SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new mower....update pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new mower....update pg 3 Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a Husqvarna self propelled with a Honda engine that I bought at an end of season close out Rural King had. It's been good for 4 years but it's not as good as a genuine Honda. I'd get the $400 Honda self propelled if I needed a new one. I've got less than $250 in my Husky.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Honda here too, 8 years old, serviced every spring and runs great, first pull, always. Also I run ethanol free only gas!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OK! I received the mower yesterday, Fedex dropped it off at 1700...ughhh after waiting all day.

I got it all out of the box, put oil in the engine, and disposed of the trash, couldn't mow as it was already late and I had no gas.

Today, I pulled it ONCE!! and it started!

Also, I did get the self propelled one (RWD) per Mrs. Mike; and I can say IT IS WORTH IT. Super easy to use. You can still pull backwards, it helps climb and the pace is easy to advance or retard....just freaking awesome.

THANKS Imaginary Friends! you did me a solid!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Mike, good luck with your new Honda and I'm glad you like the self-propelled part.

My Honda is now into its 21st season (oil and air filter changes yearly, spark plug every other year) and it's showing its age (I've had to replace two wheels and the pull cord), but it still runs by the third or fourth pull. Unfortunately, the self propelled drive gave up the ghost on season 11 or so. Thought she'd never admit it, my wife probably had something to do with that so I'd get more exercise.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike! Now where’s the lawnmower protection picture?!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A few dudes in my neighborhood have bought Simplicity brand riders. They tell me the quality and value is very good. But whatever you pick, if it has a Briggs or Honda engine, I would get that. My Husqvarna has a Briggs, and my pressure washer has a Honda, and they both start on the first try every single time. I do annual maintenance which probably doesn't hurt. I have heard though that the John Dere riders at the big box stores aren't really JD products, but just their name slapped on some chinese junk, but I don't know how true that is or not. Makes me wonder how you would know if you had a JD if you wanted a real one.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nice. I scored a used Honda self-propelled for super cheap on Craig's List. No regrets.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 1995 Snapper Hi-Vac Commercial model with a 190cc Briggs engine super cheap off of craigslist. It has a worn out drive wheel and needed a chute. It was cheaper to buy another used mower just to get parts off of it.

Second mower, even cheaper, from 1984, but with a smaller engine. Bought it to get parts. It too still works very well! I feel bad scavenging parts off a good working mower. Perhaps I'll buy a third one that is closer to it's death and get two good mowers.
BTW, the two mowers were one third the cost of a new one.

Unlike the Hondas, it takes three or four pulls instead of one or two. I can live with that.

Neighbor's yard was up over a foot high (widow, with grandson no longer helping her). First mower tore through it very well, even with the bad drive wheel.

I decided to buy used as newer Briggs are made in China now. These old Made in USA ones are like tanks, very well made and keep on going! No regrets in buying good stuff, even if used.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
OK! I received the mower yesterday, Fedex dropped it off at 1700...ughhh after waiting all day.

I got it all out of the box, put oil in the engine, and disposed of the trash, couldn't mow as it was already late and I had no gas.

Today, I pulled it ONCE!! and it started!

Also, I did get the self propelled one (RWD) per Mrs. Mike; and I can say IT IS WORTH IT. Super easy to use. You can still pull backwards, it helps climb and the pace is easy to advance or retard....just freaking awesome.

THANKS Imaginary Friends! you did me a solid!

What...no picture? Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:

I decided to buy used as newer Briggs are made in China now. These old Made in USA ones are like tanks, very well made and keep on going! No regrets in buying good stuff, even if used.
Briggs and Stratton manufactures engines in the U.S. as well as overseas in several countries .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Bought a Honda Harmony and never looked back. That was 15 years ago. Aside from making the initial purchase, all it's costs me is a tune up once a year. If i have replace it it will be another Honda. But I am 57 and hoping that this one out lives me.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post