SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is why I love baseball
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is why I love baseball Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
The Washington Nationals (the team *I* root for) went on a five game hitting streak August 14-19 scoring 62 runs -- four of those games in double-digit figures -- winning four out of five games. The one game they lost they took into the 14th inning, finally losing 15-14.

So, after this impressive display of batting power, the Nationals took the field yesterday against the Pittsburgh Pirates, who they had defeated 13-0 the night before, and could muster only a single run, in a 4-1 loss.

Now, as I type this, they are playing the Pirates again, and are leading in the top of the 8th, 9-0.

With a 162-game season, Major League Baseball is a game of NOW. Forget yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just play the game today.

In pretty much every other sport, oddsmakers can pretty well call the shots. In baseball, I'd hate to make book on a single game. A powerhouse team is superior if it wins 60% of its games (97). In other sports, 60% won't get you into the playoffs.

I love baseball!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Baseball? What’s baseball? I know there used to be a game called baseball, but then it morphed into a nightly home run derby. Hit-and-run? Base stealing? Why bother, when every batter is either a strikeout or a home run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see aluminum bats in the future.

MLB needs to be careful that they don’t screw up 140 years of tradition. These tighter balls and smaller parks are ruining the game. Bring back large outfields and in-park home runs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
...and looser balls.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Baseball is my #1.

Soccer is my other #1.

Watching NWSL right now.

Go Thorns!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
An amazing second half. Now we have almost everyone heathy, Zim is even coming back. If we had any kind of bullpen we'd be in the pennant race, it is out of the question now, but hopefully we can get play in game. It's looking good right now.

Go Nats!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If MLB adopts the electronic ump, I’m really going to be pissed. I already cannot stand the box showing the strike zone. If they adopt the Nippon style time limit, I’ll loose my mind.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
MLB needs to be careful that they don’t screw up 140 years of tradition. These tighter balls and smaller parks are ruining the game. Bring back large outfields and in-park home runs.

The old Busch stadium was one of the largest parks in baseball. During the "Whitey-ball" era the 1980's Cardinals were a running team, stealing lots of bases and hitting in-park home runs. It was exciting.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm hopeful for MLB, over the past 4 years I've moved hard from football to baseball and really enjoy it.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Long suffering Mariners fan here Cool

But we do have some hope for the future now.

Playing hard every night.

Been rooting for the Mets. Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Go 'Stros!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How Can You Not Be Romantic About Baseball?

I love the game too and absolutely adore each of the days (and nights) I spent playing it and/or sitting in a MLB stadium watching it. Who am I kidding, I still love watching the tiny tikes play a game on Saturday at the local park.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
...and looser balls.

Given enough time....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Baseball is the only team sport that I will watch. I do wish that they'd tighten up the pitching so that the games didn't last so long, though. It seems to me that an awful lot of time is taken between pitches--wasn't that way in the 1950s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
In pretty much every other sport, oddsmakers can pretty well call the shots. In baseball, I'd hate to make book on a single game.

For some reason, that made me think of this, from Star Trek: DS9.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

The old Busch stadium was one of the largest parks in baseball. During the "Whitey-ball" era the 1980's Cardinals were a running team, stealing lots of bases and hitting in-park home runs. It was exciting.

I can’t think of a better baseball town than STL.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Yankee's, looking forward to the playoffs...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looking at MLB scores every morning I sometimes forget and think I'm reading a NFL scoreboard. The Twins can mash the ball but no decent pitching won't get you far. Same old Twins won't spend money to improve the team. Watching mash ball is fun once in awhile but a entire season of it is no fun to watch.

Oh well the NHL starts soon.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I like baseball, but it's gotten so s-l-o-w that it's unwatchable. I can't watch more than 2-3 innings.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
@sigcrazy, I think you're oversimplifying the matter. In last night's 11-1 win over the Pirates, only 1 National hit a a home run.

Base stealing? Check. Trea Turner is a threat every time he gets on base. It's no wonder he's the team's leadoff batter.

Pitching? Check. There are some real horses throwing these days. Hit-and-run? Check. Sacrifice bunt? Check.

I don't find any of these missing from the game. But I do worry about instant replay, automatic strike zone monitoring and those efforts to "speed up the game." Baseball has always been a game by people for people. Let's not screw that up.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
College World Series

Regionals, Superregionals, then the CWS. There is no better baseball to watch.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post