SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first horrible news thread of 2017
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first horrible news thread of 2017 Login/Join 
posted
I just found out yesterday , while visiting Costco.

Costco can not make their Premium Vanilla Ice cream , thats right, there was none to be had in the freezer case.

The manager of the store told me that 85% of the vanilla bean crop that Costco had contracted to purchase was lost to bad weather and they ( Costco) is s.o.l. finding them elsewhere .

I found this on a vanilla bean website:
As most of you are aware, the vanilla industry is currently in crisis and there is an acute shortage of vanilla beans.

The traders who purchase vanilla beans in volume are hopeful that as the new crop comes to market we will see prices drop some though there is no guarantee that this will occur.

Traders are waiting to assess the market before purchasing beans as market prices are more than $600 a kilo at source.

After 24 years of enjoying Kirkland Premium, My June has been devastated.

sorry to be the bearer of this tragedy.

http://www.vanillaqueen.com/expensive-vanilla/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there's money to be made in vanilla bean futures.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's what chocolate and hot fudge is for, it's better anyway

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good thing I picked up a big jug of their Vanilla extract a few months ago.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...damn Russians... Wink

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Noooooooo! Not Vanilla Bean!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
sounds like I need to pick me up some on the way home this evening (it's still here in San Diego).

Oh and some root beer. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
about once a summer I like it with a spoon full of Smuckers chocolate, a spoon full of carmel and a half a fist of pecan nuts.

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

There already has been, but maybe not now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Costco, Schmostco.

The title of BEST ice cream in the USA is shared equally by two brands in the PACNW - Tillamook and Umpqua.

All else is dross.

tac

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Oh, the Humanity!!
How can I go on???

Wait, the Row restaurant & bar added a new covered outdoor deck with a separate outdoor bar earlier this Spring. The Row is directly behind our store building.
From peering out my 3rd floor office window, it appears that there are a few open tables on the covered outdoor deck. Perhaps I will saunter across the parking lot and ponder a plan of action for my future devoid of vanilla beans.

I must move forward!! I must not disappoint bendable!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

There already has been, but maybe not now.
General fact:
By the time you hear about such things on a forum like this, the time has passed, unfortunately.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I hear there's a lot of Blue Bell sitting in a sub-freezing warehouse somewhere that can be had for a song Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It could be worse. But I confirmed yesterday Hershey is still shipping cans of chocolate syrup.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Condolences

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was going to panic there for a minute but then remembered that my favorite flavor is French Vanilla so I guess I am OK

whew - dodged one right there

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I blame ISIS and Kathy Griffin

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
I blame ISIS and Kathy Griffin
I blame the unnecessary interjection of politics into apolitical threads.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Costco, Schmostco.

The title of BEST ice cream in the USA is shared equally by two brands in the PACNW - Tillamook and Umpqua.

All else is dross.

tac

tac: AGREE
if you need/want/can schedule time at ARPC range during your visit to yooojean, I'd be happy to invite you as a guest.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I need to go check the sales figures,
oh wait , no I don't Big Grin