SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a basic 1xAA flashlight.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a basic 1xAA flashlight. Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Hey folks,

I am looking for a solid basic 1xAA flashlight. This will just be for around the house/yardworj type stuff. My EDC is an HDS rotary but I prefer to use something less expensive when I just puttering around the garage/house doing work.

I know there are like 100 options out there so just looking for some ideas. I have had Fenix in past and been generally happy but I did just have an LD 22 go bad on me. Martac seems interested if. What's so you guys like? I am slightly a tint snob.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Eveready EVEPLED23AEH Pen LED Energizer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...gid=pla-555706965752

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I can't advise on AA, but I've got a little AAA Streamlight that my brother gave me a couple of years ago that I've carried every day since, and it's great. I've got a single AA Fenix that I wouldn't consider as reliable. The little Streamlight would be my top recommendation.

http://www.streamlight.com/en/...il/index/protac-1aaa

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fenix has warranty of 30-60 months based on when purchased. If out of warranty mail to them they will fix it, and return shipping and labor is covered in part cost. Don't throw it out quite yet, check when you originally purchased it.

I'm a Fenix junkie, but I never have bought a AA model always 18650s, I'll be watching this thread as I decided the other day when I forgot my PD32 that I need backups in all vehicles. Something small like a single AA one would be perfect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I've become a huge fan of headlamps lately.
Having both hands free to do whatever you need to is a huge plus...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have several Microstream Streamlight flashlights. AAA battery though, but they have been great. I like the AAA models because my headlamps are AAA so that’s one less battery size to worry about, I don’t have many AA items.

The ProTac listed above might be better with the two modes.

I’m still a big Surefire fan, but for everyday tasks, most of them are too bright with short battery life and more expensive. They are now emergency or weaponlights only.

I was looking at Maratac, as I want the copper light, but I prefer a push button on the end. The twist style can get turned on in a pocket.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always used Streamlight especially the SL-30 series but I was looking for a small bail out light and an extra one for my uniform pocket.

The two Streamlight's I had failed me so I went back to Pelican. I have been extremely happy with their AA and AAA variants.

I did have a problem with one of their AAA variants. I contacted the local rep. and got it exchanged no problems.

I also love my little mini mag. Of all the dozen or so flashlights I have that is my favorite.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My old school AA x2 Maglight does not see much service these days. A single AAA Surefire Titan on a lanyard about the house, one of the cheapo AAA x3 LED lamps (they always break), and a CR123 variable output LED headlamp. An older model CR123 x2 E2E Executive flashlight as well is still keeping up.

That AAA x2 pen light linked by side_shot looks like a good idea to round out my lights. I was on a scaffold Friday with no EDC flashlight on me. Eek

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I've become a huge fan of headlamps lately.
Having both hands free to do whatever you need to is a huge plus...

Man, I'm with you on that. I had my eye on a fairly expensive one. My wife bought me a pair of relatively inexpensive Coast ones for Christmas. I was sceptical, but they work fine. They take three AAAs. I use Eneloops in them. (I don't put alkaleak batteries in anything, any more. It's all either rechargeable NiMH, rechargeable lithium or lithium primary.)

As for a small, single-AA... dunno. There's not a lot of energy in a single AA cell. I tend to stick with single CR1233 lights for pocket carry. I do have a small LumaPower single-AA. I think it's the LED light I've owned the longest.

As for brands: My best LED lights have all been LumaPower brand. I have/had Olight and Fenix, as well. Also have some Surefire incans that were gifted to me. They're my favourites, but I don't use them much. (I really should upgrade them all to LEDs.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the ozark trail Walmart brand. They have some decent LED lights. I buy them for about 9.99 for my kids since they get misplaced often. Good brightness with decent battery life and a decent aluminum case. My surefires are rarely used because the batteries gonso dast and are expensive relative to Aa or Aaa

I have black diamond headlamp I keep in my center console.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Hey folks,

I am looking for a solid basic 1xAA flashlight. This will just be for around the house/yardworj type stuff. My EDC is an HDS rotary but I prefer to use something less expensive when I just puttering around the garage/house doing work.

Fenix E12. I have several and have bought them as gifts for friends, too.
Rugged, bright, good battery life, compact, very reliable. Mine have never failed to work.

https://www.amazon.com/E12-fla...x+e12+led+flashlight

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
No need for something even vaguely expensive for this use. The link below is for one seller of a flashlight that's sold by a lot of different vendors. I've had one of these for years. Cheap and very good for what it is. By a few (vendors sell them for multiples for less), if you lose one, it's no big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraFi...s=cree+aa+flashlight

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the Streamlight Pro Tac 1L-1AA. It's a dual fuel light that uses either 1 AA or 1 CR123. It's bright, compact, and backed by a lifetime warranty.
https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...hlight/dp/B01G75P1SC

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
Pelican 1910B. I have a couple of these and one of their 2 AA models too. Very nice bright light for the price.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of the L3 Illumination L10/11 series for quite some time. One a Nichia (best tint for true color rendition) and one a Cree. Both have regulated adjustable output and very long battery life. Love 'em!

http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination-c36/
https://www.amazon.com/L3-ILLU...hlight/dp/B00PQYGG4Y

I also have an earlier version of the Thrunite Archer 1A which also has regulated adjustable output. Its somewhat bigger than the L3 units. It also has a strobe function if that matters to you.
http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-archer-1a-v3/
https://www.amazon.com/ThruNit...hlight/dp/B00K70NECE

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16185 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Olight S1A

While I have no direct use of this product, I think if I were in your shoes, this would be what I get. They offer a pretty decent warranty (5 years) and everywhere I have looked, the reviews are consistently high. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
No need for something even vaguely expensive for this use. The link below is for one seller of a flashlight that's sold by a lot of different vendors. I've had one of these for years. Cheap and very good for what it is. By a few (vendors sell them for multiples for less), if you lose one, it's no big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraFi...s=cree+aa+flashlight

+1 on this.

Based on advice received here, I bought a 6 pack of them and they're the schizznitz. Focusable beam, dang powerful for a single AA. Little hard on batteries, but for a throw-away flashlight, a helluva deal.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I really like the Streamlight 1L-1AA. The versatility is great, good beam good output. Just a good honest light and I like the interface.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
In a matter of a couple weeks Home Depot will be selling a three pack of Duracell LED flashlights for $19.99 for Christmas. I have a couple of these three packs. They're a quality product for not a lot of coin.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olight S15

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post