SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Report: State doesn’t know whether 80% of people with revoked FOID cards are still armed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: State doesn’t know whether 80% of people with revoked FOID cards are still armed Login/Join 
posted
For those who do not know, these cards are required of residents to purchase both ammunition and firearms in Illinois. I am not surprised that there was no followup. Seems to me like it was a useless money grab and a waste of time. I am not for gun control. The solution of course is to increase fees so that they can followup on revocations. Repealing the law is the proper course of action. Here is the story:

CHICAGO — The Chicago Tribune has found 30,000 people may still possess guns despite having their Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards revoked.

That has happened in 80 percent of cases over the past four years.

The report says every county in the state fails to ensure that revoked cardholders turn in their guns.

Among those whose cards are revoked are people who were convicted of domestic violence and those with mental health concerns.

There is a state proposal to increase cardholder fees to pay for a task force to follow up on revocations.

Domestic violence, mental health concerns and felony convictions are the most common reasons for a FOID card revocation.

According to the Chicago Tribune:

• The state rescinded 10,527 FOID cards for domestic violence-related reasons, including battery convictions and orders of protection. Of those former cardholders, 81 percent have not accounted for any guns.

• The state revoked 10,067 FOID cards for mental health concerns, including voluntary and non-voluntary hospitalizations. The whereabouts of those citizens’ firearms are unknown in nearly three of four cases.

• Of 157 Cook County residents who committed suicide with firearms in 2018, nine had revoked FOID cards.

• Chicago accounts for about half of the 10,382 revocations in Cook County. Orland Park and Schaumburg are second and third in the county with 151 and 145 revocations each.

• Among towns with more than 10,000 adults, Mount Vernon, Kankakee, Marion and Plainfield had the highest non-compliance rates in the state.

Revoked cardholders are supposed to surrender their FOID cards to their local police department within 48 hours and fill out a form stating their guns have been transferred either to police or to a legal gun owner.

Most police agencies fail to act on the letters that notify them about FOID revocations. It’s considered a labor-intensive job that requires investigators to find out where the licensees used their FOID cards and confirm what weapons were purchased.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/05/23/r...rdholders-are-armed/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well...good.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
betting they want to go Cali style and form a ISP squad to just go around and search those that have been revoked,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
• The state rescinded 10,527 FOID cards for domestic violence-related reasons, including battery convictions and orders of protection. Of those former cardholders, 81 percent have not accounted for any guns.

Weird, must be that lake thing going on Roll Eyes

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to high school in Orland Park. I was kind of surprised to see it listed. Upon further thinking those residents were probably more likely to bother with a FOID card. Those living in rougher suburbs probably just drove to Indiana and got ammo.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well...good.

Is it? I don't think so. If there is a law on the books it should be enforced. If you're shit enough to get a conviction related to domestic violence, perhaps you shouldn't have guns...

Really though, those pushing for more laws point to existing laws not being enough... well let's enforce them and find out. Otherwise people get a pass on insisting "red flag" laws are necessary, the kind where there is no trial and maybe no judge.

People who have had no interactions with the criminal justice system should not have restricted rights. Those convicted of violence, yeah, their rights may need some restricting.

People who abuse spouses or children are probably not stable enough to own guns.

When existing gun laws are not enforced, there is no upside. Enforcing existing law would actually let them be evaluated, and gee maybe more laws aren't needed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
This is in Illinois? Add gas and light a match.

They are the leftist poster child with all that is wrong with the country.

"Most police agencies fail to act on the letters that notify them about FOID revocations. It’s considered a labor-intensive job that requires investigators to find out where the licensees used their FOID cards and confirm what weapons were purchased."

Oh, it's actually WORK. Cry me a river.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The FOID card has been around a long time. I got mine when they first started this at age 16 in the 1960's. I needed it to buy hunting ammo, but under age I could not buy anything that fit in a handgun. As I recall the law was touted to prevent criminals and mental defectives from buying guns and ammunition.

In a full serving of irony, later when I was on active duty and came home on leave following a tour in Southeast Asia, my FOID card had expired. I tried to buy shotgun shells for a rabbit hunt but even though I was an active duty military policeman couldn't buy shells. My local friends sneaked me a shotgun and ammo for the hunt and I killed a lot of rabbits but we worried about being arrested. The hasenpfeffer was good.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
When existing gun laws are not enforced, there is no upside.

Except when the law is bad like most of them in the libtard east US and the rest of the commie states.
Does mag capacity laws actual help anyone?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chicago Tribune has found 30,000 people may still possess guns despite having their Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards revoked.

Shock news title, they can't possibly have interviewed and searched the property of 30,000 people the liberal Trib is simply taking the total number of FOID cards revoked and they are just implying that all of them still kept guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Except when the law is bad like most of them in the libtard east US and the rest of the commie states.

The FOID law was a trick used by Little Richie Daley to fool the Illinois gun owners into thinking that would be the only gun restriction. We fell for it, and discovered that it was, in fact, the camel's nose into the tent.

By the way, this was told to me by a former head of the ISRA some years back, while we were trying to not be the last state in the union to allow concealed carry.

As to enforcing bad laws, I'm without words, Arc. Red laws that restrict our right to counsel and a trial are abhorrent.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

My comment stands.

Enforce the existing laws.

Oh, you can't? Why did you pass an unenforceable law? Bye bye stupid law...

Some legislation regarding firearms does have a useful purpose, if they'd enforce laws like ones surrounding domestic violence, or say not letting people plead down illegal firearms possession, perhaps the law would do what it purports to do.

Magazine capacity laws are ridiculous, CT passed a magazine registry, any guesses how that's going?

There should be real consequences for actual crimes.

Of course, actually reducing gun violence isn't the real goal, but why don't we pretend, and put people in prison who should be, and remove firearms from people convicted of certain crimes?

I'm in no hurry to legislate firearms, but if someone is actually convicted of harming others, perhaps they cannot be trusted to behave..

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Just curious. What are the laws in Illinois regarding transfer of ownership? My state is different but if I were looking at a possible conviction for something that would result in losing my firearms, those firearms would be transferred to family members or friends.

I know the article makes reference to transfer but how easy is that in practice?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Illinois has no gun registration and therefore they have no idea if and how many firearms a FOID holder has and being a FOID holder does not mean that one has firearms now or ever did. I wonder how they are doing going after those in Crook County, where vast majority of violent gang related crime happens, that possess firearms but have no FOID?

This was never a "problem" with ISP until the Aurora shooting where a lot of ball dropping was going on just like Parkland and now politicians want to hold them accountable with on site forcible confiscating of firearms from those with revoked FOIDS. I wish them luck with that as they are going to need it big time.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Just curious. What are the laws in Illinois regarding transfer of ownership? My state is different but if I were looking at a possible conviction for something that would result in losing my firearms, those firearms would be transferred to family members or friends.

I know the article makes reference to transfer but how easy is that in practice?

This details the process which involves a FOID holder to verify that the other FOID holder is still valid and if so an authorization code is given that is good for 30 days and that code must be documented with the transfer to person's info and firearm info and kept for 10 years.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/...FirearmTransfer.aspx

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:

This details the process which involves a FOID holder to verify that the other FOID holder is still valid and if so an authorization code is given that is good for 30 days and that code must be documented with the transfer to person's info and firearm info and kept for 10 years.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/...FirearmTransfer.aspx

Thanks for that.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a problem with domestic violence convictions restricting gun ownership. Seems like a better course of action is to classify domestic violence as a felony.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well...good.

Is it? I don't think so. If there is a law on the books it should be enforced. If you're shit enough to get a conviction related to domestic violence, perhaps you shouldn't have guns...

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said. What I meant to imply is that the less the government knows the better. Because honestly, how could the State possibly know for sure whether a restricted person is still armed or not unless it is a surveillance state? So unless a person is in prison, I don't expect the State to know every single detail of a person's life. And frankly, if someone is too dangerous to own a gun, should he really be walking around amongst us?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I've got a problem with domestic violence convictions restricting gun ownership. Seems like a better course of action is to classify domestic violence as a felony.

I also understand that it is pretty routine for the wife to get a protection order from her husband when a divorce is filed and in Illinois that is reason to revoke FOID card even if no threat actually happened.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I went to high school in Orland Park. I was kind of surprised to see it listed. Upon further thinking those residents were probably more likely to bother with a FOID card. Those living in rougher suburbs probably just drove to Indiana and got ammo.

Illinois residents have to show a FOID card to purchase ammo in Indiana.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post