SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Politicians confronted at Airports
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politicians confronted at Airports Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What happened at the capitol had everything to do with security and terrorism, and when those people got on flights and headed home, the problems didn't stop. The FAA's announcement is a direct response to that, and states as much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Why didn’t they react the same way when republicans were gunned down playing baseball? Do you even realize how idiotic such a statement sounds? Why is violence and rhetoric ok from one side and not the other? All that does is creates more violence and hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Why wasn’t it done when the lefties “breached” the senate chamber during the Kavanaugh hearings and vote? The answer is far too simple.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit appalled at Delta's response to this. I still have almost 700k miles in my SkyMiles account, and flew Delta for years as a Platinum Medallion customer. Unless people are actually being charged with a violent crime associated with the capitol incident (and even then I'm a bit torn since I'm certain Delta likely flies criminals around the country on their flights now), I don't think Delta should be going down this path.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
terrorism

What the heck are you talking about sns3guppy. there was in any definition of the word no terrorism in this circumstance. Confronting people at an airport in public space peacefully is totally acceptable to me if it involves nothing but verbal insults towards public officials. Such actions outside the airport would be fully and completely legal. Once on a flight the FAA can and should regulate that. but before that is just wrong.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
What happened at the capitol had everything to do with security and terrorism, and when those people got on flights and headed home, the problems didn't stop. The FAA's announcement is a direct response to that, and states as much.

Good to know how you really feel. The lady shot while climbing through the window was right up there with Osama bin Laden. Roll Eyes

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breaching the capitol was terrorism. The concern was the same individuals getting on aircraft or passing through airports, and the FAA states as much in the Order previously linked, specifically citing the capitol breach.

Confronting people in the airport is not acceptable. What you do on the street does not entitle you to do inside the secure area of the airport, and you shouldn't expect to get away with it in the airport. Cause a disturbance, you are liable for the consequence.

On the street you are protected against search and seizure; in the airport, once inside the secure area, you are subject to search at any time, as a condition of entry. There are conditions to which you are subject inside the secure identification areas to which you are not subject outside, and by entering the secure area, you have agreed to those conditions. If you don't want to agree, don't enter. You are not entitled to do as you please inside the secure area of the airport.

Outside that area you are subject to such conditions as local authority may permit or prohibit, or enforce.

Inside the secure areas, you are subject to DoT, TSA, FAA, local jurisdiction, and in certain cases, airline polices, regulations, restrictions, limitations, and requirements.

If you're harassing someone in the airport, regardless of whether they're a senator or the pope or your ex-wife, you're subject to the authority applicable to that area, including arrest and subsequent prosecution, fines, etc. If you think you're free to say whatever you want, try threatening a cop, gate agent, TSA employee, or airline employee or crew member inside that area, or just make jokes to one of those about a firearm, or bomb. See how far that gets you. You can say those things outside the airport, within limits; you can't say or do everything inside the airport secure area that you can do outside, and harassing other passengers is not likely to gain you an award for good citizenship, or to go unnoticed.

quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Good to know how you really feel. The lady shot while climbing through the window was right up there with Osama bin Laden. Roll Eyes

This has nothing to do with how I feel. Go read what's been linked, for yourself. I'm stating a fact and backing it up with a link.

When you're home with your family and someone smashes your window and enters your home swinging impact weapons, spraying bear spray, screaming that they're coming to kill you, carrying zip ties and other weapons, you'll be happy to sit back and watch, or you're going to consider it a threat?

Osama is far from the only terrorist in the world. There are plenty of home grown terrorists, and those that sacked the capitol and assaulted (and killed) were hardly a peaceful exercise in free speech. When those people broke in screaming about hanging senators and killing congressmen, prepared with restraints, explosive devices, and weapons, they weren't there to say hello, nor to lodge a protest. How I feel is irrelevant. They were terrorists, and can be expected to be treated as such.

In an airport, if you're causing a disturbance, you can expect to be handled, and there's a good probability in the present environment that you'll be arrested by the airport authority, jurisdictional police, or by federal personnel. If those problems occur on board an aircraft or are directed at a crew member, it becomes a federal crime, and you move it to a whole new level. That includes refusal to follow a crew member's directions, assaulting another passenger (remember that assault is verbal), or even if you inadvertently shove, push, or impact a crewmember with your actions. A no-fly list may be the least of your problems, and if you're causing a disturbance and refusing to follow the directions of the flight crew, you can expect an inflight diversion, and once that happens, your day will get considerably worse. That will be true of any airline, not just Delta.

In the airport, you may be cut some slack, but don't bank on it.

I guarantee that even in uniform with credentials, I won't be treated any differently if I fail to show decorum and respect. If I get out of hand or cause a disturbance, I won't be given one ounce more leeway than anyone else, and nobody will ask my political affiliation. Nor will they care.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you think you can stop being the company man for a while? I doubt it, but try, and there's no need for you to explain that you were "just" this or that. I don't really care.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
How many of the people involved in the 2018 Kavanaugh hearings incident were charged with Domestic terrorisms?

https://www.allsides.com/blog/...onstrates-media-bias

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Breaching the capitol was terrorism.

So you say. Answer Jupiter and we'll go from there. Also would like to know why the FAA suddenly got around to making an announcement on the 13th....Why not 2 years ago when the exact same thing happened? Or when the heathens broke through during President Trump's 2020 State of the Union (or any other time that the loonies got through, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples over the past 4 years).

I think I know your problem sns3guppy. You have been hanging out in so many airports that all you know are the CNN talking points. The rest of us can see through the bullshit, but if you refuse to, that's on you!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Actually you can if you’re a democrat. It seems like every day rules are only applied to one side while the other side’s violence, rhetoric and hate is spun as acceptable and necessary.

Exactly

You and Bama, some others here, clearly point out the double standard in our society, involving much of the media, celebrities, politicians, and some notable businesses these days. Conservative molehills are blown into mountains; liberal mountains are squashed into molehills.

It's a little surprising, and a little disturbing to me, how many people have swallowed the kool-aid. I attribute a lot of this to the ignorant, the apathetic, the complicit. The ignorant are oblivious to the fraudulent bias (some willingly so). The apathetic know there is bias, but believe they themselves won't get burned. And the complicit promote the bias, seeking personal gain.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are plenty of home grown terrorists

We know. Unfortunately....dominion voting machines elected them.

-- George Orwell

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are plenty of home grown terrorists

I would certainly love to see a sim based on characters and events with names and locations changed and applied to 2020/2021. Imagine Mark Zuckerberg telling George Washington to get bent. Or Thomas Jefferson disbarred from practicing law because of what he says and believes. The sim could be a lesson in history and a harsh lesson in reality. Think of a scenario as it applies to President Trump or "his cult of followers" and see what you can come up with. Let's all design this sim together. Maybe we can make an app and get paid for it too.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
All so very interesting that evidence is being unveiled that the agitators and violence on Jan 6 was premeditated by... unknown bad actors assumed to be antifa and for sure blm.

Our very own Reichstag fire, used to beat down the innocent other side.

So, again, the left does something bad and WE pay the price.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post