SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants a burger press
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants a burger press Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
oatmeal

ninja what?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
If my wife wanted a burger press, I'd get her the best damn one I could find. ...
That's where I'm coming from.

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I bought a little plastic press that makes two at a time. It was well rated on amazon. I never use it. I just don't prefer it, so I still hand form mine. You need a dimple in the middle anyway. 85/15 minimum, but 80/20 is much preferred by us for outdoor grilling.
I pull the meat off in chunks to weigh them so they can all be the same size. That way they can be a consistent, and also fit to whatever size bun we have in use that day. It also helps that, doing it that way I don't have work it as much. I think they come out juicier as a result.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a round #1 Tupperware lid, with a sheet of saranwrap as a liner (bigger liner is easier). I squish a 1/4 pound ball of hamburger into it, pop it out with the saranwrap onto a plate, put the saranwrap back onto the lid, and hit it again. I've used a restaurant-type burger press, and this is quite a bit faster, if not quite as picture-perfect in outcome.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I have the Stufz single burger press. It allows for regular and stuffed burgers. It really does make nice stuffed burgers, albeit they can get yuge.... It's cheap too. Cleanup isn't terrible just rinse and drop in the dish washer. It's not fast though, it produces even burgers that are stuffed with goodness.

https://www.amazon.com/Stufz-S...-Press/dp/B004HV1PDO

I do have the problem of them sticking. I use a bowl of water with a couple shots if pam in the water and I dunk the apparatus between presses. This remedies it well.

Just saw this: nonstick is the claim. Also adjustable for thickness.

http://www.lemproducts.com/pro...zD_9ICFdU8gQodyG8Khg

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll drop the whole pound into a smoking hot cast iron skillet and squish it with the spat. After it's running blood on top, quarter it then flip. Human hands never touch the product nor over compress it.

So I guess I'm no hep. Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Maybe Dillon makes a blue one...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap plastic burger press I use when making burgers. I just spray a little Pam on it every few burgers, works like a charm. My wife does the cleaning, so not sure how hard that part is Smile

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this would be adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4OUvHOgZF0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
this would be adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4OUvHOgZF0

Elephant burgers? Hmm, prolly a bit tough.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but I've seen professional chefs and diner cooks use metal rings. Nothing fancy, just metal rings 4 inches across and 1 inch thick. The rings ensure consistent portioning and shape without getting in the way. No fancy springs or handles or tops or anything like that, just put a ball of pre-weighed beef in the ring and use your clean (perhaps gloved) fingers to form the patty.

From what I've been told, burger presses are strictly for home use by gadget freaks. Commercial establishments don't use them -- the health inspector wouldn't pass them because they aren't considered sanitary. They either use the aforementioned metal rings, their bare (or gloved) hands, or they buy pre-made patties. That's it.

Posts: 122 | Registered: April 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just grab a 2lb package of 80/20 ground round and have the butcher at the grocery store make the patties. Worth it to me.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Form the meat into a ball.

Press between two cutting boards.

Why have a separate device for something like this?

Bingo! We looked at our favorite burger joints and the patties were thin not thick. I put 4 balls on the cutting board between wax paper and press down. Tasty burgers.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elephant burgers? Hmm, prolly a bit tough.

no no no
the baby elephant would mash them for her
Roll Eyes

and !
imagine the fun of going through the TSA with your service elephant

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Somethings you can not make burgers without a press such as salmon cakes. You need to add egg to hold it together and other ingredients like oat meal, onions, and peppers.

So it needs to be able to drop out of the bottom or it will easily fall apart.

The Tupperware unit meets these requirements but is too expensive. The GrillPro 24795 Stuffed Burger Press is like the Tupperware unit but is only $7.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onw...urger-Press/39925921

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I've been told, burger presses are strictly for home use by gadget freaks. Commercial establishments don't use them -- the health inspector wouldn't pass them because they aren't considered sanitary. They either use the aforementioned metal rings, their bare (or gloved) hands, or they buy pre-made patties. That's it.

While I have no problem being labeled a kitchen gadget freak (I also use a pressure cooker, rice cooker, various hand hammered steel woks, bamboo steamers, vacuum sealers, etc.), I have seen hamburger presses used in commercial kitchens. As to not being sanitary? I can't figure that one out. All my kitchen appliances get cleaned and sanitized prior to being put away, and then quickly sanitized again prior to use. On top of the metal (which is easy to sanitize) being clean, the meat in the patty never touches anything but the wax paper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B58A0OC/

We are actually very pleased with the results. The bottom comes out so the burger won't get stuck in the press. It made quick work of the 6 lbs of meat. Very easy and very reliably consistent burgers. We didn't use the stuffed burger option yet.

Thanks for the conversation. Smile

Posts: 45371 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You did good. Same principle as the Tupperware unit without the high price.

I got mine from my brother and when making salmon cakes where you have to add egg to hold it together, these are the best things since Dixie Cups. Not many people are aware of this kitchen tool. Can you imagine making patties with your hands that contained eggs? Yuck Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Burger Guru here.

Ground meat pressed firm (squeezed tightly) will give an inferior burger to another pressed less firm by hand and back of fork. You want your meat squeezed just right for maximum juiciness.

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
You want your meat squeezed just right

OOOOHHHH MYYYYYYY.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post