SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What the heck kind of spider is this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the heck kind of spider is this Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
I've seen these lately, don't recall seeing them in years past, they spin massive web links, over 6 feet long, hang around the Ligustrum tree up front and I've found this one stringing up his web of doom on the pool deck...

One crazy looking horned back red spiked devil. he's not a monster in size, about as large as my little finger nail.

Looks like they are advancing from the front lawn to the back of the house, apparently scouting for optimal positions from which to attack...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Spiny Orb-Weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis
The spiny orb-weaver spider is one of the most colorful and easily recognized spiders in Florida. The dorsum of the abdomen is usually white with black spots and large red spines on the margin. Females are 5 mm to 10 mm long and 10 mm to 14 mm wide. The webs typically contain tufts of silk, which may prevent birds from flying into them.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in017

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Crab spiders is what they are known by in FL

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Jesus he has a spiked skull helmet. It’s a friggin hells angel spider. Cuz NORMAL spiders are just so cuddly.

Gah!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Interesting!

It’s the most peculiar spider that I’ve ever seen.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Sigforum - Arachnid answers in 7 minutes!!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very common all over florida. harmless beyond their annoying webs and hard work at spreading all over the place. you can walk down a sidewalk/path filled with their webs.

killing/clearing out aint hard, if not lasting. i have not had success completely clearing them out for any extended period of time.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Harmless and kind of pretty.

We have analogs here, but ours aren't as showy.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Forum members possess unbelievable depth of knowledge.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Looks like they are advancing from the front lawn to the back of the house, apparently scouting for optimal positions from which to attack...

They're clearly dropping out of orbit from their home planet of Klendathu. Probably using the cylindrical UFOs recently seen as drop capsules. Watch out for the ones that shoot plasma from their butts.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
What spider?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
An ugly one. Interesting and showy, but not pretty IMO. I have never seen one in my AO, but I wouldn't kill one.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We had tons of them in Winter Garden in the live oaks. Harmless little fellows.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I call them samurai spiders

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it should be called the Caltrop Spider. I never saw one during my stay in Florida; it's kind of neat looking.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another harmless spider that the biggest threat is a face full of silk if you don’t see them before blundering into their orb webs Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see lots of them at my farm, they are kinda neat looking

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
They make beautiful webs!

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had those all over where I grew up in Hawaii. Must be a sub tropical critter.
n

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post