SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living on acreage property. UPDATE: We got the property
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living on acreage property. UPDATE: We got the property Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Also, look at babydoll sheep. Admittedly, I'm a farm boy and would love to have the room and time to put in gardens, fruit trees, maybe some chickens and a pig to help with composting.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We are on 5 acres and mow with a 22 HP Kubota zero turn in no time. Get a set of noise canceling Bose and cook the tunes. We also have a 30 HP Kubota tractor and an ATV to pull a little trailer and a fertilizer spreader 3 times a year. We buy fertilizer by the ton. I also have a 25 gallon sprayer for weeds.

It takes a lot of equipment to make it time efficient.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Yard work will keep you plenty busy, with the mowing alone, if you have a lot of trees, then picking up sticks and branches and raking will add to your yard time.

The solitude and peacefulness is worth it though.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
Thank you everyone for your responses.

The property is located in an unincorporated community at the moment but I can see at some point it will be annexed by the city. It has aerobic septic that was rebuilt 10 years ago (22 years old). Well pump was replaced 3 years ago but I don't know the flow rate. Will have septic and well fully inspected and serviced if we decided to acquire the property. Already done my research related to septic and well maintenance and think I can live with it.

I don't expect we will be doing much with the land except a couple gardens and may be a koi pond. I already looked into zero turn mowers and a couple of hrs to mow the lawn doesn't seem so bad. I spent an hour at the property a couple days ago and the peace and quiet really appeal to me. Our dogs would love it here Smile. The more I talk about it, the more I like the idea. Just have to make sure the wife agrees and feel the same way ...

Herons and raccoons love Koi ponds

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We did that years ago without any regrets. We left the POA and the crowds back in Charlotte and moved to the mountain. We have 5 acres and back up to 3400 undeveloped acres. We killed whatever grass we had. i have to keep the weeds down with limited chemical assistance and we have to blow the leaves in the fall.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forum members that have experiences with acreage properties, any advice you can share?

Advice? DO IT.

We have just shy of 10 acres. Love it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A bunch of acres and a teeny lawn is where it's at. I don't even own a mower, and enjoy all the benefits of natural beauty, privacy, views, and the rest. I doubt I'll ever mow again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
46and2 is correct IMO, I think you will later regret the acres of grass. I live on 12 acres wooded with a pond and creek, and am the envy of all my friends. Look for some wooded land, unless you absolutely need to live in the city. Good luck!

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
I'm on 11 acres, you will love it. It's a little more work, but having more privacy is well worth it. The wife hated it the first month, then fell in love with it, now she wants to move further out on bigger acreage. I would do it in a heart beat if I were you.

I'm on 31 acres and will 2nd this.

I mow about 5 acres, get a zero turn mower and have fun.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 7.5 in the country and we both absolutely love keeping the property up. Not a big deal.
We both love to mow. I would suggest a Zero turn if you think you would be pressed for time.
We have a zero turn and a tractor for mowing and snow plowing.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Most of the responses are about maintaining the lawn or land. Are there not other considerations? I'm not sure what, but things like home defense, trespassers, dumping, wild animals, being more isolated, lack of some services like cable, high speed internet, maintaining a 1/4 mile entrance road, etc. Just wondering.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Most of the responses are about maintaining the lawn or land. Are there not other considerations? Just wondering.

The privacy where I am is outstanding. I see wildlife year round, we have trails cut throughout the property, it's like living in the middle of a private park. I can run around stark ass Nekkid if I want and no one is around to give a shit. Not to mention I have my own private shooting area on the property.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
DO IT...
We have 10 acres in Northern CA. Love the life of peace and quite.
Good Tractor if you plan on doing any disc or scraping or mowing tall grass
Quality Riding Mower for the manicured lawn.
A Spray rig for Weeds.
Get the well and septic checked first.
Pickup truck.
Quality Air rifle Wink
Road flares will gas and Kill the gophers in their holes no need to bury them when their already in the ground. Wink

Get ready to see the stars at night. It is peaceful and you will sleep better than you can imagine. I'd never go back to the city.

Did I say DO IT? ah yes.. do SO!!!

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Everyone has hit the high points.

I had 8 acres with a pond and mowed just under 3 acres. My tractor was a Cub 2284- (thought about zero turns at the time but used it for many other things).

One thing I did learn, which will vary with the grass type where you live- some places you can get away with cutting the grass every seven/eight days. Where we lived the grass was so thick that if you waited it become a real chore.

With a lot of rain it grew really fast, sometimes you had to cut every four days...

I really miss having the acreage.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I switched to carrying a 10mm Glorp all of the time as a compromise for four and two-legged critters. Where I am (CO) there are Bears, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, Foxes, Elk Deer, Hippies, and more.

Broadband is a challenge. Out here Verizon 4G is best but most expensive, Satellite works but is expensive for what you get, and DSL is "broadband" in name only and intermittent.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

My parents live on 5 heavily wooded acres in Virginia. Fall leaf cleanup is a real bitch for them, but my dad has a good system for getting the leaves cleaned up now. Plus, it's only 2-3 weeks per year.

Luckily, 100 acres total, about 5 acres to mow, interspersed among oak trees.

I absolutely hate the leaf chores, even more as the older I get. Given a choice between mowing grass 3 times a week or dealing with leaves, I chose mowing. Our house is surrounded on 3 sides with trees, so the leaves do not blow out the yard!

Very pretty place you are contemplating, seems like a sunny ,bright place.

As said above, make sure your tractor has a cup holder. And you will need earbud and a music/news souce too, for quality days on rhe tractor/mower!

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
Thank you everyone for your responses.

The property is located in an unincorporated community at the moment but I can see at some point it will be annexed by the city. It has aerobic septic that was rebuilt 10 years ago (22 years old). Well pump was replaced 3 years ago but I don't know the flow rate. Will have septic and well fully inspected and serviced if we decided to acquire the property. Already done my research related to septic and well maintenance and think I can live with it.

I don't expect we will be doing much with the land except a couple gardens and may be a koi pond. I already looked into zero turn mowers and a couple of hrs to mow the lawn doesn't seem so bad. I spent an hour at the property a couple days ago and the peace and quiet really appeal to me. Our dogs will love it here Smile. The more I talk about it, the more I like the idea. Just have to make sure the wife agrees and feels the same way ...

Just from reading your initial post, then this, the one story home and acerage seems like just what you want. Others have touched on the grass to mow but from the photo it's level. I'd rather mow 4 level acres with a rider than 1/2 acre of steep hill with a push mower and weed eater. You have privacy, garden space, and what looks to be a beautiful setting. Assuming the house meets your needs and you enjoy maintaining the property I vote yes buy it!

I really enjoy our rural property which happens to be mostly wooded with only 1 1/2 acre lawn and another acre that gets mowed twice a year. We *love* the solitude, relaxing at the fire pit in the evenings, cutting firewood, maintaining the trails, etc. Other people prefer maintenance free living in a townhouse.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We live rural. I hate yard work. Except for the type you can do with a chainsaw Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Make sure the septic is pumped before you buy. Most places require it.
Check the zoning around the property. Can it be rezoned into apartments? I back up to a steep slop and the area is R-1.
Lawn. It's August and you have a hot, sunny day to mow. Will that work for you. Where will the grass cuttings, dead leaves etc. go? Check the local requirements.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I'm very fortunate. I live in the middle of my 55 acres, share a fencerow with my sister & BIL's 65 acres, and have my mom on 80 acres just across the county road.
The only times I have lived in "town" was when I was in college and when the now ex-wife and I first got married.
Granted, we have always had cattle. Always. I don't remember a time when we didn't have cattle. They keep the biggest part of the place eaten down and provide a little income.
I mow about 3 acres right around the house. Upkeep on the rest of the place takes some doing at times but I enjoy most of it. I value my privacy as well.
I can hunt in my place, I can fish on my place, I ride my dirt bike on my place.....I even have a small range.

One thing:
Be mindful of the land around you. If you don't own it, you can't decide what happens with it. I have known several folks that moved to the "country" and had small places that butted up against the "farmer/rancher that'll never sell"....guess what happens, usually, when the farmer/rancher dies? The place gets sold to a developer and suddenly you're not in the "country" anymore.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post