SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Auction** One of a Kind Prototype SIG-Sauer pistol
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Auction** One of a Kind Prototype SIG-Sauer pistol Login/Join 
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
This was in the late 80's. I'm trying to recall the shop's name and the owner's name.

The owner was probably in his late 30's, dark hair. He kept his black chow, Teddy, in the store with him.

The store originally started out in a small strip mall on W. Church Rd near the creek. After a year or two it was moved into a business park in Cascades.

Best of luck with the auction waynewash!

Posts: 1240 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Para, will there be some kind of letter from SIG (Rich Morovitz) "certifying" the prototype nature of this gun? Thanks.

Posts: 11514 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I knew Lee, when we both worked at Odin in 1982. That's him in the photo on the ID.

The men that worked there were all a part of who I became today, and I owe all of them, but in particular Tom N. and Jack K., a huge debt, one I'm not sure I can ever settle, save by acting with young men as they did with me.

quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
This was in the late 80's. I'm trying to recall the shop's name and the owner's name.

IIRC, it was Sterling Guns.

I didn't know it moved; I thought it simply closed circa 1994.

It was two doors down from the current Joe's Cafe.

If the winner lives in NOVA, I'll happily do the transfer for free.

Nice is overrated

And people wonder why I carry a SIG P320

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 24629 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:

IIRC, it was Sterling Guns.

I didn't know it moved; I thought it simply closed circa 1994.

It was two doors down from the current Joe's Cafe.

I believe that's it and I think the owner's first name might have been Frank.

I was told the landlord did not care for the size of the signage they had, which was the same size as the rest of the occupants. I believe the real issue was guns being advertised. The owner had enough of the BS and moved where it would not be an issue.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
well, this is exciting for me. For me, it's like someone who drinks regular wine in the middle of a group of people going gaga over some rare french vintage. And the good thing about SigForum is I know it's not over some hype.

It's also interesting to see the knowledge of members here as they pick out the differences and nuances.

And I like the sense of community from the restrictions on the auction.

Best of luck on the auction to everyone.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 12308 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a low post guy unable to bid (but huge P228 fan), I can still appreciate how ultra cool this historic pistol is. Bravo for those making this auction possible, and congrats to the eventual winner!

In a sense, we all have already won based on the shared knowledge that has been gleaned thus far.

MudPhud

Posts: 15 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Para, will there be some kind of letter from SIG (Rich Morovitz) "certifying" the prototype nature of this gun? Thanks.

This would be nice to go along with the auction and likely increase the value.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lee was a former US Navy fighter pilot, Air America Pilot, and a gunsmith at Odin Intl./Collectors Armory.

As my father was both a US Navy fighter pilot (25 yrs), and an Air America pilot for 8 yrs (67-74 Vientiane, Laos), makes this an added interesting auction to me. The AA community was pretty small. I will ask him if he remembers Lee, they all kept in touch with reunions and a news letter. Original thread is indicating around 2008-2009.

America First!

Posts: 868 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector, I just view guns as tools and shoot 'em. That said, this gun is awesome and the $4k reserve seems fair to me, I bet it will go to a very appreciative Sigforum home (as it should).

Edit: thank you Wayne and Para for the work on this, I loved reading about this gun from the start of the first thread about it, super cool.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/

Posts: 2306 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yep, thanks to everyone who helped make this happen.

I may be a participant in the auction, I just have to convince myself.

Ahh, hell, I know I'll bid!

----------------------------------
This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1005 | Location: Way south Texas | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to speak with Lee Salter several times in the late '80s while he was with Sig. He helped me when I had a couple of small issues with a used P226 I'd bought.

During one conversation, I mentioned that I loved the gun but would like to see something a bit smaller that would fit my hand a little better. He said sort of cryptically, "You might not have to wait very long."

Little did I know....

He was particularly helpful in early 1989 when I told him that Dallas PD hadn't been able to get a couple of pistols to test for our upcoming transition from revolvers. He made a couple of calls and got them for us. The P226 ended up coming out the winner during evaluations and became the issue sidearm.

Posts: 2855 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich is in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to a lack of documentation on the pistol. Rich stated in an email that the pistol generated a great deal of interest amongst people at SIG-Sauer and he considers the pistol worthy of a spot in a SIG-Sauer museum. This email is not something I'm going to distribute or publish, since it contains information not related to the pistol, which does not need to be seen by others. We'll provide the auction winner with a copy, though.

If you guys want a letter from SIG-Sauer certifying this pistol, it's not going to happen. Rich believes it to be authentic, as do I, but we're talking about events from 30 years ago, and the documentation simply no longer exists.

Posts: 76153 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of the two magazines which accompany the pistol.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Rich is in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to a lack of documentation on the pistol. Rich stated in an email that the pistol generated a great deal of interest amongst people at SIG-Sauer and he considers the pistol worthy of a spot in a SIG-Sauer museum. This email is not something I'm going to distribute or publish, since it contains information not related to the pistol, which does not need to be seen by others. We'll provide the auction winner with a copy, though.

Thank you. That is more than good enough for me. Cool

Posts: 11514 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very much looking forward to this beginning tomorrow!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 7848 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I'll go first. In for $4000.00.

Posts: 1957 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool. I'll bid $4,000.01. Just to say I bid on it.

I should be outbid in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1...

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Cool. I'll bid $4,000.01. Just to say I bid on it.

I should be outbid in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1...

It's $25 increment. Wink

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Serious bidders only, please

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Might as well, $4,025.00. Cool