SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants a burger press
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants a burger press Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
A guy from health department was inspecting a restaurant. The cook, a fat guy wearing a 'wife beater' shirt, was making hamburgers. He would roll up a ball of meat, stick it into his armpit, squeeze it, and then throw it onto the grill.

"That's the nastiest thing I've ever seen", said the inspector.

"That ain't nuffin'", said the guy, "Come back in the morning when I'm making donuts."

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Burgers should be barely held together, mildly irregular, forms.

Unless of course Meatloaf Sandwiches are your thing.

Make a ball, flatten it with your hands (wax paper if you wish), and cook em.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I form the meat into a decent size ball then flatten with the back of a bread plate.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Does your dinnerware have a ring on the bottom? If so use one plate on top of the other.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We use this:

Weston Single Burger Press

The key is using the little wax paper squares. I bought a small box of them at a restaurant supply store 2 years ago, and haven't used half the box yet. I think it has 500 squares.

Here's 1000 wax paper squares for $12

I like the weston because it can adjust for patty size. I change the size depending on my burger mix and who I'm making burgers for. Big 3/4lb burgers for me and my friends, small 1/8lb for the kids and 1/4lb for people who like it "well done". Usually I'll mix up the meat the evening before, then in the morning smash out the burgers and lay them stacked 2 high across a cookie sheet. Then I toss them in the freezer until grill time. Makes the perfect burger. My moose burgers are well known in my circle of friends to be the best burger they've ever had.

Clean up for the press is easy and minimal. It comes apart in seconds. Generally there is about a table spoon of meat inside the press, which I either fry up or press into a child burger by hand. In 4 lbs of burgers, a tablespoon of meat. Mostly because I put too much in, expecting excess to squeeze out. That way I get really compacted burgers.

The press then washes up easily, and I spray it with a silicon based food-safe lubricating spray. You can get it at butcher shops, restaurant supply, cabelas, and of course Amazon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13953 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The key is using the little wax paper squares. I bought a small box of them at a restaurant supply store 2 years ago, and haven't used half the box yet. I think it has 500 squares.

Thanks for that, those squares will save me time which I can waste another way.
My press looks a lot like the one shown.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My gosh what a pointless invention. Just use your hands, or her hands.

Wouldn't work for me anyways. I make mine into the shape of a red blood cell. This way when it cooks it shrinks in an even disk and the inner and outer parts cook to same temp. This avoids the burger that is fat in the middle and over cooked on the edges. Try it that way I'm sure you guys will be happy with the results.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I suspect that this qualifies as a 1st-World problem. Wink

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
quote:

Thanks for that, those squares will save me time which I can waste another way.
My press looks a lot like the one shown.

I use two for each patty when "squishing" them. Then I pull the top one (which usually tears around the sides as part of the smash process) and toss it before freezing. Then, just as if you bought a pack of frozen patties, you roll it onto the grill or skillet using the bottom paper, without touching the meat. Helps to keep shape of the patty in the process.

Skins, don't knock it until you've tried it. It makes a superior shaped burger that cooks much more evenly. It also makes it much easier to add flavors and fillers to your burger. I typically add oatmeal, eggs, coconut oil, spices and a touch of bbq sauce. But I rarely use beef, and you need to add fat to extra lean meats. My moose burger mix is 90-95% lean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13953 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A simple wood press, together with a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking, which also keeps it from getting greasy/gross:

Hmmmm, seems kinda bacteria-ish.

Thus, the wax paper. Wink

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the tupperware one most of the time, it works and is easy to clean.

I also have the big metal one, from cabelas, and use it less frequently but it works just as well. You do need to use waxpaper with the metal one.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
On the rare occasion I cook and eat a burger, I simply knead it and squish it into a burger-ish shape. Then with my thumb I make a "crater" in the center. This helps the heat distribution, so the burger comes out evenly cooked.

And if you aren't cooking burgers over an open flame, all your efforts to make it pretty are for naught.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This is a gun forum dammit! Hit it with some case lube!

(And the press must be blue)

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Bald1's Tupperware maker has been around for at least 30 years. All you need is the maker and not the storage containers.

You use a bowl and add the meat, onions, peppers, seasoning, etc and mix it up with a fork. You place the maker on a small dish or wax paper. Next you use a spoon and fill the maker with enough for the thickness you want and then press it. You then just use the wax paper for storage in the freezer for later use or just slide it off into the pan.

Here are several that are similar to the Tupperware unit which sells for $40 with the maker and storage containers:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stu...atty-maker/170158607

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cui...N92UB6-fHLQWn8TOy-2Y

What I like about the Tupperware unit is that it is tall enough that you can control the thickness of the burger. So for under $10, you can get ones similar to the Tupperware unit at WalMart or other places like Bed, Bath.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Finish with FOX LABS pepper spray ... with UV tracer dye ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Big Grin

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I form the meat into a decent size ball then flatten with the back of a bread plate.

We do the same, with the addition of some wax paper to keep things neat.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Does she have hands? Razz

Tell her hand pressing burgers is good hand and arm cross-training to go along dishwashing.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We have had one of these for years and it works just fine.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A simple wood press, together with a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking, which also keeps it from getting greasy/gross:

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
If my wife wanted a burger press, I'd get her the best damn one I could find. Then when the next case of ammo showed up..... silence.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post