SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one. Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think they blue grey one is nice. Drove one as a loaner and felt the Forester was a little better ride. The crosstrek felt a little more nimble. We have two Subarus. The worst we have had to deal with is the 2010 timing belt maintenance and oil leaks - not enough to be a problem, just an annoyance. The 2016 had to have rearwheel bearings replaced under powertrain warranty but otherwise fine for 100k. Both are Foresters.

Since you are in Washington, you should be tripping over used ones.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. Love it. Never heard of stalling problems. Never had a problem with the CrossTrek. The 2.0L doesn't have the oil issues that plague the bigger engines. It is not a speed demon but it is a demon in slick conditions. The demon of a mountain goat. That is with stock tires, you upgrade them a bit and its even better.

I would at least check out their EyeSight stuff. It is very good. If you do much freeway long distance stuff the adapative cruise control is smooth and much less fatiguing.

It isn't the car I would want to use to haul large stuff but it is plenty big for hauling a reasonable amount of stuff.

Unless you need the space, I would prefer one to the RAV4 and CRV.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely check one out. The base Suburu with automatic is about the top of my price range so I'm not likely going for a Rav or CRV.

I did read the other thread, and the article on the lesbian thing. Big Grin

This thing is definitely worth a test drive. I do my own maintenance also, so hopefully most of it is pretty straight forward.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely check one out. The base Suburu with automatic is about the top of my price range so I'm not likely going for a Rav or CRV.

If you like the CRV but it's too pricey and/or too big, you might check out the Honda HRV. It's the little brother to the CRV, and Honda's competitor to the Crosstrek.

Forester vs. CRV
Crosstrek vs. HRV

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a ‘19 Crosstrek and she loves it. I would definitely recommend one if you’re looking for a small AWD car. Very nice ride and handling, and it has plenty of pep.

I have an Outback and it’s been a great car, as well. Mine is five years old.

We switched to Subaru from Honda, and we have no regrets.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I did read the other thread, and the article on the lesbian thing. Big Grin

This thing is definitely worth a test drive. I do my own maintenance also, so hopefully most of it is pretty straight forward.

As someone else said the oil change is very easy. I added a Fomoto valve to our Outback. Between that and oil filter being on top I can do a drip free oil change in about 5 minutes.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I test drove a Crosstrek, and I really liked it. I like small vehicles, especially small AWD SUVs. I remember it drove nicely over a rocky gravel road.

I ended up getting a VW Tiguan AWD ONLY because of the sign and drive lease promotion. I really loved that car. I only traded that in a little early so I could purchase 3 Toyota RAV4s one day for my wife and two daughters. I'm also a RAV4 fan, but if I went out to get me another small SUV, an XV Crosstrek it would be.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought one as a commuter car for me. One kids hs is 28 miles one way the others is 36 a different way.

Ours is a 2019 cool grey kahki, with upgraded feature set that includes blind spot awareness front and back brake assist etc.

We paid 26 for ours out right in november of 2018. It has 17900 miles on it since. My average gas milage is 31-32 mpg on the free way, and 35 to 38 on our 45 mph rural back roads. Long trips at 60mph i can touch 40. The mpg is figured by miles driven to galloms pumped. Not subarus lame mpg indicator which is a consistent 3.74 mpg to high.

Besides the mpg indicaror my only bitch is the infortainment system. It is powered by android auto which is a shit fest. It works,90% of the time. When it doesnt ir requires a reset to factory specs. This last two times it locked up my phone.

To be clear, your phone runs the system, not the other way around. When there is an issue, it isnt hard to fix, but phones, driver profiles need to be unpaired and deleted, phone rebooted if not locked up, and then infortainment center rebooted at factory specs. Re put in driver profile, pair phone and log in.

The issues is almost always google related, not subaru.

You can opt for an actual built in nav to the tune of 3600 bucks.

Would i buy one again? In a heart beat. It is the easiest, most pleasant, capable car i have owned.

I have a 2013 f150 eco boost with 180k hvy duty and max tow package,
1987 325 is pro 3 race car converted back to street with 350k
2017 focus rs tuned to 365 whp 400wtq. With 38k
And this little subbie crosstrek in coolgrey.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The CVT tranny disqualified this model for me. But, I really had a bad experience with one in a 2003 Saturn.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The CVT tranny disqualified this model for me. But, I really had a bad experience with one in a 2003 Saturn.

I was skeptical, given audi, vw's. This transmission is great.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Great car if you need 4wd and you are in no hurry to get anywhere.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Great car if you need 4wd and you are in no hurry to get anywhere.

In February I slammed the Impreza 2450 miles across the country - 55 hours, including a room one night. Hitting 90mph in NM was easy to do by mistake. It is also far more nimble than my truck. Admittedly, I drive it with the Sports Shift around town.

The older ones are LOUD. Sturdy tin boxes sitting on a 2.5L AWD go-kart. My 2008 resale value is barely $4,000, and that is after putting $2,000 into it over the last two years. But it is set for the next 35k miles at least. And hit the bottom of its depreciation curve. I'm selling it to a friend for his daughter. #1 - "Selling to a friend" means I have confidence the deal will not sour our relationship. #2 - "For his daughter" means a lot as well.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I got myself a 2019 Crosstrek Premium. Got a very good deal on it. I mean, even after negotiating everything via email the salesman did bend me over a bit for an ass spanking. But all in all I did better than KBB best price number. They had a $1000 discount if I traded a 2005 or newer car. My Matrix was a 2006. They only gave me $200 for it but with the added discount it's like I got $1200 for it. I was well below invoice before the trade.

Anyhow I love it so far. I've gone 150 miles in 2 days. Dealer was a long drive but other dealers were only offering $100 off MSRP.

Here's a couple of quick shots...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Looks great! My wife has driven a Forester for the past couple of years...our first Subaru. I've been really pleased so far.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Looks really nice. I'm sure you will have many happy miles ahead.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I would go for a used Forester. More car & Everyone I know that owns one, loves them.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love our crosstrek

posted Hide Post
Are you guys both driving the CVT models? I am curious as the manual has a lower mileage rating.

Frayedends, nice car. Do you feel like the premium is worth the increased price for what you get?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cvt is easy going. It simply has a wider range of gear ratios than the manual. And it is better.

If i keep it under 2k i can get 34 around town. Gallons used to miles driven.

If I am on the freeway/highway with out stopping i can get 38 as my best yet tank

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
love my 2015 Forester touring. I needed the added room from the cross trek!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post