SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have questions about fountain pens, care to help?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have questions about fountain pens, care to help? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Two that I am curious about are the Colorverse Stars & Stripes and Colorverse Stars & Stripes Glistening on the Goulet site.

Here's a good review of the Stars and Stripes ink with lots of images:
https://www.mountainofink.com/

And another page comparing various blue-black inks:
https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/blue-black-ink

And a great site I've dealt with for bottled inks before, especially the hard to find Seitz - Kreuznach brand. Also got my Pelikan Edlestein, Diamine, and J. Herbin inks from them as well.
https://www.seitz-global.com/office/ink/bottled-ink

A quote from a penhabit review of the Seitz-Kreuznach ink:
"Ink is produced and sold by German pen and stationary shop Seitz-Kreuznach, based in Bad Kreuznach in Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany. In addition to pens and ink, Seitz-Kreuznach also sells a plentitude of other things like knives and shaving equipment. International buyers might find them under the name “Seitz-Global,” to help with the difficult pronunciation of “Kreuznach” for non-German speakers. Sometime after opening in 2005 they started carrying their own ink produced in Austria, like Montblanc inks. It’s possible, in fact, they may be from the same manufacturer, which would explain the astounding features of this ink."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Here's a list of papers (in no particular order) to consider for use with fountain pens. Some are available in both loose sizes as well as notebooks and journals in various bindings, plain or with some "guides" (lines, dots, squares, etc.). Others less so.

-- Tomoe River
-- Rhodia
-- Clairefontaine
-- Fabriano
-- Midori
-- Maruman
-- Apica
-- Leuchturm
-- HP Premium Laser 32 lb

Obviously there are many others, especially from Japan.

Like nibs and ink, paper choices are very personal. FWIW, my preference is for Fabriano Ecoqua (85gsm) and Clairefontaine Triomphe (90gsm). I gravitate toward the A5 size too.

The widely touted Tomoe River 52gsm I found too thin. They also have a heavier 68gsm weight but I never have tried it. And they are apparently changing their manufacturing / formulae (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354695-tomoe-river-paper-changing-manufacturing/). No idea of the actual impact.

Edited to fix spelling errors

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you’d like me to send you some sheets of the heavier Tomoe River, shoot me an email with your address

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
If you’d like me to send you some sheets of the heavier Tomoe River, shoot me an email with your address

Thank you Sir!
Appreciate the kind offer but I'd much sooner see such generous gestures directed towards younger folks who are just beginning to experiment with what's out there.
At 73 I'm pretty much set with pens, ink, and paper on hand to last for the "duration!" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Agifter, I am a project manager in the electrical distribution world. I take lots of notes at meetings. Sometimes, I even read them at a later date. Lol.

Really appreciate all the info. I have tons of research to do now. I should probably find some sort of portable lap desk so in free moments I can practice penmanship.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should probably find some sort of portable lap desk so in free moments I can practice penmanship.

LOL Big Grin I've had a Levenger's Editor's Desk for eons. Folds up flat and locks. Mine is an earlier vintage with the optional "non-skid" surface inlay.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
You sir are an enabler! and I think I like it. Lol Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sir are an enabler! and I think I like it. Lol Smile

Sadly they are no longer made. That said they frequently show up used for sale.

There are also numerous portable inclined writing surface desks out there which may suit you well.

An example: https://www.amazon.com/Ergonom...mfort/dp/B07P8FNZF3/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
FFips, do you know which size paper you like?

Also, how many pages could you need, to get through a meeting?

I used to scan my notes, now I use dragon naturally speaking and read them in to it.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I worry that if I carried a pen daily I would end up wearing the ink vs using it, so stopped,

I haven't had a fountain pen leak on me since my elementary school days learning to write in cursive with pens like this one:

No shirt pocket carry for me. I've long preferred carrying my pens in cases. Mine:

that Shaeffer is the one I had,

and still have somewhere,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have a beautiful vintage Parker Vacumatic that leaked on me once, so I don't carry it any more.

I have a bunch of modern Visconti, Pelikan, and Kaweco fountain pens, none of which have ever leaked a drop of ink.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maladat- you know you can get your Vacumatic repaired so that it will leak no more. Send it to Ron Zorn at www.mainstreetpens.com, or to Danny Fudge. I will post Danny website's URL in a few minutes, I dont have it memorized.
Got it, Danny Fudge's site is called The Write Pen, URL is : thewritepen.net

Also are you anyplace near Houston? If so, make a trip to Droomgoole's Pen Shop located in the Rice Village are near Rice U.'s campus. Larry and Mike Droomgoole will help you get your vintage Vacumatic repaired so that it works like it did the day it left the Parker factory in Janesville, WI, in the 1930s!!! SmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've spent an embarrassing amount of money at Dromgoole's over the years.

I guess I just assumed it was part and parcel of an old school fill mechanism, but maybe it's worth getting it looked at.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It will take me a bit to dial in the paper and size. I trend toward a 8.5×11 pad, however would like to get to something a bit smaller.

As to number of pages, I write on one side amd filled about 15 pages today.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will take me a bit to dial in the paper and size. I trend toward a 8.5×11 pad, however would like to get to something a bit smaller.

As to number of pages, I write on one side and filled about 15 pages today.

Sounds like me. Eons ago I started with legal pads. But soon downsized to regular letter sized pads. They were an easier fit in leather folios I liked too. Ended up they were not a good match for notes I wanted to match with various files as invariably too many pages would not even come close to being filled out. So it was 8x5 pads which hit the right spot for me. And yes I have leather folios for them too. Big Grin Been preferring that size for decades. The equivalent in pen friendly paper is the A5 pad. :thumbsup:

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
As you go from ink to ink, do you rinse or simply add new ink?

Using my el cheapo shaefer yesterday, I went from a blue ink to a red one. I expected a transition through purple to red. I was suprised however to see an almost brown to red transition. This could have been due to the nib having dried vlue ink on it.

On a yellow pad, it almost appeared as dried blood in many places...

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Definitely wash it out. Some inks will react with one another, and form a precipitate.

Now, I blend inks all the time, but I stick with blending P-I inks together, and doing test batches first, or blending inks meant to be mixed. (De Atramentis document line, mostly.)

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Gfeller.us makes note pad covers, as well. (If they aren't listed, call/email. If they aren't too backed up, they will do custom covers.)

I've had them do a few different sizes. Their leather is just amazing stuff. It sunburns, and develops all kinds of patina - I usually abuse it, before I put the wax treatment on it.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that info. I hadn't thought about it from a chemical standpoint. Inks were both cartidges that came with the set mentioned in the first post. Same brand/manufacturer just different colors.

With the way this one is made, it would be easy to soak the nib in a cup. Would isopropyl alcohol cause any issues? Thought would be to use it to dry/displace the majority of the water. Spritzed outside not doused in it.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Most of my pens/inks clean up easily just flushing with water and then blowing air. Some I soak in a cup - maybe even add a tiny bit of Dawn. I usually only use alcohol when I spill ink on something I shouldn't or if the ink has dried up in the pen and really gummed it up. As far as I can tell, the worst issue could be shortening the lives of rubber parts.

My pens are all Pilots - Metro and Vanishing Point

I always flush with water and completely dry it though when changing inks. Some do not play nice together. As mentioned before, blunt needles are a very useful tool.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post