SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleeping Tesla driver at 93mph.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping Tesla driver at 93mph..... Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Tesla needs a new kind of seatbelt and airbag to protect a prone driver. Something as an add on.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
And people wonder why folks drive aggressively around Teslas..

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna second Para's response. Ban these things. I love tech. Have worked in and around that world for over 20 years, but I think we've reached a point where tech is no longer a help mate in accomplishing our lives, but rather is now being positioned as something to do everything for us. That paradigm is unhealthy. If we don't allow or teach our children to do things for themselves they become weak and dependent. Tech is truly doing that very thing to society as a whole today.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
About the only thing worse than loosing self-driving cars/trucks on the public highways would be to have layman-hacked versions of the above out and about.

Utter nonsense.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have trouble believing that a self-driving program would allow the car to blatantly exceed maximum speed limits.

As for self-driving cars in general, look at all the problems we have with computers already, then imagine them in a two-ton moving vehicle.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
You know what’s bound to happen next?

I’m sure everyone here has heard of The Mile High Club.

There’s bound to be a 60mph Club eventually.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I guess I am in the minority here, but I see a great future for autopilot in passenger vehicles. While I don't think we're there yet, and I agree it's stupid to sleep while your car runs down the highway at 90 mph, I think the net effect will be a lot of lives saved.

There certainly will be glitches, and no one wants to be the object of that glitch, but even when the autopilot screws up and injures/kills someone, it's going to be significantly less people per mile driven than are being slaughtered as we speak by human drivers.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ And then how long until it's mandated to use self-driving technology on the highway? Screw all that. My freedom has been eroded away enough. I refuse to give up any more of it and that of my children's for some extra "security." Liberty or death and all of that.

Maybe that sounds hyperbolic. So be it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
You know what’s bound to happen next?

I’m sure everyone here has heard of The Mile High Club.

There’s bound to be a 60mph Club eventually.

You're about 18 months late to the party, pal. Wink Big Grin

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
In the next 30 years, we will see self driving cars on a networked network of freeways a la Minority Report.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have not received my flying car yet.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I can see it now: "Ocifer! I wasn't driving under the influence! My car was the designated driver!"
Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I can see it now: "Ocifer! I wasn't driving under the influence! My car was the designated driver!"
Roll Eyes

I was informed by an officer in Wyoming while riding a horse back from the bar that it was still considered dui even though the horse knew it’s way back. I passed the sobriety tests and was sent on my way with some new found knowledge.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post