SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas fruitcake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas fruitcake Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Just got a Collin Street Bakery fruitcake from my brother & SIL. Lots of folks poke fun at fruitcake, but the Collin Street is pretty good. Especially when moistened with some good whiskey.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Love fruitcakes, yep especially when moistened with a little rum. My sister makes them every year at this time.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss my mom's fruitcake....the best!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesnt every family have at least one? Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan, but my wife is. This will be the fifth year, I believe, I have gotten her one. She doesn't drink, so the whiskey/fruitcake thing works out great for both of us.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Collins St is my favorite (I’m a biased Texan though). However, Assumption Abbey out of Ava, MO is outstanding as well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I make my own. Light fruit bourbon cake. Not as dense and chewy as a dark cake and the bourbon really smells and tastes great in it.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We like the German style Christmas cake.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Been having a Collin Street Bakery fruitcake now for 56 years in a row. Send them out to customers and friends as well. Wonderful!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the Collin Street fruitcake assessment. I liked it enough last year get one for myself after my wife had ordered one for her aunt for Christmas for years. I like Pipe Smoker's whiskey recommendation so I may try that later today or tonight.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We like the Greman Stollen brand. I find it at big lots or dollar stores.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Forget the fruitcake; drink the rum. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What are those Skittles?",quoted from J. Gaffigan

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
I received my Christmas fruitcake from my sister on the 23rd. Made from Moms 100 year old recipe. I look forward to it every year.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 765 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my grandmother use to make them, you can use them for a door stop.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was always told that the One True Fruitcake comes from Claxton GA.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had one in years, but the only kind I have had was from Collin Street. I used to drive through Corsicana, TX a lot and would pick one up for my Mom each year.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
No,love for the fruitcake from Assumption Abbey? Made by Trappist monks. It’s long been my family’s favorite.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
We like the Greman Stollen brand. I find it at big lots or dollar stores.

Aldie's had a LOT of them, in different "flavors". I think they were imported from Germany

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I was always told that the One True Fruitcake comes from Claxton GA.

Indeed it does. All others are imposters. Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post