SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a basic 1xAA flashlight.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a basic 1xAA flashlight. Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
No need for something even vaguely expensive for this use. The link below is for one seller of a flashlight that's sold by a lot of different vendors. I've had one of these for years. Cheap and very good for what it is. By a few (vendors sell them for multiples for less), if you lose one, it's no big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraFi...s=cree+aa+flashlight

+1 on this.

Based on advice received here, I bought a 6 pack of them and they're the schizznitz. Focusable beam, dang powerful for a single AA. Little hard on batteries, but for a throw-away flashlight, a helluva deal.

The O-light has double the lumens and likely has better battery management.

A lot of flashlight companies build cheap lights with cheap electronics and play a bunch of tricks to advertise super bright output. Chances are that it can run at that brightness for a few minutes and it kills most of the battery.

I've been impressed with the O-light flashlights I have. I gave some I3E EOS AAA flashlights as Christmas presents last year and the people I gave them to still rave about how great they are.

The O-Light store runs a lot of promotions, they have one starting tomorrow...

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No need for something even vaguely expensive for this use. The link below is for one seller of a flashlight that's sold by a lot of different vendors. I've had one of these for years. Cheap and very good for what it is. By a few (vendors sell them for multiples for less), if you lose one, it's no big deal.

+1 on this.

Based on advice received here, I bought a 6 pack of them and they're the schizznitz. Focusable beam, dang powerful for a single AA. Little hard on batteries, but for a throw-away flashlight, a helluva deal.

I buy these in the 5-packs for a few cents less than $20.00 delivered. Ya, they're less batteries -- but at the price, who cares!

They're a great size for pocket carry. I have had one on my person at all times for several years! Only "weakness" that I've found (after a good bit of use) is that as the switches wear, they tend to get "iffy". To fix, I remove the switch and play with (slightly bend) the metal contacts.

They aren't Surefire quality or Fenix quality. However, they do work very well, are a screamin' deal and I don't cry if I lose one! I own a $ 100 Malkoff HD2 light (that I'd bet my life on). However, I choose to EDC these decent quality $4 "throwaways". You could call it a "value judgment"!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
... at 8 times the price.

If I lose / break a $40 flashlight (an omnipresent possibility for anow EDC light someone's just going to throw in their pocket) I'd be pretty pissed at myself. A $5 flashlight? No big deal. In point of fact, at $5 a pop, usually sold in mulipacks I'd like have a few stashed in handy places.

And while I fully admit the Olight is better, for most uses a pocket light would be used for, the generic lights plenty good enough. In point of fact, when I got the first one, I was shocked how good it was for the size, independent of price.

quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:

+1 on this.

The O-light has double the lumens and likely has better battery management.

A lot of flashlight companies build cheap lights with cheap electronics and play a bunch of tricks to advertise super bright output. Chances are that it can run at that brightness for a few minutes and it kills most of the battery.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you want the hands down best built option, look at Zebralight. They have got the best design for sinking heat away from the emitter, the best and most energy efficient circuit boards in the business. There is a dizzying array of choices.

http://www.zebralight.com/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've got several of the prior version of this Ultrafire in house, garage, cars. Works great.

ETA - same as above. Good choice, great price.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Fenix LD09 is one of my favs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Damn yall. I knew I'd have yet another flashlight on the way. At least it was only $5 ... for now

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If you want the hands down best built option, look at Zebralight. They have got the best design for sinking heat away from the emitter, the best and most energy efficient circuit boards in the business. There is a dizzying array of choices.

http://www.zebralight.com/

That was my first nice light and I loved it. GREAT lights!

For various reasons though, I'm an O-Light guy now but excellent suggestion.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
Fenix LD09 is one of my favs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered two of the LD09, two chargers, and 4 - 14500 batteries. One for GF's car and one for mine with charger and two batteries for each car. Figure I'll also throw in there a couple of Alkaline ones too just in case.

For anyone else getting one of the Fenix brands please use my link. It gives me a kickback which I can use to feed the habit. Also it's 10% off always with code APP10 and free shipping if the order is over $35.

http://fenixoutfitters.com?afmc=38

For the above LD09 you need to buy two Alkaline Batteries to get the free shipping. Total comes to $35.05 after tax and shipping if you live outside of Oklahoma.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thought I would update this thread too as I just did the lantern one. LD09's were first disappointment I've had with Fenix. First I did not like the way you cycle through the brightness on them, second I had one that worked intermittently while cycling through brightness levels.

I returned the intermittent one and got a LD12 instead. Today I just ordered a second LD12 for the GF's car as she liked the LD12 operation better than the LD09 just like I did. The other one will become a gift or backup to backup duty.

Very happy with LD12, excellent light.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post