SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fiat-Chrysler Recall: 4.5 Million vehicles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiat-Chrysler Recall: 4.5 Million vehicles Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/U...efect/5821527254962/

May 25 (UPI) -- In one of the largest recalls ever issued in the United States, Fiat Chrysler is warning owners of 4.8 million vehicles to stop using the cruise control feature immediately because of a safety defect.

The automaker issued the recall Friday, warning the cruise control feature in certain models could leave the driver unable to cancel during certain circumstances. The recall covers 14 Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge models built between 2014 and 2018.

The following models are included in the recall: 2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan, 2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan, 2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan, 2015-18 Dodge Challenger coupe, 2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan, 2014-18 Dodge Journey CUV, 2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV, 2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV, 2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV, 2018 Jeep Wrangler, 2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup, 2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup, 2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup and the 2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis.

Fiat Chrysler says it is are unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities caused by the defect, which will be fixed via a software update.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Although this is certainly a lot of autos, from what I've read of the problem and the solution, it doesn't seem that huge an issue. Cars have become ridiculously complex in modern times, and I just don't think a bug that can be addressed with a simple software update should be viewed as all that out of the ordinary.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Just passing on for information. I don't have a dog in the fight!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Although this is certainly a lot of autos, from what I've read of the problem and the solution, it doesn't seem that huge an issue. Cars have become ridiculously complex in modern times, and I just don't think a bug that can be addressed with a simple software update should be viewed as all that out of the ordinary.

I agree. It happens to every manufacturer. In fact Toyota was the recall leader for several years. They topped out at over 20 million recalls in 2013. It's just a not story to me when it happens to all of them.

Posts: 3907 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Good on them for preemptively issuing a recall to fix this.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many recalls being issued by every manufacturer that I think people have just started tuning it out. But other than the Takada airbag fiasco, the danger posed by most of them seems overblown.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Just passing on for information. I don't have a dog in the fight!
And neither do I. Smile Was just thinking aloud, not being critical of your post.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I should probably get this fixed, but I can honestly say I've never used the cruise control in my charger

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmm... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee owner, here. I use cruise control all the time...

Well... did, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Edited: removed post

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Silverado comes with an App for my phone. Like having your mother riding with you.
One of its handy features: Check for recalls.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The automaker issued the recall Friday, warning the cruise control feature in certain models could leave the driver unable to cancel during certain circumstances.

Any cruise control will - or should - disengage with a tap on the woah pedal. Is this what they refer to, or just the manual canceling from the switch? The latter has potential to be dangerous, but the former would be actually dangerous.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
FCA paid $105 million dollar fine for late and inadaquate recalls in 2015 including defects that resulted in several deaths (including Jeep fires that burned teenagers alive when rear ended). They have a history of being safety dirtbags and have a govt appointed liaison that forced most of the new recalls because they would rather pay claims than fix problems. They admitted in their fine paperwork that they knowingly covered up known defects to save money.

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
Everyone should run your VIN for every family car through the NHTSA Vin database to see if you have a recall. Especially if you are not the original purchaser or moved since buying.

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post