SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking About Buying a Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter. Which One to Get?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking About Buying a Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter. Which One to Get? Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
I do not need a deluxe one.

Just one that is reliable and affordable.

Thanks for your input.
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
4 years ago I bought a accU-rate CMS-500D Deluxe Finger Pulse Oximeter from Amazon. I used it daily for over 2 years, sometimes more than once a day. I've been quite happy with it and found it to be accurate when compared to the ones in doctor's offices. This Deluxe model also includes a plethysmograph and bargraph, and the only inaccuracies I found were when I was experiencing extreme arrythmia so severe that the heart rate monitor isn't capable of detecting it...only an EKG can.

I can't find my exact finger monitor listed on Amazon any longer, but this model is so close in name, model #, features, and appearance that I suspect it's the same one, or an upgraded version. Perhaps the mfr. changed names or sold the business.

https://www.amazon.com/Zacurat...gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

After reading this thread I dug up mine and powered it up, but it keeps powering down, so it looks like it's time for new batts.

I know you said you didn't need a deluxe model but it's the only one I have experience with, and while there are cheaper ones available I didn't think this model was very expensive.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have an Innovo I got from Amazon for around 25 bucks. It works well and the results match what the one at my doctor’s office shows. My buddy subsequently bought one for his GF and has had no issues either.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Dang! Years ago when I looked into it, the Nonin seemed to be the way to go. I ended up back burnering it as I didn’t fly enough at a high enough cabin altitude to justify spending $200 for a basic pulse oximeter.

Nonin is still out there. A quick look showed their basic one (Go2) is $99, with more features available for more dollars. Further investigation shows the Go2 on indefinite backorder and recommending their $179 one.

However, it looks like there are many options in the $17 - $25 price range. I’ll be following this thread with interest, ‘cause for $25 bucks it makes a lot of sense to have one in the Travel Air mapbox.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ReliOn from Wally seems to do the trick.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Samsung Galaxy phones have them built in utilizing the Samsung Health app. Not sure about other phone brands or how accurate it actually is. I use mine all the time though.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Mine says it's a SMARTHEART--I bought it at a local drugstore. It works OK.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Many brands don't seem to stick around for very long, which is more than a little disquieting. I'd picked a brand some time ago. When, months later, I decided to pull the trigger, it had disappeared.

Never did buy one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got a CVS branded one. Does what it's supposed to.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've had this one for over 4 years and while I don't use it that much, it works fine every time I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Travel Air
<thread drift> That brings back some memories! The time was around 1990, give or take a year or two. I had been flying, and instructing in, Bonanzas and Barons. A "Good Old Boy" at Our Little Airport had just sold the C-182 that he had been flying for years, and bought a Travel Air, needed the multi-engine rating. I worked with him until he was more than ready, then found the only examiner in the area at the time who was designated for Travel Air and had an opening on his schedule. Examiner was a "cowboy," went way outside of the PTS (Practical Test Standards) and pink-slipped my trainee, but that's a story for another time.

It was the only Travel Air I have flown. Nice airplane! </thread drift>

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I've had this one for over 4 years and while I don't use it that much, it works fine every time I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same one. Works well.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
They are all the same for the most part.
I do not know of one NOT made in China. Nonin was the best but they are irrelevant at this point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone
I wound up getting this one.

Went to my pulmonologist today.
Found he is using the same one.

Thanks Again

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Bought my wife on @ walmart -- I think it was an equate and it works great.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
A reminder Pulse Ox’s have limitations. They measure the saturation of hemoglobin. Regardless of what the hemoglobin is saturated with. CO has a greater affinity for hemoglobin than O2. Don’t use it as a end all if you even think you’ve been exposed to CO. You could read 100% and be severely hypoxic. An ABG would have to be done to see what your O2 level was.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Thanks everyone
I wound up getting this one.

Went to my pulmonologist today.
Found he is using the same one.

Thanks Again

That's the one that I'd suggested. Mine came with an invitation from the manufacturer to rate it, if yours did as well you might use yours for awhile and then offer your rating.

Even if you decide not to rate it I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of it after you've used it for a while as I've been asked about pulse oximeter suggestions and would like to get some feedback on their latest offerings.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post