SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son rents a house, informed of new ownership the day before he moves in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son rents a house, informed of new ownership the day before he moves in Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I assume the lease is unchanged, it just is transferred to a new party. Any more to it than that? Missouri BTW.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Could be as simple as a different name to put on the rent check and a different place to send it.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
He should read the lease and see If it says anything about such a turn of events. It's possible the lease he has signed is no longer valid. I don't know anything about Missouri law, and it's been over a week since I stayed in a Holiday Inn.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Wouldnt he have to sign a new lease?

Weird situation.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not uncommon. House sales fall through all of the time. Sometimes one investor buys a house to simply lease it and having a tenant already in there is a bonus. The terms of the lease shouldn't change. The big wild card is what happens when the lease is up.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Skeptical me here. How was he informed, by the person he originally rented it from or the new owner?

Personally I would want an official notification from the original rental agent or property owner, not the new owner.

I would be concerned that it could be a fraudulent attempt of someone trying to collect money.

Of course I am not an attorney, nor have I played one. Just have heard of too many scam artists trying to separate people from their money.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post