SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Are you guys both driving the CVT models? I am curious as the manual has a lower mileage rating.

Frayedends, nice car. Do you feel like the premium is worth the increased price for what you get?

Yeah for me it was worth it. I wanted the 6 speakers instead of 4, although it's not a powerful sound system. The fog lights were the most important to me since I'm on a small mountain and it gets so foggy you can't see your hand. It also has heated seats, which I could live without being they are cloth. Also the transmission has manual mode with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. They basically lock the CVT into a gear. They say not to be used to slow down on hills but it's good for climbing my hill home. The few cosmetic things aren't a big deal, although the orange stitching on my seats is cool looking and I'm glad to have the cargo tray and cover. Here's a link to all the models options...

https://www.subaru.com/vehicle...ompare-wrapper-modal

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have connection issues syncing your phone. Call the dealer. It seems like anytime there is a phone update subaru has to come out with a hot fix for the head unit.

I am on the third update.

How do you like the eyesight package? I like it quite a bit. I like the foglighta coming on and off when cornering.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
What a fine automobile. <3 I'm headed on a camping trip shortly in my 2008 Impreza wagon and will be loving the easy low cargo clearance (the truck is fun, safe, comfortable, but with only the tool box for gear, you're limited; climbing in and out of the high bed is also a factor). Too bad the car will last another 20 years, because I really want a new one.

If only for the "Windshield wiper de-icer and heated side mirrors (All-Weather Package)" Cool

And Books on CD would be better with more speakers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharp looking vehicle!

I love that those things have 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don’t have the eyesight technology. That was in an option package. So the foglights are fixed. Haven’t had fog yet. The eyesight package also had lane assist and some brake assist thing that would stop me from tailgating slow assholes in the left lane. So I opted not to get it.

The cvt also has “x mode” for slippery or sloped conditions. That will come in handy in winter.

I haven’t noticed any issues with pickup and I can pass people just fine. A bit sluggish from a full stop but gets going fast. No worse than my Matrix was.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I don’t have the eyesight technology. That was in an option package. So the foglights are fixed. Haven’t had fog yet. The eyesight package also had lane assist and some brake assist thing that would stop me from tailgating slow assholes in the left lane. So I opted not to get it.

The cvt also has “x mode” for slippery or sloped conditions. That will come in handy in winter.

I haven’t noticed any issues with pickup and I can pass people just fine. A bit sluggish from a full stop but gets going fast. No worse than my Matrix was.

The lane assist is always on by default till you turn it off. The brake assist has to be turned on

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

The lane assist is always on by default till you turn it off. The brake assist has to be turned on

That’s not horrible. But I saved $1300 by skipping that option.

These go to eleven.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get a jug of the blue coolant to keep the tank topped off. Mixing other stuff is not recommended. If you do your own oil changes stock up on filters and crush washers. Aftermarket filters typically have different bypass pressure ratings. Other than that, drive and enjoy!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Make sure you get a jug of the blue coolant to keep the tank topped off. Mixing other stuff is not recommended. If you do your own oil changes stock up on filters and crush washers. Aftermarket filters typically have different bypass pressure ratings. Other than that, drive and enjoy!

Okay so I know nothing about blue coolant. Assuming it's some suburu thing. For oil filters, are you saying I should get OEM and keep a bunch because I may have a hard time finding the right ones?

The only other thing I need to get info on is changing brake pads. It has antilock, and some X-Mode system that automatically keeps it low gear and may adjust brakes when on inclines. I'm wondering if I need to do anything to reset them after I compress the calipers. I suppose I can google that. But I do oil and brakes on my cars. Glad this thing has 4 wheel disc. Also glad the oil filter is topside.

These go to eleven.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Subaru blue super coolant that comes with the vehicle is supposed to have a 100,000+ mile life on it, if you don't mix other coolant with it.

Use OEM oil filters. You don't have to keep them stocked, as they're easy enough to order online, but stick with the OEM filters.

Engine and cabin air filters can be cheaply had online (I use Amazon).

Okay so I know nothing about blue coolant. Assuming it's some suburu thing. For oil filters, are you saying I should get OEM and keep a bunch because I may have a hard time finding the right ones?

The only other thing I need to get info on is changing brake pads. It has antilock, and some X-Mode system that automatically keeps it low gear and may adjust brakes when on inclines. I'm wondering if I need to do anything to reset them after I compress the calipers. I suppose I can google that. But I do oil and brakes on my cars. Glad this thing has 4 wheel disc. Also glad the oil filter is topside.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
quote:

Subaru blue super coolant that comes with the vehicle is supposed to have a 100,000+ mile life on it, if you don't mix other coolant with it.

Use OEM oil filters. You don't have to keep them stocked, as they're easy enough to order online, but stick with the OEM filters.

Engine and cabin air filters can be cheaply had online (I use Amazon).

Thanks! I somehow missed your reply until now.

These go to eleven.

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I went and did it...I traded my '03 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4WD TRD on Monday for a '20 Subaru Crosstrek Limited in cool grey khaki.

We have been happy so far in the first 200 miles or so. The ride is that of a larger/heavier vehicle, and it handles better than I thought it would have.

Even though fuel is inexpensive at this time, it will inevitably climb back up so I will be even more impressed with the 27-33 mpg when it does.

It is quiet and rattle free at highway speeds, and going back to the ride again, it eats up small pumps and expansion joints.

I haven't done anything off-road with it, but I don't see me doing anything crazy with it. Since I will be using it during hunting season, I'm going to get the roof top storage rack to flop bucky into it to get it to the processor.

The interior is very current, and the stitched leather appears upscale. It has LED headlamps and foglights, and the headlamps follow the road during turning. It has all of the lane departure and adaptive cruise control schtuff.

I didn't get built-in navigation package, but my Apple Car Play allows me use my iPhone apps for navigation - I'm using Google Maps so I'm happy.

This is my first Subaru, but it wouldn't have been many years ago had I not been squeamish on the boxer engine design. I finally warmed up to the design and Subaru since my dad is on his second Outback, which have been completely trouble-free while using them in the high country of Colorado where he lives.

We'll see how it goes with it, and I'm hoping I stay impressed.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I missed this thread when it started but rest assured, the CT is good to go. I just retired my ‘15 in March of this year with 209,000 miles on it and never did anything to it other than maintenance and a couple of suspension things, control arms, etc. I would’ve continued to drive it until it stopped but it’s sitting in my driveway waiting for my son to turn 16 at the end of the month.

I replaced it with a ‘19 Forester Sport. Not as lesbian-y as you think. Big Grin

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why is that? I do have to top off my coolant on occasion. I’ve had it checked for a leak and they did a gasket test and everything came back negative.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:

Why is that? I do have to top off my coolant on occasion. I’ve had it checked for a leak and they did a gasket test and everything came back negative.

It's normal to need topping off. Mine needs maybe a pint at oil changes. The blue supercoolant is made to be used in the engine for many miles 100k+. Mixing will reduce the life. The factory adds conditioners to the coolant as well due to the way the heads sit. The bottom of them always has coolant in them. Older versions had some head gasket issues due to this but I think most of that has been dealt with with a gasket upgrade.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.

My wife has decided to get a new CrossTrek as well, but waiting for next year’s model as the new 2.5L engine should provide a bit more pep... definitely needed on some of the highways around here.

The Atlantic article is frankly stupid.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I went and did it...I traded my '03 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4WD TRD on Monday for a '20 Subaru Crosstrek Limited in cool grey khaki.

Wow I was surprised to See this thread resurrected after a year. I wanted the cool gray khaki until I got to the dealer and it looked very much like baby blue and very girlish. However having seen plenty of them on the street now I sort of regret getting the silver. The cool gray khaki looks much better in normal light than it does in side the dealers bright lights. Anyhow I still love the car. About my only criticism is there could be more hidden storage spaces for things like jumper cables and parts I use for my roof racks.

These go to eleven.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with mine. Couple of issues. Backup camera has been dicey. CV axels went WAY too early (55k miles). But other than that, I have really enjoyed it. I'd buy another.

Congrats on yours!

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I've been happy with mine. Couple of issues. Backup camera has been dicey. CV axels went WAY too early (55k miles). But other than that, I have really enjoyed it. I'd buy another.

Congrats on yours!

Hopefully covered be the powertrain warranty. My wife’s Forrester had to have the rear wheel hubs replaced about that point - under warranty.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Congrats on yours!

Hopefully covered be the powertrain warranty. My wife’s Forrester had to have the rear wheel hubs replaced about that point - under warranty.

I assume not. It's a 2014 that was purchased in Nov 2013. I haven't fixed it yet. The boots look great. But it's clicking. I've seen forum posts that indicate they're just a little too lightweight.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post