SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone leave Apple for Android?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone leave Apple for Android? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I've had an iPhone since 2008 so it's been 10 years of using one of these things.

I'm on #4 right now (I've had a 3, 4S, 5S, and now SE) so I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm just bored with them, I don't like how much they cost now, Apple and its CEO's politics, or something else, but I'm seriously considering switching to an Android...specifically a Nokia.

Has anyone made this switch? Did you regret it? How did it go?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, recently. I got pissed when after 20 months I cracked the screen on my iPhone 7, had the screen replaced. Then less than 2 months later I dropped it into 4" of bilge water and grabbed it 5 or 6 seconds later and it had moisture under the screen, then a white hue through the screen in most places. I had androids religiously up until the iphone7.

I went with a mil spec Kyocera dura force pro......waterproof IP68, drop proof etc. etc. I returned it 4 DAYS later. Notifications alerting ALL night long from everything. It had a huge battery 3200 or 3400 MAH, by late afternoon it was already down to 25%. I HATED trying to navigate through the android system.

I went back to my iPhone 7 until the new iphones came out. I bit the bullet and got the XS on the 20th cause it's IP68 and the oled screen etc. I would've gone with the XR if there was more of a price difference, plus I couldn't wait any longer as my 7 was on it's last legs. I'm very happy with the XS in all aspects.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I left Apple about 6 years ago, and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No love lost for Apple but I hate Google even more.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My wife left apple a few years ago. I think she is on her 3rd samsung and has never looked back.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got forced to use iPhones for work for a couple years. Too little control, too few apps, and too much of a data hog. Glad to be back on Android.

Posts: 2362 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Left the iPhone in 2010 or 2011.
But switched to an iMac in 2012 and could not be happier.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Not unlike you, I'm fed up with the $1k+ cellphone paradigm. I decided this year that my limit for a cellphone is going to be ~$500 max, so that effectively eliminates Apple products from consideration. I currently use a two year old, $400 OnePlus Android device, and am very pleased with it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I went back to my iPhone 7 until the new iphones came out. I bit the bullet and got the XS on the 20th cause it's IP68 and the oled screen etc. I would've gone with the XR if there was more of a price difference, plus I couldn't wait any longer as my 7 was on it's last legs. I'm very happy with the XS in all aspects.

What do you use for a case to protect your XS?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Android is owned by Sergey. Sergey is Russian. I don't buy or use Sergey's products.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

What do you use for a case to protect your XS?

I went with the factory Apple Black silicone case. Since I got the phone right at the release date most stores like Best Buy didn't have too many choices, had to go to the apple store to get the apple case.

I had the Apple black silicone battery case for my iPhone 7 (the battery case was awesome and could never wear the batteries down all of the way) and dropped it a million times and it protected it perfectly. I cracked the screen by standing in an engine room and pressed my entire left side of my body against the corner of a gas inboard exhaust manifold which the corner of it was directly against the screen (so no case would've protected it).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I don’t really consider it “leaving” apple for android. I bought the phone format I wanted, and it coincidently was Android. When you don’t change your format, to my satisfaction, I’ll simply look for the phone which offers the best compliment of features with a reasonable OS. I dropped my iPhone 6 for a OnePlus 5t, and have been satisfied.

Posts: 2010 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I've had an iPhone since 2008 so it's been 10 years of using one of these things.

I'm on #4 right now (I've had a 3, 4S, 5S, and now SE) so I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm just bored with them, I don't like how much they cost now, Apple and its CEO's politics, or something else, but I'm seriously considering switching to an Android...specifically a Nokia.

I never switched, but my work phone has been an iPhone for many years (4, 6, and now 8), but I've always had an Android for my personal phone. The only thing the iPhones do better than the Androids (including the cheap Moto G4 Play I have now), is the camera. Everything else is better an easier to use on the Android phones I've used.

I can say this if you've got an iPhone, and use the godawful iMessage, unless you take steps ahead of time to wean off iMessage, you will have problems when you switch to the Android phone.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6156081?hl=en

https://www.businessinsider.co...ne-to-android-2017-4

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Android is owned by Sergey. Sergey is Russian. I don't buy or use Sergey's products.

Sergey is an American, who emigrated here with his parents when he was 6, way back in 1979, after which he attended college in Maryland and Stanford. His dad is a mathematics professor in Maryland and his mom works for NASA, and his partner Larry Page is also an American. Sergey's parents are Russian Jews who fled there to come here.

Further, Android OS is primarily an Open Source operation system, primarily based on Linux which is also an Open Source operating system. The vast majority of code on an Android phone is not only not proprietary but absolutely has nothing to do with Russia.

And, both Sergey and Page together only own 11.9% of all things Google. Not even 12%.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Sergey is an American, who emigrated here with his parents when he was 6, way back in 1979, after which he attended college in Maryland and Stanford. His dad is a mathematics professor in Maryland and his mom works for NASA, and his partner Larry Page is also an American. Sergey's parents are Russian Jews who fled there to come here.

Further, Android OS is primarily an Open Source operation system, primarily based on Linux which is also an Open Source operating system. The vast majority of code on an Android phone is not only not proprietary but absolutely has nothing to do with Russia.

And, both Sergey and Page together only own 11.9% of all things Google. Not even 12%.
Dude, don't get in the way of emotional ranting with facts. You might ruin the internet!

Wink

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't leave Apple, because I've never been there (and I've generally been very happy with my life).

PCs and whatever-isn't-Apple has worked very well for me, and I have some money left over.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

from iPhone 5 to S9+. No regrets. Still in the 'shake down cruise' 3 1/2 months post purchase.

Incredibly more vast cyberverse than I was using.

Despite power conservation & low 'net' use, hard to make it all day without serious battery charge needed somewhere along the line.

Magnificent camera.

Still learning, but not ready to go back to my charcoal briquet powered iPhone.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've used both on and off for years because of work, and I've owned my own MacBook Pro for years which I love, as well as owning several other Windows and Linux devices. I like them all, for the most part.

As for phones, I prefer Android, with headphone jacks and SDCard slots, by a country mile.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I tried an Android for a few weeks several years ago, and I didn't like it. Android is generally more customizable, but the iPhones just work without having to make a million choices.

I own a car stereo store, and I see a lot of customers with different phones. I can tell you that iPhone users generally have few problems, and Android users on average don't know how to use their phones. We are selling a lot of head units now that have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The CarPlay just works, and I almost always have to have one of my guys work with the customer's phone to get Android Auto working. And CarPlay is clearly superior to Android Auto.

I'm not putting down Android phones-I'm just reporting my observations for what they're worth. In my opinion, if you don't want your phone to be a part time hobby, just stick with the iPhone.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roll Eyes

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post