SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for a Summer riding jacket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for a Summer riding jacket Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a Summer riding jacket preferably with armor for a cruiser rider.
I have a heavier jacket for Spring/Fall but it's way to heavy for Summer.
Rode most of the day yesterday with a stop at Geneva on The Lake, Ohio and got pelted with bugs and small stones.
Loved the Icon jackets but that's when I was up in the canyons in Utah. No real leaning anymore and no sport bike.
Thanks in advance.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When I was riding I researched this a lot. Motoport was the best in safety, comfort, adapting to conditions.
Costs more up front but when I quit riding I sold it for about 3/4 of what I paid new so the cost of ownership was actually low.
The cheaper fabric stuff is actually dangerous if you go sliding down the road. it will melt into your skin and cause additional harm.

http://www.motoport.com/produc...ort-air-mesh-jacket/

http://www.motoport.com/the-save-your-hide-guide/

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I've had several "three season" jackets from Tour Master. In the summer I use just the mesh shell but it retains the armor, etc. Excellent quality and really keeps me cool regardless of the temp.

Check out the Flex series on their website.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I've only had textile jackets, and nothing hideously expensive. The two I liked the best were a Joe Rocket and a Hein Gericke.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Perforated leather.
Alpinestars.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owned a little bit of everything over the years, here's my current favorite and what I've been wearing for the past two summers:

https://www.revzilla.com/motor...vit-airwave-2-jacket

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Perforated leather.
Alpinestars.

I go this route with Vanson and Dainese as well as the astars.

No mater how light, or how fast I went, mesh was never cool enough. I still sweat through my shirt and had to keep the jacket on wherever I ended up or look like a sweaty slob. I just figured if I might as well look good and be protected.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Vanson Pro perf. Front is perforated, forearm has zip vents--exhausts out back. Very comfortable in summer. Full leather protection with Kevlar elbows, shoulders and spine.
Pricey unless sale which was last weekend...should be another sale July...then Sept.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Klim

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Perforated leather.
Alpinestars.

I go this route with Vanson and Dainese as well as the astars.

No mater how light, or how fast I went, mesh was never cool enough. I still sweat through my shirt and had to keep the jacket on wherever I ended up or look like a sweaty slob. I just figured if I might as well look good and be protected.

For me the primary function of riding gear is protect your bones, skin, and organs. If the company you are looking at, isn’t used in GP, then don’t buy it. You can’t put a price on your skin. Alpine stars, Dainese, and Vanson continue to be the best with RS Taichi and Kushitani.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the hot Summer of TN, I use a Dainese Air Frame textile. Mine looks to be discontinued, but I think this is the one that replaced it. I had to buy the back protector, awesome jacket.

https://www.revzilla.com/motor...-air-frame-d1-jacket

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I ride with a Shift jacket.
I can't comment on how it would perform sliding down the road, but it makes for good warm weather rides.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
In the hot Summer of TN, I use a Dainese Air Frame textile. Mine looks to be discontinued, but I think this is the one that replaced it. I had to buy the back protector, awesome jacket.

https://www.revzilla.com/motor...-air-frame-d1-jacket

I'm liking this jacket. Doesn't quite go with HD/Indian crowd I go with but it really doesn't bother me. It's a jacket for protection.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I ride into the 90's with my Aerostich Darien.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I ride with Olympia mesh. Not sure how protective it really is, compared to my leather Alpinestars.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I wear the same jacket all year (although I don't ride in under 50F weather as it freezes my hands). What I have is an HD leather jacket with vents in the armpits and chest. It works just fine even in the high 90s as long as I'm moving. Sitting still gets a little warm, but it cools off quickly.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post