SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shop Fan Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop Fan Recommendation Login/Join 
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted
I need a fan for my 30x48ft shop in my barn. It gets hot and muggy down here in Georgia. I've been sweating like a woman of ill repute in the house of God. It's often hotter in my barn than it is outside.

I move around inside the barn, so workspace fans do not provide relief. I've been looking at the Maxxair 42" belt drive fans at Home Depot. The reviews say it pushes air in all directions instead of simply direct air flow. This could be good for me so it circulates the entire barn. On the other hand, I don't know if it will have enough direct air flow to cool me down.

What I don't want is to have to buy 3 or 4 fans that take up space. One large fan that blows throughout the barn would be ideal. What do you guys recommend?

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Hi Dean -

I have no direct experience, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post is, what about a whole house roof fan or two?

It seems like those things would expel the hottest air in your barn (near the roof)while drawing cool are in all around you at floor level. Being mounted to the roof they wouldn't get in your way.

Just a thought...good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maxxair 42" belt drive fans

I've been considering the same series but smaller for my 30x20 garage. I was even considering picking one up today. I figure it would do better to push air out with one of these than a bunch of box fans all over the place. I do have 2 ceiling fans also.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
costco sells a nice looking 42 inch fan
Shop VAC Shop-Air 42” Stainless Steel Drum Fan features non-skid front legs, metal handle for portability, large wheels for mobility and 4 non-corroding aluminum fans blades for longer life

Other features:

42 inches diameter
20 gauge stainless steel construction
¾ HP motor
Non-corroding aluminum blades
Dual speed fan: Low 14,500 CFM, High 16,500 max. CFM
Belt drive
10 ft. cord with on-board wraps

Costco Shop VAC Shop-Air 42” Stainless Steel Drum Fan Price: $289.99

http://www.cochaser.com/blog/w...s-Steel-Drum-Fan.jpg

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have this one for our dyno:

http://www.industrial-toolcrib...fsgdUCFdGCswodoQcO-g

and it keeps the air circulating in our 6k sq/ft shop pretty nicely paired with the two little guys. It runs 10 hours a day for the past few years and haven't had a single issue so far.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
I need a fan for my 30x48ft shop in my barn. It gets hot and muggy down here in Georgia. I've been sweating like a woman of ill repute in the house of God. It's often hotter in my barn than it is outside.

I have the non-oscillating version of this product. Air King makes great fans in all sizes. Their motors are top notch. This 30" model does really move some air. I hardly ever have it on high. Get help to mount it Wink

9375 - 30" 1/3 HP Oscillating Ceiling Mount Fan.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Big Ass Fans, real company
The residential line should be somewhat affordable, I've seen commercial models over 5k...ouch

https://www.haikuhome.com/bigg...ans-for-home/essence

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Northern Tool sells jumbo size ceiling fans, too.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
The residential line should be somewhat affordable, I've seen commercial models over 5k...ouch

The local Big R has 2 massive ceiling fans (like 20' in diameter). The blades don't move very fast, but they sure do move the air!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
costco sells a nice looking 42 inch fan
Shop VAC Shop-Air 42” Stainless Steel Drum Fan features non-skid front legs, metal handle for portability, large wheels for mobility and 4 non-corroding aluminum fans blades for longer life

Other features:

42 inches diameter
20 gauge stainless steel construction
¾ HP motor
Non-corroding aluminum blades
Dual speed fan: Low 14,500 CFM, High 16,500 max. CFM
Belt drive
10 ft. cord with on-board wraps

Costco Shop VAC Shop-Air 42” Stainless Steel Drum Fan Price: $289.99

http://www.cochaser.com/blog/w...s-Steel-Drum-Fan.jpg

I saw this at Costco last weekend...impressive.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of the Big Ass fans in our warehouse and they made it tolerable for the folks on the loading docks. They move a lot of air but may be too expensive for home use. Good product though.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I have *one* 14'ø BigAss Essence fan in my 40x60 shop, and am delighted in the performance.

http://www.bigassfans.com/products/essence/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
Hi Dean -

I have no direct experience, but the first thing I thought of when I read your post is, what about a whole house roof fan or two?

It seems like those things would expel the hottest air in your barn (near the roof)while drawing cool are in all around you at floor level. Being mounted to the roof they wouldn't get in your way.

Just a thought...good luck!

Absolutely. I work in a 65,000 square foot fabrication shop. During the 1st/2nd shift overlap, with all equipment running, five overhead doors wide open and multiple floor fans running along with two ceiling exhaust fans, it seems like all that is done is circulating stuffy air.

After 1st shift leaves, I shut every door except the entry door next to our machines, and turn the floor fans on low. The air being pulled in/up and out the roof seems to cool the building noticeably over the course of the next several hours.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:

My gym uses one large one in the ceiling. Amazon uses it to move air in their warehouses. It is no joke a significant amount of air being moved.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
We have a few of the Big Azz fans at work and they do move a significant amount of air.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post