SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone leave Apple for Android?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone leave Apple for Android? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Went from the iphone 6 to a Samsung s9. I got sick of the iphone shutting down every day at anywhere from 20-49% battery remaining, then teasing me a few cycles like it would come back on before finally crapping out until I charged it a while.

The Samsung has a great camera, virtually the same capabilities, memory card slot, and I never have to talk to the self important hipsters at the genius bar ever again. What's not to like?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted October 08, 2018 08:35 PM Hide Post
No love lost for Apple but I hate Google even more.

I left and have a google phone now. Yeah, ^^^ #metoo. But it's cheap. Cheap and sucks.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
There is one reason and one reason only I'm stick on iPhone: iTunes. I have about 26 days worth of music, so playlists are crucial. I've never had an issue getting everything 100% perfect on an iPhone, but I've never found a program that will work at least 90% of the time on Android, and I've tried all of them. I've liked everything else better on Android. Samsung Pay is far superior to Apple Pay, and my Essential Phone and unlocked Galaxy S9+ have gotten regular security updates.

I've moved back to PC since Apple can't bother to update the Mac Pro and used 64-bit towers are getting absurd pricing. Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've had several Android tablets and one Android phone.

I have come to the conclusion that it's not ready for prime time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iTunes has a facility for converting the i-format music into mp3. Just do that and then dump itunes and use any music player you want. Everything works with everything nowadays EXCEPT itunes.
(I had to do that with all my daughter's accumulated itune music)

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
All my music is MP3. That's not my problem. The problem is getting all my music onto the device AND the music apps recognizing and finding the music. I've tried saving playlists as both .txt and .m3u. I've used syncing programs like doubleTwist and Google Play Music, but they both leave numerous errors no matter how many times I sync AND cannot seem to reliably add or update changes. I've tried storing my music on microSD card and internal storage, but still no luck. Samsung Kies is even worse than any iTunes have story.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm quite serious about liking everything else about Android. aptX and aptXHD are far superior to the AAC I'm stuck with on iPhone, and wired connection are even better.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you want to compare Apple to Android, you'll have to compare it to the latest Pixel. Premium phone designed to work with the OEM version of the software.

I love my Pixel 2, wish I could justify a Pixel 3.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nope, just did the $29 battery replacement for my 6S Plus.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Went the other way a year ago or so. There are some things about Android I miss, but not enough to go back.

Bottom line, for me, is I don't trust the security of Android phones and I don't trust Google any further than I can spit. If it was "just" a phone, calendar, navigation device, web browser, messaging device: That'd be one thing. But I keep an encrypted digital keyring on my mobile devices. Everything is in that keyring. Literally everything.

(Dealing with a pair of verkakte Android TV devices and their Chinese manufacturer's crappy code reminds me, on a regular basis, why I ditched Android mobile devices. These things will almost certainly eventually be replaced by Apple TV devices.)

I was going to say this, but it's easier to simply quote ensigmatic. Google is evil. I'm sure people at Apple have similar politics, but I trust a company that puts money first. I can appreciate and understand their motivations.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post