SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road side rumble strips, do they cause vehicle to veer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road side rumble strips, do they cause vehicle to veer? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Rumble strips on road sides is an amazing and ingenious invention. An idea that wasn't technology limited and could have been implemented long ago. But it seems to have a niggling down side, doesn't it cause drag to the steering tire on the side nearing the road edge, the drag on that tire inducing further pulling toward the road edge?

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but they have saved me more than once from drifting off the road or falling asleep on a long drive. They can be startling.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Rumble strips on road sides is an amazing and ingenious invention. An idea that wasn't technology limited and could have been implemented long ago. But it seems to have a niggling down side, doesn't it cause drag to the steering tire on the side nearing the road edge, causing impetus further steering off the road?

Yes it does. On the few occasions I've accidentally veered onto a rumble strip shoulder, I've had to fight the car to get it back on the road.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
There have been times in Wyoming where I80 was so slick that I drove a semi hundreds of miles with one tire (well, technically nine tires) on the rumble strip for the grip. Only way to stay straight. Wasn’t too bad at 30 MPH.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
They cause a little extra drag, but not enough that I've ever felt it sucking me off the road. They've saved me a couple of times over the years when I let the car drift during long stretches on the highway. I also remember a time coming back from Ohio after Thanksgiving when it snowed a ton. We were the only car on the road, and you couldn't tell where the pavement stopped and the grass started. The rumble strips provided a means of knowing where the edge of the road was. I'm glad they're there.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
A little bit, but it’s worth it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the extra drag causing a vehicle to veer toward the road edge isn't necessarily bad? Perhaps preferable to to drifting across the center lane and hitting oncoming traffic head on?

Of course, sometimes rumble strips are used on the left hand edge of the travel lane...

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The drag of a rumble strip, is on order of magnatude less, than the drag when the tires hit soft shoulder...

Flip.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Maybe tug at it a little, but not veer.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Many roads in my area have a rumble strip at the centerline.
The shoulder side rumble strip should be uniform in construction throughout each state. But could differ too..

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Rt 66 has a rumble strip that plays
"America the Beautiful" if you drive 45mph.

https://www.popularmechanics.c...-66-musical-highway/

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
There have been times in Wyoming where I80 was so slick that I drove a semi hundreds of miles with one tire (well, technically nine tires) on the rumble strip for the grip. Only way to stay straight. Wasn’t too bad at 30 MPH.
I've done that in AK and Alberta too with my truck. Sometimes dedicated winter tires (studded in AK and studless in Alberta) and weight in the back end just was not enough.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I suspect the slight drag to veer the car is way offset by the startled driver wrenching the wheel to correct it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Well worth the little extra tug. I don’t feel as though it made me veer so much as snapped me awake or kept me on the road in snowstorms. Saved me more than once.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I suspect the slight drag to veer the car is way offset by the startled driver wrenching the wheel to correct it.

flashguy

Exactly. The suddenness of the vibrations causes and involuntary tightening of your grip on the steering wheel allowing you to maintain control of the vehicle and re-center it in your lane.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I wonder if rumble strips could be designed to guide the tire back toward the center.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Many roads in my area have a rumble strip at the centerline.

AZ has instituted this policy. New highway pavings include the center rumble strip.

I live just off US 93, but our house is 1/2 mile back from the highway. On a normal day (with the prevailing wind blowing from our house towards the highway, S->N) I cannot hear any vehicle noise except for rumble strip noise. When AZ repaved 93 with the center rumble strip, at first I kept wondering why so many vehicles were wandering off the road in one short stretch. Turns out they were passing. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
They suck if you're on a motorcycle.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Those strips are my friends. Saved my sleepy ass many times.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Well if you hit them, then you're already veering so...

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post