SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about the Suburu Crosstrek? Update Page 2, got one. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I'm considering a new vehicle. Although I really probably should wait until my 2006 Matrix dies, for financial reasons. But I live on a large hill now and really could use 4wd. Most options I've looked at seem too expensive.

Today I saw a few Suburu Crosstreks. I can get new for about 22K with the features I need. They don't look as Lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that), as the Forester. But I've always been adamant that I'd only get a Toyota or Honda. They just don't have an option in my price range with 4WD.

Any opinions? I may be just dreaming here as I don't know that I want to add a $400 monthly bill. But if my car goes soon (177K) I may need something.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I would get one if the engine had just a little more oomph. Give it 200hp and I’d be in. If you’re ok with the current power, they are awesome.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You’ll be better off getting a used Crv or RAV4 with all-wheel drive in your price range. The Crosstreks have had engine stalling problems.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are cool little vehicles but the CVT transmission is the dealbreaker for me.

Spend a little more and go for a Toyota Rav4, more interior room and better reliability.

The one benefit of the Crosstrek is that it hasn't had any significant design changes for a few years now so any of the significant quality issues should be ironed out by now.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
They are actually pretty nice cars. We ended up with the Outback and love it. They are quite capable on road all wheel drive vehicles. It will do 90% of what I do in the mountains with my Xterra. The Crosstrek is very similar just smaller with the same all wheel drive system and ground clearance. I do, however, find myself very attracted to women since buying the car. My wife doesn't seem to mind. I guess I self identify as a lesbian. Big Grin

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
They are cool little vehicles but the CVT transmission is the dealbreaker for me.

Spend a little more and go for a Toyota Rav4, more interior room and better reliability.

The one benefit of the Crosstrek is that it hasn't had any significant design changes for a few years now so any of the significant quality issues should be ironed out by now.

That isn't a fair comparison.

The RAV4, CRV and Forester are in the same category. The Crosstrek is more of a subcompact. It's just the Impreza that's lifted with greater ground clearance and the Impreza and Crosstrek are built on the same Global Platform. Sane engine and commonality of many parts.

The Crosstrek is fine and very capable but it's not a speed demon. The CVT is fine and Subaru is giving extended 10/100k warranties at no cost just to show that confidence in the transmission.

I personally think the Forester is the more useable car for most and the 2019 models are redesigned with very good ratings.

To get in your price range as the 2020 models are bringing to be shown, dealers typically sell their courtesy cars at a good discount with the full 7/100k warranty, in addition to the 10/100k transmission.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
$22k for a new subie is good. Especially for a 4wd. Can it be had with manual transmission? If true cvt I guess not?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19106 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
$22k for a new subie is good. Especially for a 4wd. Can it be had with manual transmission? If true cvt I guess not?

Some, if not all, come with a manual mode on the shifter and some even add paddle shifters.

Lots of ways to make the CVT pretend to be a stick.

Subaru does not have any 4wd models. They are AWD with different types of AWD systems depending on the model.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the Rav 4 and CRV being a bunch more money for AWD. I’m used to a small car and not much power. But I’ll have to look at the Crosstrek in person to get an idea. I have only ever driven automatics. I don’t know much about the cvt. I do know the base model comes with a standard transmission and it’s a grand to add the automatic cvt. Plus there were options for cvt with also 5 speed or something like that. I’m guessing that’s sort of like the clutchless shifting my ex wife has on a VW a few years back. I honestly have no idea as I haven’t kept up on these things. My car is 13 years old.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
3 pages of fairly recent discussion here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1500012744

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:

That isn't a fair comparison.

The RAV4, CRV and Forester are in the same category. The Crosstrek is more of a subcompact. It's just the Impreza that's lifted with greater ground clearance and the Impreza and Crosstrek are built on the same Global Platform. Sane engine and commonality of many parts.

The Crosstrek is fine and very capable but it's not a speed demon. The CVT is fine and Subaru is giving extended 10/100k warranties at no cost just to show that confidence in the transmission.

I personally think the Forester is the more useable car for most and the 2019 models are redesigned with very good ratings.

To get in your price range as the 2020 models are bringing to be shown, dealers typically sell their courtesy cars at a good discount with the full 7/100k warranty, in addition to the 10/100k transmission.

I wasn't comparing the Crosstrek to the Rav4, I was stating that for a few thousand more than the Crosstrek you can get the larger more reliable Rav4.

I commented on this because I too was contemplating the Crosstrek but went with the Rav after researching and comparing the 2 models.

If the Crosstrek is at the top of the budget then I would say go for it as they are capable little vehicles. If you can afford a little more, go for the Rav.

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
My wife has one and really likes it. She is not lead footed like me and doesn't load it with lead so it has plenty of power. It will climb the mountains in Colorado with no trouble and has even done some light off-roading. I do a fair bit of the preventative maintenance and oil changes. I have said before that they way the filter is set up is enough to make me want to kiss a Japanese engineer.

It is definitely a road vehicle with a healthy amount of storage space and the ability to handle dirt and snow adequately.

The mileage is fantastic to me (mid-30's) but then I drive a 4-Runner.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I seem to recall the Rav 4 and CRV being a bunch more money for AWD. I’m used to a small car and not much power. But I’ll have to look at the Crosstrek in person to get an idea. I have only ever driven automatics. I don’t know much about the cvt. I do know the base model comes with a standard transmission and it’s a grand to add the automatic cvt. Plus there were options for cvt with also 5 speed or something like that. I’m guessing that’s sort of like the clutchless shifting my ex wife has on a VW a few years back. I honestly have no idea as I haven’t kept up on these things. My car is 13 years old.

The lowest price Crosstrek at my local Subaru dealer is $24,537 and the lowest price AWD Rav4 at my local dealer is $28,264.

The big difference is that the nicely equipped Crosstreks get above the $30,000 range when you can get an equally equipped Rav4 for $32,000. For that money I would rather have the larger and more comfortable Rav4 (the Crosstrek is tiny on the inside).

If you are good with the compact car interior then the Crosstrek makes sense if you want to keep the cost down with a base model.

posted Hide Post
My husband has a 2015 Model & he likes his. He does not like to drive in any bad weather conditions & he has done ok in this car. He is also a much slower driver than I am. I have a 2015 Forrester & it is MUCH zipper than the Crisstrek. I am the lead foot driver in the family & the lack of power would drive me batty if I had to drive the Crosstrek as "my" car on a regular basis. I do think the Crosstreks look much cooler though.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
& so far he hasn't had any issues with it.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've got the '08 Impreza wagon. 2.5L non-turbo engine and 4EAT 4-speed automatic transmission w/ Sport Shift. The Sport Shift will behave like a manual; the car can feel like a well-appointed go-cart on twisty roads in 2nd gear. Especially with its new Michelin Defender tyres.

The exact platform was used in many of their vehicles that year. Thru flat high desert I was getting 37mpg at 80 mph but the usual mph would be in the upper 20s at that speed.

At 70k miles, it's had front brakes twice, control arm bushings, battery x2, tires x2, and wiper blades. And a door handle latch.

$20k in 2008 was a lot of money for a near-subcompact. But they sure make them well.

My S.I.L. with three kids wants the Forrester to replace her aging XC90. The Forrester of today is probably twice as high as the Subaru wagon my buddy drove in the 1970s. I'd think it an ideal road-tripping car.

The Crosstrek looks like a cool ride. Sort of an Impreza hatchback on steroids. It would probably be easier for me to enter/exit as well. Smaller engine, CVT-only, and far better sound-deadening insulation standard.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Interesting article....

Why people associate Subarus with lesbians

I went with a Forester over a Crosstrek, mainly for the added room and I wanted that monster sunroof. LOL That said, the Crosstrek was a strong contender. I loved my 'Ru and while I'm having a lot of fun with the clunky, aged, crude 2005 Wrangler, if the 'Ru could have been towed four wheels down behind the RV (which a standard Crosstrek can!), I'd still be driving it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16174 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I love mine. I've had it 5.5 years with no problems. Amazing power. With blizzaks, it is simply unstoppable in the winter. Mine has a lot of pep, but is not fast. 0-20 seems quick, but 20-60 is a bit slower. That said the new one is faster, and handles surprisingly -- actually shockingly good.

The CVT is very efficient, and you DO get used to it, and then when you dive something else, you'll wonder why old style transmissions are so weird.

Posts: 11343 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I’m a Subaru enthusiast, but I don’t own a CrossTrek. Subaru makes a a safe, reliable vehicle that will hold it’s value. Their AWD system sets the bar for all other manufacturers.

It is available in a manual if that’s your preference. I’m actually surprised they haven’t offered it with an available WRX option. Hoping they will, I’d be very interested.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I like that all Subarus (except the BRZ because of the joint development with Toyota) are designed and engineered with AWD and boxer engines from the ground up.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post