SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about your sleep patterns/habits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about your sleep patterns/habits Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I have no idea what it’s like to sleep through the whole night and I’m curious how many of y’all actually do on a regular basis. I know one of my issues is back pain, but it seems like an irregular sleep pattern was going on even before I injured my back. I’m asleep and awake probably 5 or 6 times throughout the night. A bad habit of mine is getting online with my phone during times when I just can’t sleep. I listen to music a lot with earbuds so as not to disturb the Mrs’s. I took Ambien for a long time with marginal success. That stopped about a year ago. I do lots of the usual stuff... dark room, AC down so it’s nice and cool, etc. How abnormal am I ? Does this describe any of y’all too?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have had this issue for decades. The last few years I wake up at 3 or 4 AM to hit the bathroom as lots of older guys do. By the time I get back to bed, I’m wide awake. Then, after tossing for a while I go upstairs and turn on the Tv until the Mrs wakes up. I can’t go outside and mow because I don’t want to wake the neighbors. If I’m lucky, I get another hour of 2 before lunch. So I sleep about 4-5 hours a day, then once a week I’ll sleep about 8 hours. I fall asleep between 12 and 1 AM. I dont want to take meds to fall asleep. I know well this unhealthy but can’t seem to do anything about it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Prostate has me hitting the bathroom multiple times a night. Drinking beer or wine makes that all the more frequent, and then add in that I sleep worse in the interim periods when I drink. I intend to start using melatonin again, and hold off on drinking. In fact, starting tonight. I'd done that in the past with significant success.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’ve suffered from some sort of sleep issue my entire life. When I was a kid I had night terrors, which morphed into insomnia as a teenager/young man. Back then it was almost a gift...I was highly productive in the night hours and could get by with 2-3 hours of sleep at night and a short nap in the afternoon.....that all changed with age....I had my 27th surgery In the last 28 years on Easter Sunday, so I deal with some significant pain issues as well as the insomnia. When the medications are mixed correctly I can get 5-6 hours a night.....if I’m lucky...I do supplement with naps....I also end up with a “crash” day where I’ll sleep up to 18 hours....it’s why I’m up now...slept most of the day and night yesterday...woke up at 5

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Up at least 6 times a night to pee. Fortunately, I am able to go right back to sleep. I cannot remember sleeping through a night uninterrupted.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
About to turn 41 in 4 days. Prostate started to wake me up a few times a night. Also my shoulderlimits what position I can sleep in. I end up tossing and turning all night long. I have to wake to stretch and crack my shoulder. If I only get up 3 times in a night, I call it a good sleep. I tried Advil PM, and it just makes it an it easier to get back to sleep.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
In bed by 8:30 or 9:00, up at 5:00.

Usually drop right off, but like all you other old farts, up multiple times per night to pee. If I keep it down to twice, that's a great night for me. Various foods exacerbate that problem, most notably grapes so I try to avoid those after lunch.

I usually drop right off after going back to bed.

I do thrash around a lot in my sleep and we've long since decided that separate bedrooms were essential.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Very similar. I'm back up again right now at 3:30 in the morning after achieving maybe an hour's sleep. Up and down all night. I often stay up all night and finally get to sleep around 8am, then sleep till noon or even mid-afternoon.

I find it much easier to sleep during daylight hours, for some reason. Don't like it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Like so many other older guys here, I get up at least twice every night to go pee. I haven't slept straight thru the night in years.

I've talked to my doc about it and he said it was normal for my age.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going on 55yo. Usually asleep by 8:30-9pm and up for the day by 4am. Generally one bathroom trip at some point.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember the last time I slept uninterrupted for 8 hours. Waking up 2-3 times an evening to urinate is the new normal.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
There are people who sleep in...patterns? Like, with regularity? So it's a habit?

[Laughs In Active Duty Army Officer]

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I used to sleep through anything, including falling out of bed. I’d wake up in the morning and not remember rolling off the bed during the night. Now, almost everything wakes me up and at minimum I wake up 2 or 3 times per night. I can’t remember the last time I woke up feeling 100% rested.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
2 recommendations:
CPAP sleep study
CBD Oils under the tongue 1 hour before bed
Both of which i can help you with...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Age 68. No matter what time I go to bed, I am awake 5 hours later.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much the same here, up to pee a minimum of 3 times a night. Get in positions that cause my shoulder pain to wake me up, then down to the couch for the rest of the night as it seems to curtail positions that cause pain. Luckily, I can usually get right back to sleep.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
56 years old and for over over 25 years, always wake up early. Used to be 5 AM but over the last 7 or 8 years, started getting earlier.

Now, have to get up to pee once. Was around 2 AM but now shortly after midnight.

I wake up for good about 3:30 AM now every day, no matter is I am asleep and 8 PM or midnight.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've always been early to bed and early to rise. Now retired, I've taken it a step further. Read in bed and sleep about 7:30, up at 2:00 or 3:00am. 6 hours is plenty, and I enjoy being on the front porch in the cool AZ nights (even now when it's 100's during the day, the nights cool off nicely). I still have to get up and pee twice a night, but not a prostrate problem as mine is gone. Just an old guy thing, I guess. It's always a full bladder, and I usually stay up after the second pee.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
typically in bed between 10 and midnight (depends on the day, or work shift)

as someone who has had multiple kidney stones, I drink a lot of water,

typically a glass before bed, and pee before bed,

I'll usually wake up between 3-4am to pee, (full bladder, no prostate issues) and on a week day that I am off, the wife will wake me up unintentionally between 5 and 6,

however, I go right back to sleep,

I may get 4 hrs uninterrupted sleep, followed by a couple hours between being woke up by noise etc,

funny thing is, I think I sleep best from the moment the wife shuts the car door in the moring (6-630am) and 9am,,, (when I have the late shift and my alarm does not go off

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In bed between 8 PM to 10 PM. Usually 8 PM. I take 10 mg of Melatonin and sleep like a baby to about 2 AM. At that point it's all over for me. I get up and do some work off line or catch up on SigForum.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post