SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleeping Tesla driver at 93mph.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping Tesla driver at 93mph..... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Self driving cars - this was bound to happen eventually -
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ing-car-93mph/

Tesla driver found napping behind wheel of self-driving car at 93mph.

A Canadian man has been charged with dangerous driving after police in Alberta said they found him asleep at the wheel of an electric self-driving Tesla car while it was driving at more than 93mph.

The Royal Canadian Mounted police said the Tesla Model S car was seen driving along a highway at high speed, with both people inside the car asleep with their seats reclined.

“The car appeared to be self-driving, travelling over 140 km/h, with both front seats completely reclined and both occupants appearing to be asleep,” the police said.

When police turned on their emergency lights, the car automatically accelerated to more than 90mph, police said.

Police Sgt Darri Turnbull told CBC News that “nobody was looking out the windshield to see where the car was going. Nobody appeared to be in the car, but the vehicle sped up because the line was clear in front."

“I've been in policing for over 23 years, and the majority of that in traffic law enforcement, and I'm speechless,” he added. “I've never, ever seen anything like this before but of course the technology wasn't there.”

The 20-year-old driver was charged with speeding and given a 24-hour licence suspension. He was also charged with dangerous driving and has been summoned to court for December.

The incident took place outside of Edmonton, near Ponoka, in July.

Tesla’s self-driving Autopilot feature has previously seen a number of incidents in which police said drivers fell asleep at the wheel while their car continued to travel.

In 2018, police in California arrested a driver after finding him slumped at the wheel of his moving Tesla Model S on a main road south of San Francisco.

Unable to rouse the driver using lights and sirens, officers were forced to drive in front of his car and slow down in order to stop it while using other police cars to keep other traffic away.

Superintendent Gary Graham of Alberta RCMP Traffic Services said: "Although manufacturers of new vehicles have built in safeguards to prevent drivers from taking advantage of the new safety systems in vehicles, those systems are just that — supplemental safety systems. They are not self-driving systems, they still come with the responsibility of driving."

My thoughts?

Well, for a start, can he be charged with dangerous driving, as he was not actually driving the car at the time - the AI in the car was. He was just an occupier...hmmmmm.

And now we have these vehicles and a couple of others like them here on the roads of UK, where the traffic density is often frightening.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A 24 hour license suspension doesn’t seem like enough.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This kind of thing will become epidemic. People are going to die as a result of this insanity- lots and lots of people. You watch. This crap will be abused like nothing you've ever seen.

Take these freakin' things off the road. We do not need self-driving cars. Outlaw them.

Just wait until you have a family member or friend killed by a driverless 18-wheeler.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Well, for a start, can he be charged with dangerous driving, as he was not actually driving the car at the time - the AI in the car was. He was just an occupier...hmmmmm.

He's still the "operator" as in he controlled the inputs to start the vehicle, so he is responsible for the driving.

I know a guy that was busted for OUI while sitting in his driveway. He got into a fight with his girlfriend, said "F this, I'm sleeping in the car" grabbed a 6 pack and drank them while listening to the radio.
She called the cops, and he was busted because he was drinking in his car, while having the keys in the ignition. Didn't matter that he was in the back seat, he was "in control" of the vehicle.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't trust technology enough to ever sleep in an autonomous car.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
When police turned on their emergency lights, the car automatically accelerated to more than 90mph, police said.

Who programs the vehicle to attempt to elude? Did they hire the guys from Grand Theft Auto?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Who programs the vehicle to attempt to elude? Did they hire the guys from Grand Theft Auto?

Smile

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Smile

I think the driver had set a high speed and when traffic in front of the Tesla moved out of the way due to police lights and sirens, the car saw it as the road being clear, and sped up.

But I don't have a self driving car so... Big Grin

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The current version of Tesla autopilot still requires the driver to put his hands on the wheel every ~15 seconds. If you ignore the warnings the system shuts down and stops the car. For it to be truly hands free long enough for the driver to recline and sleep he had to modify the car somehow. That should be an additional charge added to his stupidity. Most attach a weight to the steering wheel to fool the system into thinking the driver has hands-on.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Cop should have just gotten in front of it and hit his brakes. With all the systems in the Tesla, it would have braked hard to slow down.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
You think this is bad, wait till a significant portion of vehicles are AI driven and then get hacked by the Chinese.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw signs in Canada that said they could confiscate your vehicle for speeding, on site.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you might have money to buy a Tesla, but you don't have enough money to buy the brains to operate one

he should have the car confiscated and he should be banned from driving for life

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
you might have money to buy a Tesla, but you don't have enough money to buy the brains to operate one

he should have the car confiscated and he should be banned from driving for life

^^^^
This.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A Tesla will accelerate to avoid an impact. (People drive very aggressively against them. The first day I had mine, it changed lanes to avoid being hit by a lunatic who drove straight at it/other cars as well, but it’s as bad as my yellow boxster for attracting road rage.)

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Sovereign Citizen 'traveler' defense could come into play here.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
All this dependence on technology has a long, loooooonggggg way to go...

'Hacking' vehicles has been a reality for some time.

What could possibly go wrong?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG4F5xKqNf4

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
The current version of Tesla autopilot still requires the driver to put his hands on the wheel every ~15 seconds. If you ignore the warnings the system shuts down and stops the car. For it to be truly hands free long enough for the driver to recline and sleep he had to modify the car somehow. That should be an additional charge added to his stupidity. Most attach a weight to the steering wheel to fool the system into thinking the driver has hands-on.

Yup. He had to hack it.

What our fine police men and women need is free technology from Tesla, an app, that shuts the got damn car down. Instant felony, behind the bars you go to get butt fucked by a big buck named Bubba. Same for smartphone distracted driving. Watch all this shit change overnight. Just need a few guinea pigs to get felonies and post all over their bullshit social media applications. #Imafelonnow

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
One of the guys at work has a Tesla, he had it drive around for us while he stood there next to us. One would think that with all the sensors and whatnot packed into a Tesla, that they'd be able to recognize police cars with lights and sirens going, have the Tesla slow down and pull off to the side of the road. Wild shit though, the future is weird.

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

He's still the "operator" as in he controlled the inputs to start the vehicle, so he is responsible for the driving.

I know a guy that was busted for OUI while sitting in his driveway. He got into a fight with his girlfriend, said "F this, I'm sleeping in the car" grabbed a 6 pack and drank them while listening to the radio.
She called the cops, and he was busted because he was drinking in his car, while having the keys in the ignition. Didn't matter that he was in the back seat, he was "in control" of the vehicle.

Bet that cop is real fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are stupid but sorry, we don’t need an app to shut any car down, ever by anyone. I know it can already be done in most new cars but it shouldn’t be made easier for someone to control an individuals private property no matter how dumb they are.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post