SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concept2 or other rower users, 100,000 meter challenge for January? Now with prizes!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concept2 or other rower users, 100,000 meter challenge for January? Now with prizes! Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m participating in a 100,000 meter rowing challenge next month. Just for fun and motivation. That averages just under 3,226m a day for 31 days or however. I plan to split it up between 5k and 10k distances since a 5k is about 22min or so for me so that makes a good 30 minute trip including a warm up and cool down.

I’ve decided to offer some prizes. Two $25 gift cards, probably to Amazon or Top Gun or something.

One will go to the most meters over 100k and the other to the fastest overall time for 100k.

A few rules:
On your honor!
Have a valid email.
Reside in the US to receive gift card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
you win......I’ll be sitting on the couch eating popcorn! Big Grin

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, good luck! I'd recommend doing something like 100 push ups 3x per week on the 5k days to keep the upper body somewhat balanced.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Great idea! We have a Concept 2 at my local fitness center that I 'try' to hit three times a week. I get in just over 6,000m per 30 minute session.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I assume this is part of the organized Concept 2 January challenge? If so, is there a team I need to join?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I do 6K meters a day now although the cold bug just hit me but I am in. Thanks

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nothing official through C2 or anyone. Just me and a couple friends.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I could maybe do that game where you shoot at the clown's mouth with the water pistol but that's about it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got cleared after surgery to start exercising again. While I'll be back on my C2, there is no way I'm going to be able to do 100k in my first month back.

I did a "Dog Days of Summer Challenge" in the past and know it will take me a bit to work back up to that distance.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have a rowboat and enjoy fishing. One of y'all want to row me around the lake, I'm in for the ride.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What drag factor do you guys usually run on your Concept 2?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
What drag factor do you guys usually run on your Concept 2?

Im usually about 6 or 7.

OP -Do you want us to just post our meters weekly?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
7 if I’m doing long rows. 10 for short sprints.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I run drag at 120 which is near on water rowing. Sustained rowing at a heavy drag can cause lower back issues. As my serbian friend whos. A coach and olympic world champ told me, try and get big power on a low drag. Of course thats pertaining to actual rowing for off season stuff.

Ohhhh a contest, can i play? Wink

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yep, you’re welcome! Especially if you have any advice!

http://www.concept2.com/indoor...o/damper-setting-101

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I know there are quite a few rowers on here, join in. No pressure.

This will be a tough challenge for me as I’m way out of practice.

I will probably use the Pete Plan for beginners and adjust meters if needed to get to 100k. https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Alright gents. Count me out on the prizes but in for the fun.

Jan 1 start.

Completed 8k

3x2k at 2:14.8 pace. Also a 2k warmup at 9:29.7

It was a tougher this time cardio wise. Thanks for doing this riley. After completing 2M meters last year in november i basically took december off.

+1 on the pete plan. Thats what i started with 2 years ago. Gets easier every day!

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Straight 5k for me today. 24:37. About 3 minutes off my better times. It’s been months though. My goal, by July 1 is sun 20 min.

I think I need the Pete Plan more for variety than anything. 25 minutes of staring at the wall and monitor isn’t my favorite part. However, a TV is in the works to help pass the time on the long steady rows.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
They sell a 5$ doo hicky that sits on the monitor. I put my tablet on there and netflix. Makes the halfs tolerable.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Well, took a hit and am behind.

However, my last 5k improved to 23:13 with a 2.19 pace and an average 23 spm. I had set my goal at maintaining under a 2:25 pace and as I got going tried to maintain about 20-25spm. My pacing isn’t so great but it’s getting better. I adjusted the rower and went for a 163 to a 113 drag so I’ll probably bump that to 120-125. I’m thinking sub 22 by end of this month.

Oh, and I’ve got to get my music or something set up. 25minutes of watching the display and wall while listening only to the fan....