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I can now honestly say, “If it ain’t Boeing, I ain’t going.” Big Grin

In all seriousness, I marvel at the 380 every time I see it takeoff, land, or taxi in front of us. But I can also say that, IMHO, it’s the UGLIEST “super” ever built and that NOTHING will ever be sexier than the B747 (in terms of “modern day” air travel).

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We get a couple a day into IAH. With no reference it just looks like a big plane, taxiing next to a 737 Eek it's a huge plane.

Agreed with erj, though, definitely an ugly guppy. Doesn't hold a candle to the elegance of the Queen.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
234 delivered so far out of 313 orders.

While not directly competitors, Boeing passed on a real superjumbo, and decided to build the 787 instead. So far that has 789 deliveries out of 1,421 total orders. And in this case, more orders are likely.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Doh!

I recall the hoopla that surrounded its arrival at LAX. Impressive for sure but a colossal misstep in predicting the future of air travel. How many built? How many euros invested? Yikes

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on YouTube is a great explanation of airline strategies of “long skinny” routes vs thick routes with hubs.
The “long skinny” strategy has won out with Boeing, if I recall this correctly.
I’ve flown in a 787 and it was an extremely long but surprisingly comfortable flight even in economy, with a little girl from Ethiopia beside me who had just been adopted. We got along great.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I was able to board one at At the Oshkosh airshow some years back. The subsequent aerial demonstration it performed was nothing short of impressive.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
<snip>
Agreed with erj, though, definitely an ugly guppy. Doesn't hold a candle to the elegance of the Queen.

The Queen being the Lockheed Super G Constellation in TWA livery? Prettiest airliner ever.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
airline strategies of “long skinny” routes vs thick routes with hubs.
The “long skinny” strategy has won out with

Yes, in that same documentary they talk about the different strategies for the 747-800 and A380 also. Boeing committed to a Freighter version and pursued this while also pursuing the passenger -800. Airbus opted to not pursue a freighter - and this means the end of the road for the 380.

Glad to see Boeing win the long bet - been an even bigger fan since I worked with them on part of the 787 project - and got a chance to tour the early 787 mockup on the "factory" floor and talk to the engineers and chief architect.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
<snip>

The Queen being the Lockheed Super G Constellation in TWA livery? Prettiest airliner ever.

I was implying the 747, but the Connie is a good looking bird too Wink

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of miscalculations regarding the A380 was the need for airports to upgrade their facilities. Most of runways that could handle a 747, could handle the 380, however, apron areas and most importantly gates needed to be altered or, designed with enough margin for the huge airplane. All of this limited the number of destinations for the 380 and/or forced airports to spend more to accommodate. I think out here on the West Coast the only airports that can handle one is SFO, LAX, & ONT.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I saw a good video of the 380 landing at LAX and while it did everything a big bird is tasked with, watching the fly by knob was just weird. Like tuning in a radio station.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

If someone put a "Connie" and a 747 on the ramp and told me I could fly just one, it would be an extremely difficult choice. I'd probably have to go with "Connie" because I already have one Boeing type-rating.

[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

What would that alternate plan be? Buy 787s from Boeing, slap Airbus labels on them and resell them? Big Grin

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Emirates is going to the A330 Neo and A 350 instead, the latter being Airbus' equivalent to the 787.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
One of miscalculations regarding the A380 was the need for airports to upgrade their facilities. Most of runways that could handle a 747, could handle the 380, however, apron areas and most importantly gates needed to be altered or, designed with enough margin for the huge airplane. All of this limited the number of destinations for the 380 and/or forced airports to spend more to accommodate. I think out here on the West Coast the only airports that can handle one is SFO, LAX, & ONT.

Well, the 747 faced the same facility problems when introduced, so Airbus probably thought they would take that bet. One airline source I saw said the real problem of the A380 was that the wing was designed with a stretched variant in mind that was ultimately never built, so there was unnecessary weight and, as a result, fuel consumption. Emirates had long demanded a more fuel-efficient Neo version, but Airbus probably thought it not worth the cost at that point.

After all, even the 747-8 is only selling as a freighter anymore, so it might be that the time of jumbo passenger aircraft is just over. Which would indeed vindicate Boeing's earlier strategic decision for the 787 route. Though I'll be curious to see whether some A380s will eventually be rebuilt as freighters, the location of the cockpit would preclude easy adaption of a full-deck-size nose gate for which the 747 was designed from the start. A major conversion á la Guppy would be needed (there were early plans for an A380F with conventional side loading gates, but they were never followed through with).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BansheeOne,

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post