SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Self-inflicted GSW - reposted with permission
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self-inflicted GSW - reposted with permission Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
of the shooter from northwestfirearms.com

CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGERY!!!!

https://www.northwestfirearms....unshot-wound.281654/

Props to him for posting it in the first place, and a speedy recovery.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good reminder to all of us.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
WOW! Eek

Talk about a perfect storm of events leading up to the 'accident'.

Even more luck in missing everything crippling or fatal. Eek Eek

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

I can't count the number of times I've performed a similar procedure. Reminder to self: Let the doing of the procedure become routine, but not the execution of the procedure, itself.

I had a close call with my larger chain saw a few years ago after I'd become complacent. Luckily the bar missed my leg--by about 1/2" or so. That was a wake-up call.

Thanks for posting, tac. Thanks for allowing it, Para.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Wow! Eek That’s a great reminder for all of us who routinely handle firearms. Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! Excellent reminder

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My agency has had three significant negligent discharges since I have been employed. I have been involved, to some degree, in investigating two of them. As with the post at the link, there are usually a series of errors that occur leading up to the discharge. I believe that they should never happen, but they do, and that we should learn as much as we can about how so we can try to avoid them.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn that looks painful, figuratively and literally.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some 35 years ago I managed to shoot a round into a wooden floor after clearing a pistol. I'd already checked it, had a friend check it, pointed it in a safe direction after verifying it empty, and I pressed the trigger.

Before I pressed the trigger, I checked the chamber one more time, which would have been fine, but this time I'd reinserted a magazine, and as I checked the chamber and noted it empty, releasing the slide chambered a round. The end result, a shot through the wooden floor in an abandoned building. Two of us were standing in the room, and both of us got that look that people have when they're surprised as hell and know exactly what happened.

It's very easy to do, despite religiously practicing safe handling procedures. One lapse, one oversight, one round, is all it takes. Sometimes it seems like the motions we make in checking and double checking and ensuring firearms are handled safely seems like overkill. It's not. It only takes once.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, as with most of this it can always be avoided.

Unless I am chamber checking a CCW pistol, I always drop the magazine (or confirm it has none insert) and lock the slide back. I always act as it it's loaded until I can confirm it's not.

I also don't like the constant motion of handguns from the bedside to the safe to the holster to the safe to the range bag, etc, etc, etc. It can lead to mistakes as this case shows.

I have a secured but easy to get weapon near the bed which is also my EDC G19. Wake up, put it on. Before bed, secure it. If I carry something different, the bedside gun stays secured where it is.

Another habit of mine is to prep a range bag & weapons the night beforehand. I have the ability to lock my range bag away but if getting up early in the morning, will sleep with it right next to me.

So when it's range time, just pick up the bag / targets and go.

Just my habit so there is never any rushing with firearms.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Tell the OP THANK YOU for the reminder

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had many years of firearms experience, teaching and going to any number of hi speed, low drag training courses. Certified instructor in Simunitions and F.A.T.S.
Thousands and thousands of rounds downrange.
Shameful admissions:
1- In my early years, I shot and killed my friends parents chest freezer. They were thrilled!
2- About this same time frame, I actually shot myself. 00B to left forearm. DIY surgery with pocket knife. Cant recommend that to you.
3- Discharged a round of 12GA 00B through the wall of my rental property. My landlord was thrilled!
4- Shot out a large and expensive thermal pane window. With a DA revolver, no less.
5- Discharged a round into a plastic pistol case while clearing a Beretta. I was squatting over the case at the time. Exciting!
Lucky, aint I?
Why do I make these embarrassing admissions? Because if it can happen to me, it can happen to you.
I was careless and complacent. I failed to heed safety procedures that had been drummed into me since day one. Always remember the most time you spend handling your gun is when you are carrying, cleaning, storing or maintaining it. Actually trigger time is miniscule. While safe handling procedures becoming habit are desirable, ensure that habit does not over time become complacency.
If I am preaching to the choir, my apologies!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting and the mods allowing it to be reposted.

Like many of the members of this forum I have handled numerous makes and calibers of weapons both in LE and the military.

My incident was many many years ago when I still lived in Cols, OH. I took a friend shooting at a indoor gun range and store that is now closed in Powell Ohio. I was showing him how to use that particular pistol he had never shot before.

I did everything right but he asked a question, and i was addressing said question. Well during that time while I was addressing the question, I had unconsciously recharged the pistol. He asked about DA/SA and I pulled the trigger and shot a post. I have never been so pissed, and embarrassed at the same time.

The last year on the job with the ME office I have seen the effects, and worked cases of individuals SIGSW's and also friends killing friends because of ND's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When I was 21 years old, new to pistols, dumb and naive, I had a brand new Sig P220. I was fondling it, playing with it one day while I was on the toilet. Pulling the hammer back, pulling the trigger, catching the hammer with my thumb, over and over again. Gun was pointed at my left leg, basically at my femoral artery.

Wait a minute, I said, I never verified if this thing was empty, and here I am pointing it my leg, pulling the trigger, and catching the hammer with my thumb. I pulled the slide back and a Winchester Ranger T .45ACP flew out of the chamber and landed on the floor. Eek Eek Eek

I was pretty upset about that and promised myself to be much more safe in the future. I completely revamped my gun safety on that day.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 simple rules

ignore them at your - and others - peril

hell - follow ONE of the three and you usually come out okay

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
This is why I don't dry-fire my guns at the TV or otherwise fuck around with them.

I make every effort to be 'all business' when handling firearms. They aren't toys and will fuck you up quick. Or worse, someone else. I couldn't live with that.

We all need these reminders from time to time.
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wow. Yes, thanks for posting this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
3 simple rules

ignore them at your - and others - peril

hell - follow ONE of the three and you usually come out okay

-----------------------------------

This has also been my observation. In one of our agency's NDs, all of the rules were ignored and a round was discharged through one officer's hand and another's leg.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just a reminder things can happen to people who are very familiar with firearms. A good reminder to always follow the rules when handling a firearm.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Discharged a wax practice load into a wall once, after a long session with lead in the cylinder of a SAA. It was pointed in the right direction, but the fact is I didn't expect a live primer to be under the hammer. I still hear that muffled report, fifty years later, and all the "what ifs" that ran through my head in a microsecond. And I have never since then discharged a weapon when I didn't want it to fire, pointed at something I didn't want to shoot. Ever. Sometimes it only takes once.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post