SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new mower....update pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new mower....update pg 3 Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
So just got a new yard, its small, I feel I can push mow it in under 45 minutes.

Lowes has some really cheap push mowers and I don't want a powered drive AWD, RWD or FWD mower.

21" seems to be the normal size.

Don't want wonky blades that take two blades or such.

Don't want battery powered.

I want it to mulch or bag as I desire.

I looked online at a Husqvarna and was liking their mower. I've had their riding zero in the past and I have one of their back pack blowers and am generally impressed with their quality, but I'd figure I'd ask the hive for their input.

What say you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Honda.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snapper.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Honda

I have a Honda commercial model, 21" push mower my Dad bought in 1980 or so. I have had the carb rebuilt a few yrs back, but it still starts with the 1st or 2nd pull. They are REALLY built.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Honda

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Honda

I have 3 of them!
The one from 1995 still runs but it's underpowered. The 6.5 is awesome.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Honda

We bought ours around 1988. It’s been cutting grass ever since. My daughter grabbed it several years ago and loves it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Honda.

Bought one for our house in Chattanooga a couple years ago. Works 10 (20, 100) times better than the Craftsman mower we had before.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HRT216 TRD. Still starts on the 1st pull. It gets a Seafoam treatment, then filter, oil and spark plugs during the winterizing process.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As the majority says.... Honda. The 400 dollar self propelled model. Trust me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Honda. (I’m seeing a theme in this thread)
12 trouble free years. Easy/minimal maint. always starts on 1st pull.
Strongly Suggest to buy from a Honda Power Equipment Dealer (not big box).
The base non propelled version is a good value.

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
As has been said, I don't think it's possible to beat Honda small engines.

That said, I have a Husky 21 inch mower that I use for the edges of my lawn that the rider can't get to. I've had it for four years now and never had to pull more than once for it to fire right up. It's a good quality machine. I think I paid around $250 for it and it's been flawless.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Honda.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone has given any consideration to Honda, but I'm very happy with mine. The two blades has never caused me any problems. Also I never thought I wanted a self propelled until I had one, it's not a bad thing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The Husq is fine if you take care of it. The auto choke works well. Get one with large rear wheels.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a husqavarna mower and wouldn't get another. It's been a finicky machine. The carb and auto choke are sensitive requiring frequent cleaning. I keep mine clean too, but it's a mower and gets dusty and dirty and shouldn't require dissembly yearly or more to keep it running.

Neighbor has a Honda he does nothing to but put gas in and change oil and it starts right up every year.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about a Honda?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how much you want to spend on the machine.

My dad has a Honda I believe but for about 35 years he would only own a Lawn Boy.

When my Lawn Boy went down, (which I got from my dad and it was 25 years old) I drove across the streets to Sears to buy mine.

I didn't want nor did we have a lot of money to spend. I think mine is a Craftsman Gold Series with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

It has the mulcher and bag attachment. It is about 5 to 7 years old. It has never missed a beat and I have been pretty rough on it.

I need to take it in for a tune up and have the blade sharpened.

I paid like $199 for it on sale. I just wish it had bigger rear wheels. I only say that because the house in Durham the grass is so freaking thick. When we lived for Richmond all those years it was fine.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I am beginning to detect a theme....

Thanks everyone

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post