SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Self-inflicted GSW - reposted with permission
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self-inflicted GSW - reposted with permission Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes be careful Everytime you handle a firearm.

I have a friend who shot himself in an accident.

He was unloading his .45 and shot himself in the hand below his thumb.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Those Underwood Xtreme Defender rounds are nasty. I carry them in my EDCS.

Great reminder.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I worry about this when I'm up in the mountains target shooting by myself and out of cell service. just one screw up and things can get ugly fast.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ah, if only he had had this:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5530034844

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I worry about this when I'm up in the mountains target shooting by myself and out of cell service. just one screw up and things can get ugly fast.

Medical gear is manditory in my range bag. 2 TQs, quickclot, israeli bandage, plus some other things.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
I was the Top Shot in my LEO academy. An award I still cherish to this day.

I was also the only student to suffer a negligent discharge. Very fortunately all the other safety rules were followed except my finger was on the trigger.

What I know:
It was late in the day and late in the two weeks of shooting. Anyone here that has shot in a similar skeleton can vouch. 10 hours of shooting a day for 10 days straight is exhausting. I'm sure I was quite tired.

We were shooting single off hand, left for me.

I was on the line with half my half the class. Eleven students. We had just finished a volley and we're going to low ready while decocking the P228.

Here's where my concentration lapsed. Either my index finger slipped trying to decock then pressed the trigger. Or I never took my finger off the trigger and slowly pulled it. To this day I did not know what happened.

Undeniably the P228 discharged a 9mm FMJ bullet into the gravel about 15 feet in front of me. It scared the shit out of me and the whole line. I recovered from the shock quickly, decocked and went to low ready.

The instructor came over and verified that I was ok. Then he sarcastically said that was the fender of a Mercedes I get just shot. It got the point through. Something I'll never forget.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Discharged a wax practice load into a wall once,

It's amazing at how much energy is in one of those wax loads from just the primer. I shot one at plywood once and I was amazed at the damage it did.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have had many years of firearms experience, teaching and going to any number of hi speed, low drag training courses. Certified instructor in Simunitions and F.A.T.S.
Thousands and thousands of rounds downrange.
Shameful admissions:
1- In my early years, I shot and killed my friends parents chest freezer. They were thrilled!
2- About this same time frame, I actually shot myself. 00B to left forearm. DIY surgery with pocket knife. Cant recommend that to you.
3- Discharged a round of 12GA 00B through the wall of my rental property. My landlord was thrilled!
4- Shot out a large and expensive thermal pane window. With a DA revolver, no less.
5- Discharged a round into a plastic pistol case while clearing a Beretta. I was squatting over the case at the time. Exciting!
Lucky, aint I?
Why do I make these embarrassing admissions? Because if it can happen to me, it can happen to you.
I was careless and complacent. I failed to heed safety procedures that had been drummed into me since day one. Always remember the most time you spend handling your gun is when you are carrying, cleaning, storing or maintaining it. Actually trigger time is miniscule. While safe handling procedures becoming habit are desirable, ensure that habit does not over time become complacency.
If I am preaching to the choir, my apologies!

5?

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have had many years of firearms experience, teaching and going to any number of hi speed, low drag training courses. Certified instructor in Simunitions and F.A.T.S.
Thousands and thousands of rounds downrange.
Shameful admissions:
1- In my early years, I shot and killed my friends parents chest freezer. They were thrilled!
2- About this same time frame, I actually shot myself. 00B to left forearm. DIY surgery with pocket knife. Cant recommend that to you.
3- Discharged a round of 12GA 00B through the wall of my rental property. My landlord was thrilled!
4- Shot out a large and expensive thermal pane window. With a DA revolver, no less.
5- Discharged a round into a plastic pistol case while clearing a Beretta. I was squatting over the case at the time. Exciting!
Lucky, aint I?
Why do I make these embarrassing admissions? Because if it can happen to me, it can happen to you.
I was careless and complacent. I failed to heed safety procedures that had been drummed into me since day one. Always remember the most time you spend handling your gun is when you are carrying, cleaning, storing or maintaining it. Actually trigger time is miniscule. While safe handling procedures becoming habit are desirable, ensure that habit does not over time become complacency.
If I am preaching to the choir, my apologies!

5?
Yeah, that's disgraceful.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I had an ND when I was 16. FN with a blank round chambered. Scared me straight. Now I expect a bang every time the trigger is pressed.
If dry firing it is done in a safe direction and I ensure magazines are empty and gun is checked at least twice.
I have personally witnessed 5 NDs over the years and every time the shooter pressed the trigger without expecting a bang. Clearance drills were incorrect and correct procedures ignored.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TSE,

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1493 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhino... I agree with your assessment. My last goof was 25 years ago. I made a vow to never violate safe handling procedures again and have not since then. The main thing that occurred when these took place was the fortunate fact that I was alone and in no one else was endangered.
At one point, I was handling guns so often and in so many situations that I was complacent.
Very similar to riding a motorcycle. As soon as you become complacent or over confident on your bike, down you go.
When the striker fired Glock became popular, I vowed to never own one. I just did not trust myself. When the kydex trigger guard covers became readily available, I bought one before I bought a Glock.
When the P320 came out, I was even more leery. To the point that my most often carried EDC P320 is a manual safety model. And I store or handle it now with trigger guard cover in place.
No more handling errors for me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are that uneasy around handguns, please stop handling them.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not uneasy....Just more aware.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the police academy they gave us this bullshit "laser" rule spiel about how you needed to treat the gun like it had a laser coming out of it that would destroy everything it touched. I appreciate the sentiment, but I always thought it best to treat like a firearm that could kill anything it was pointed at.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post