SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto A/C Charging Ports Repeatedly Leaking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto A/C Charging Ports Repeatedly Leaking Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2000 Honda Civic which I can't seem to get the high side charging port to stop leaking. I can see small bubbles when looking down at the Schrader valve.

Sometimes it takes a few months to leak down enough to need a recharge. I have replaced the Schrader valves two or three times. I think once I used oem Honda. The others were from Oreilly's.

Does anyone know of a brass charging port cover for auto a/c applications? The plastic ones seem to just be dust covers. I have seen them for building a/c systems but none threaded to fit auto systems.

Am I missing something obvious? I have replaced these on other vehicles with no problem. I don't really want to replace the hard lines with the ports in them if there is another solution.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The caps actually help seal the valves. If you've already changed the Schraeder valves then they shouldn't leak. Ive always used the plastic caps and they worked fine, if they are leaking then it's got to be bad valves. I know you've done them already but they shouldn't leak being brand new.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think home A/C caps have fine threads while the dust cover caps have coarse threads.

I would take one of the caps to a local A/C place and see if they can help you. They could measure the thread size. You may also check Lowes in the bolts section for their thread size jigs and then go to the plumbing section once you know the size and see if they have any of the fittings.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try tightening the shrader valve (the little actual valve in the middle of the shrader valve can be tightened and automotive places sell the tool for a few bucks.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So did you put a vacuum on the system before refilling with Freon?
There could be dirt or damage to the Shrader valve seat that is causing the leak.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retightened the Schrader valves. The high side moved almost another quarter turn. After
I recharged there were no bubbles in the charging port.

Hopefully that will do it. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post