SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ferns... Overwinter them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ferns... Overwinter them? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
So do we have any fern experts?

This year I put a little more effort into growing my hanging ferns. Miracle Grow and automatic drip irrigation and I rotated them 180 degrees on the hanger and shifted them one hanging position over weekly to even out the light they received. They did fantastic, growing to about 4 feet across. The photo below was in July, they got even a little bigger then that.

Usually I just buy new each spring but I would like to try to overwinter them in my garage. A heater keeps it above about 45 deg. Mini blinds over the window for privacy, and it is east facing so it isn't very bright in there.

Suggestions?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do that when I lived in East TN. Of course they will suffer to some degree. If you could add fluorescent lighting overhead that would help immensely. Expect some dieback. You will need to slowly reintroduce them to the outside in the Spring after danger of frost is past. Sometimes it is easier to buy new.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post