SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arizona people
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona people Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got my mower back today and I am $530 lighter in the pocket.

Got my clothes packed and ammo laid out. going to lay out the guns and cases. I would like to shoot a shotgun I bought a while back and have never shot yet.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Isn't Gunsite the one that you can sometimes get discount coupons to attend? Are those for the same 5 day course you're going to?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never have seen a discount coupon for gunsite, however you can visit their website in the winter sometimes and they run a special once in a while, but they are usually very limited time to respond.
I did get in on one similar, it was not a whole lot off, maybe $75 each..for two of us.
That is a pretty small percent off, but it is something. They do offer discounts for places to stay. The place we are staying gives some good discounts that we qualify for.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, made it to Prescott today. it was a long haul from Ohio.
2.5 days driving. Stayed in Ok. City and Gallup N.M..
I hate driving through mountains, unless on my UTV.
Need to find a better route home.
At least out of Arizona. I hated driving thru N.M.
I am so tired, not looking forward to gunsite in the early morning. I am staying about 22 miles from there in Prescott.
Will update on class.

posted Hide Post
Expecting some action video. Gallup used to just be liquor stores and Indian jewelry. Stayed there once in a motel. Had the bed massage thing for a quarter. Classy place.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you if you came across on I-40 that is the flattest way. Ordinarily I'd suggest going up through Utah and picking up I-70 and across through Colorado, but that is going to be a lot more mountains.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I hate to tell you if you came across on I-40 that is the flattest way. Ordinarily I'd suggest going up through Utah and picking up I-70 and across through Colorado, but that is going to be a lot more mountains.
A lot more scenic, though. Plus the ability to visit a few really fine National Parks.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I will do, my wife wants to go to the Grand ycanyon.

It is the end of day 2 of the 5 day Defensive 3 gun. The first 2 days were all pistol.

We learned grip, aiming, stance, trigger control,
tac reloading, and on and on. We learned to clear stove pipes and double loads today or stoppages.
We learned to step forward, backward, right and left and then shooting. We learned to try to get 2 rounds off in a certain amt. of time. We did 2 to center mass(vitals) and 2 to the head shots.
We did one leg and then two leg kneeling.

We did so much I cannot even remember it all right now, I am so tired. Of course we did dry firing.
Wed it will be carbines. We will do the same things we did with the pistol.

My hands are so chewed up right now, I hope they feel better tomorrow. Racking the slide on a full size .45(Sig TME) is okay if you are shooting 100-150rds. 600 is a lot different.

The pistol 250 class would be a real challenge with 5 days of pistol. The timing parts we went thru today added stress to the exercises we did today. I think that is one reason I am so tired tonight. It was hot today and we covered a lot.
The heat, the stress and all the things we did today is taxing for a guy who is retired.
We answer questions about this and will post more tomorrow. This should be a little more fun and hopefully less blood letting on my hands.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
You might want to look into the Grand Canyon Railroad. It leaves out of Williams and you can book trips to go up and back in the same day. Possibly she can drop you off at Gunsite and she can continue on up to Williams and catch the train.

http://grandcanyontraintour.co...avyCBfTfzxoCjcfw_wcB

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New camera, staying in Prescott, you would be doing a disservice to your family if you don't take a drive through Sedona's Red Rock!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Didja notice how no one pronounces it PresScott, but instead they pronounce it more like a fast spoken PressKit?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Sedona beautiful, wife took cell pics.
Have not shown her how to use it..what little I know so far.

posted Hide Post
The Gunsite academy has been kicking our butts.

Dehydration and exercises I am not used to.

information overload.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Papa's is just block or two off the square in downtown Prescott. Really, really, really good Italian food.

My wife and I did make it to Papas, had a great meal with great service...only saw mama though, no papa

posted Hide Post
We finished two days of carbine(AR).
It was grueling. My arms were about to drop off.
Holding the AR in the low ready and the high ready was very tough for the amount of time we had to do it. We did 50 yd zero and shot, then 100 yd zero then shot and then a 200 yd zero and shot.
I found that between the neck injury I have and my vison, shooting from the prone from 200 is no longer my thing.

Again we did mag changes and timed exercises. One shot, mag change and 2 shots. We did this from various distances. We shot from kneeling, a couple different sitting and squatting positions as well. We shot from the low ready and the high ready. We did a night shoot with the AR and the pistol and flashlight. We were taught different ways to shoot while holding the light with a pistol and if you did not have a weapon mounted light for you AR, you were shown how to shoot it while holding a light.
One guy had to hold the light and shoot his AR 10. While shooting prone his brass went under my left elbow and burned me. It singed a gash in me.
We had a head instructor who really liked his gear and no other. He was all Glock pistol and for ARs he like Colt and FN, because they were the only Mil spec ARs he said.
He thought my Sig C3 was junk. I think not.
He told me I was in love with it and that it was too bad for me.
I had contacted Gunsite and asked if I should use my ACOG. I was told no, Aimpoint. I asked if I needed my 3X magnifier and was told no. I really could have used it at 100 and 200 yds, but it would have been added weight for the other drills. I could not read the target numbers at 200 thru the Aimpoint.

The instructors were very knowledgeable.
There was very little time to do much else.
We worked on the range from 8am to 4:30 the first day and 5pm the next day. On Thursday we were supposed to go from 8am to 3pm and then
come back at 8pm to 10pm. But, we did not get out until 5. It was a 43 minute drive to our hotel. We ate cleaned up a little and then had a fire alarm and had to leave the room and go outside for a half hour for the second night in a row. So, we pretty much just came back and ate and went back. I did get my light mounted on my AR before I went back.
The night shoot was really great. We turned the light on for a second, shot twice in a hearbeat, turned off the light and moved.
By the time we got that done we were exhausted.
Went back to the room and my son said he was not feeling well. Showered went to bed. At 1am my son woke and was sick to his stomach. He puked over and over and could not keep anything down. Finally at 3am we took him to the emergency room for 4 hours. Dr. said he had dehydration and either food poisoning or a bug of some kind.
He was pretty sick the next morning so, I did not feel right leaving with our only car, in case he needed to go back to the E room.
I was pretty tired after not having slept much either, so we missed the shotgun training.

I lost my Peltor Electronic ear muffs there, not sure how or where, but they are gone. They were one of the only pieces of gear I took without my name on them.