SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Impact Drivers are Incredible
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact Drivers are Incredible Login/Join 
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
If you're struggling with trying to drive a screw into wood with a drill, you're not doing it right.

Since you already have the drill, all you need is the proper sized drill bit. You know, the things a drill uses to make a hole?

Drill a properly sized pilot hole first, using the drill you already have.

Now you can easily install the screw with just a hand screwdriver, and you will have a much stronger joint as you won't be splitting/tearing the wood forcing a screw to make it's own hole.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makita 18v for me. For tires and lawn mower blades, I use an 800lbs torque air impact driver. So nice Cool

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Would a 3/8 drive probably have enough oooomph to remove the average car lug nuts? Or would I have to go to a 1/2 drive?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
If you're struggling with trying to drive a screw into wood with a drill, you're not doing it right.

Since you already have the drill, all you need is the proper sized drill bit. You know, the things a drill uses to make a hole?

Drill a properly sized pilot hole first, using the drill you already have.

Now you can easily install the screw with just a hand screwdriver, and you will have a much stronger joint as you won't be splitting/tearing the wood forcing a screw to make it's own hole.

Clearly I must not have drilled pilots Roll Eyes

It couldn't possibly be I was driving through oak and into framing. Nope, my pilot hole, despite it being 11/64th for a #8 screw, was just too small.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Would a 3/8 drive probably have enough oooomph to remove the average car lug nuts? Or would I have to go to a 1/2 drive?

My 1/4" actually does it though I use an adapter to the 3/8" sockets.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
They are great for removing tires. Do not make the mistake I did of using one to INSTALL the lug nuts. A slightly imperfect alignment and I buggered two studs (had to rethread them) and messed up several lug nuts. Lesson learned.

I use the impact to put them on but stop short of tightening them. That's when the torque wrench comes out. aluminum wheels can be destroyed using the driver. My sons car takes 75lbs. and my truck 140lbs. Too easy to screw up a wheel and studs.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Good lithium ion impact DRIVERS typically have maximum torques somewhere close to the appropriate torque for putting on lug nuts.

But if you put a lug nut on with 80 foot-pounds of torque, then two years later, 80 foot-pounds of torque may not be enough to get it loose.

Impact DRIVERS are not really intended for large diameter nuts and bolts. They are (relatively) high-RPM, low-torque tools intended for driving screws and small diameter fasteners.

On the other hand, there are also lithium ion impact WRENCHES (relatively low-RPM, high-torque tools) that have maximum torques up to about 1000 foot pounds. There are a whole bunch of different impact wrenches with different torque ranges available.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like to watch the shows where they fix up, customize, restore and flip old cars. I notice that many professional mechanics now use battery pack impact wrenches in both 3/8" and 1/2" drive for almost everything that air tools used to do.

I guess "impact driver" is acceptable to describe these battery operated tools and I'd like to have a couple myself, but...this is what I thought the thread was about.
Impact driver

Posts: 13235 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded my old 18V Snap On 1/2 Impact to the new Lithium Ion version. I sent my old one in to be repaired/rebuilt. The only original part left was the "trigger". It only cost me $85 to have my old impact rebuilt. It now lives in a tool bag in the back of my CRV along with a Harbor Freight "racing" aluminum floor jack. I've helped several people on the side of the road with flat tires. They are very appreciative AND amazed at how powerful the impacts are. I had a guy pay me $100 cash at a junk Automotive Recycling yard Big Grin to remove differential bolts and nuts. I use mine every day, all day. But that's what I do for a living. They're not cheap but to have 600 lb/ft available in a cordless impact is AMAZING.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post