SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife wants a burger press
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife wants a burger press Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I'm researching these burger presses and the reviews mostly say the meat sticks unless you get one with a plunger that ejects the patty but those are hard to clean. So, which burger press gets the SIGforum seal of approval? Wife wants it unless they all are completely useless, which is my suspicion.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Does she have hands? Razz

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you're forming 50 burgers every weekend, you're going to spend a lot more time cleaning the thing than you could ever possibly save from making 10 burgers with them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some respects (actually damn few according to my wife)I am a neat freak.
So I use a burger press, I put a square of wax or parchment paper top and bottom and voilà nothing to clean-up. I make nice thick patties with a bit of onion in them which seem to stay together on the grill.
My press is a old die cast job from a place I used to work.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I use something like this and line it with plastic wrap before putting the meat in - allows for very easy removal of the patty.

Burger press

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
A simple wood press, together with a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking, which also keeps it from getting greasy/gross:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A guy from health department was inspecting a restaurant. The cook, a fat guy wearing a 'wife beater' shirt, was making hamburgers. He would roll up a ball of meat, stick it into his armpit, squeeze it, and then throw it onto the grill.

"That's the nastiest thing I've ever seen", said the inspector.

"That ain't nuffin'", said the guy, "Come back in the morning when I'm making donuts."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
two cool whip lids and a counter top.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Form the meat into a ball.

Press between two cutting boards.

Why have a separate device for something like this?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tupperware makes a nifty press and stackable patty storage units. Had ours with about two dozen storage disks for maybe two decades now.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MTAx-_JjT_k

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 of the round deli containers work quite well, also. I only really make enough burgers to need one once per year, so this was a extremely in-expensive solution.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Does she have hands? Razz
You've forced me to ask you to "boop" yourself on the head. Do it!

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Ateco-1...keywords=burger+ring
I have some dinosaur shaped cookie cutters. I could just make dinoburgers.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
In some respects (actually damn few according to my wife)I am a neat freak.
So I use a burger press, I put a square of wax or parchment paper top and bottom and voilà nothing to clean-up. I make nice thick patties with a bit of onion in them which seem to stay together on the grill.
My press is a old die cast job from a place I used to work.
I suppose using the wax paper is the way to go. I did find one that has a removable bottom so you just lift it out with the burger but amazon has it listed as an Add-On item and I can't just buy it on it's own. Bah!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The best part of a handmade burger (pan fried) is the crispy edges from a patty which isn't perfectly circular. <boop> Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using one like this for years with great results. You can adjust the thickness. I make half pound burgers with 80/20 ground beef. It's especially useful when we have a lot of people over and I make the patties up ahead of time. We use the burger wax paper squares on top and bottom of the burger so nothing sticks to the patty maker. I get consistent size burgers every time I cook so my cooking times and temperature give me consistent results (on my Big Green Egg).

https://images-na.ssl-images-a...f6jxBsFL._SX425_.jpg

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I use something like this and line it with plastic wrap before putting the meat in - allows for very easy removal of the patty.

Burger press
Seems like a good solution. Thanks.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A simple wood press, together with a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking, which also keeps it from getting greasy/gross:

Hmmmm, seems kinda bacteria-ish.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
two cool whip lids and a counter top.
Maybe an old soup can to roll out pie crust to go with it. Razz