SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "California governor floats cutting traffic fines for low-income drivers"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"California governor floats cutting traffic fines for low-income drivers" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Where did I say anything of varying tiers or Democrats?[/QUOTE]

The state being discussed was California.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
most traffic tickets are just another way for the government to collect revenue... through a 'sin' tax... I figure why not just prepay your tickets... that way you are taxing the rich ahead of time....say I pay the state $1000 and that lets me drive 20mph over the speed limit for the next year.... can't figure out why the politicians have not figured this out yet.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
What about "equal protection under the law?

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.” Who cares what it costs if you don’t speed?

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I say make traffic fines more percentage based according to income. You violate traffic laws, you get fined X%. Fair. A $100 fine doesn’t affect me nearly as much as it would someone making <27k/year.

Why cater to people based on income? Why not have one set of rules for everyone? If you don’t violate traffic laws, the penalty doesn’t matter.

What’s next different levels of penalty for murder based on one’s level of income?

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Almost everybody in here is complaining about equality and "not breaking the law", and only one person has really gotten it so far:

quote:
most traffic tickets are just another way
for the government to collect revenue

How about we address the real problem here. It's not people driving, or how people are fined, but that fact that the government is using drivers as a piggy bank.

We have seen it around here when the state limited what percentage of a city's budget could come from traffic fines. All of a sudden the sea of police cars "keeping drivers safe" all but disappeared. Odd isn't it? If it was really about safety why did they all leave?

And for those who state that people simply shouldn't break the law, there are so many laws that you likely have no idea how many you yourself break in any given day.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
What about "equal protection under the law"?

It was a great idea. It served us well for 200 years or so.
But the whole idea of "equal protection under the law" falls by the wayside when some are not prosecuted because they are in a protected class based on race or gender, some because they lack the resources to pay the fine, and some because they are connected or tied into the "deep state".

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Many traffic laws are ostensibly designed with the safety of the driving public in mind. With this plan, if you are struck and killed by a speeding, red-light running low income driver, will you only be 50% dead?

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Well, Oakland has a policy in place to have LE ignor "minor" traffic infractions such as blown tail lights, blowing a stop sign, etc. Basically to curb criticism of pulling over too many blacks.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I say make traffic fines more percentage based according to income. You violate traffic laws, you get fined X%. Fair. A $100 fine doesn’t affect me nearly as much as it would someone making <27k/year.
Cool. Since I'm soon to retire and will have little 'income', how about we also change the laws governing murder. I get 1/10 the punishment someone who makes 10 times what I make does. Makes sense, right? Wow! Roll Eyes

I’m with you. Screw that. Typical new America get penalized more for doing the same thing because you busted your ass and sacrificed more than someone else.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
What about "equal protection under the law"?

It was a great idea. It served us well for 200 years or so.
But the whole idea of "equal protection under the law" falls by the wayside when some are not prosecuted because they are in a protected class based on race or gender, some because they lack the resources to pay the fine, and some because they are connected or tied into the "deep state".

Yeah, I know. Some peoples lives are more important than others. That is why the penalty is greater when they get injured or don't pay their drug dealer.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about community service instead of fines? I hear there are some littering problems in San Francisco.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How about community service instead of fines? I hear there are some littering problems in San Francisco.

That’s a much better idea.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

That’s a much better idea.
Really... Last time I checked here in Central Florida, there were over a million hours of community service on the books and garbage lines most of our local roads. When I asked about people burning off some of their community service hours picking up garbage, I was advised that wouldn't be happening because 1) It too hot outside in Florida for them to safely work, and 2) Forcing them to pickup garbage creates a public safety concern for them. The reality is, most people who get community service hours will never have to complete them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Cool. Since I'm soon to retire and will have little 'income', how about we also change the laws governing murder. I get 1/10 the punishment someone who makes 10 times what I make does. Makes sense, right? Wow! Roll Eyes

You realize that income, net worth, etc. aren’t just calculated using a paycheck, right? I also hope you realize that laws have significant more than one sentence to detail exactly how they will work. We are speaking about general concepts here.

I keep seeing “one set of rules for everyone”. That is what I’m advocating. You fuck up, you lose x% of your shit. Income is just an easy way to help with the overall structure as well as the discussion.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zingo:
Where did I say anything of varying tiers or Democrats?

The state being discussed was California.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Can you answer my question?

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Why cater to people based on income? Why not have one set of rules for everyone? If you don’t violate traffic laws, the penalty doesn’t matter.

What’s next different levels of penalty for murder based on one’s level of income?

If you have a problem with fines being used a punishment (which caters to income) that is another argument. I’m also advocating for an even level of penalty. The current fine method is very uneven.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

If you have a problem with fines being used a punishment (which caters to income) that is another argument. I’m also advocating for an even level of penalty. The current fine method is very uneven.

That's the way shakedowns fines work in most banana republics....
It's whatever they think you can pay.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It’s a simple solution...

You never go a mile about the limit?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an OPINION column from Syracuse NY. Most of the comments do not agree with the author.

https://www.syracuse.com/opini...sses-commentary.html

Opinion

Taking away licenses for unpaid tickets hurts NY families, businesses (Commentary)

By Kelly Gonzalez

Today 10:29 AM

Nobody likes a traffic ticket. At best, it’s a nuisance. At worst, as hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers have experienced, a traffic ticket can be the start of a devastating chain of events.

At the Center for Community Alternatives, we help people touched by the criminal legal system reintegrate into their communities. Our work includes connecting our participants to job opportunities and stable housing. Our participants rely on their driver’s licenses to secure and maintain their jobs, to access health care, and to utilize our services, including a peer-to-peer mentorship program. But a suspended license is a major obstacle for our participants as they work to get back on their feet.

For Michael, one of the participants at the Center for Community Alternatives, a traffic ticket from 1988 led to him to spend a week in jail and owe thousands of dollars in court fines and fees. In 1998, Michael returned to Syracuse after living out of state. He was pulled over by the police, who found that he had an outstanding traffic ticket from 10 years earlier. Because he had not appeared in court, there was a warrant for his arrest. He was charged with a misdemeanor and spent a week in jail.

Upon Michael’s release, he appeared before a judge who ordered him to pay to get his driver’s license back or face the possibility of more time behind bars. Michael found it impossible to pay. In addition to the hundreds of dollars for the initial ticket, he also now owed court-imposed fees and fees at the Deparment of Motor Vehicles.

For a time, Michael had a job in Fayetteville, but there was no bus route that could take him there from his home in Syracuse. Faced with the choice of losing his job or driving and risking another arrest, Michael made the decision to drive without a valid license so that he could earn enough money to pay his fines and fees. This continued a vicious cycle of punishment and poverty.

For years, Michael accrued new charges in various town courts for driving without a license. He would try to make partial payments, but many of the town courts refused to accept anything but full payment. He continually had to appear in court, burdening his family for transportation. Michael lost his job, accrued thousands of dollars in debt, and spent time in jail — all because of a single traffic ticket.

Between January 2016 and April 2018, the State of New York issued nearly 1.7 million Traffic Debt Suspensions — driver’s license suspensions for not paying traffic tickets or appearing to contest them. As Michael’s story illustrates, people who do not pay their traffic fines or appear at traffic hearings are not trying to skirt the law — they simply can’t afford to pay their traffic debt. In response, New York criminalizes poverty, instead of offering support.

Losing a driver’s license is no small thing. A suspension can threaten a person’s entire livelihood. Thirty percent of jobs in New York require driving, and many employers require a valid driver’s license. A study in New Jersey found that 42 percent of drivers lost their jobs when their driver’s license was suspended. Driving is such a necessity that 75 percent of people continue to drive after their license gets suspended — risking a criminal charge, more fines and fees, and even jail time. New York forces people to make this impossible choice.

This injustice is compounded by the fact that license suspensions are not issued at the same rate for everyone. Low-income people and people of color bear the brunt of our broken system. Driver’s license suspension rates in New York’s 10 poorest communities are nearly nine times as high as those in New York’s 10 wealthiest communities. Our communities with the highest percentage of people of color have traffic debt suspension rates up to four times as high as those in our whitest communities. For our low-income participants of color who can’t afford to pay their traffic tickets, a driver’s license suspension can be devastating.

Legislatures across the country are fixing the cruel and counterproductive practice of suspending a driver’s license for not paying a traffic ticket. In fact, six states recently ended debt-based suspensions. New York must join this movement by passing the Driver’s License Suspension Reform Act, sponsored by Assembly Member Pamela Hunter (D-Syracuse) and state Sen. Timothy Kennedy (D-Buffalo). This bill will:

End traffic debt suspensions;

Make affordable payment plans available;

Provide additional notice of traffic hearings; and

Reinstate all driver’s licenses suspended for traffic debt.

Losing your driver’s license means losing out on opportunity. This bill will help our participants keep their jobs and pay their fines. It’s a win-win for our participants and for the state. When California made similar reforms, revenue increased.

We thank Hunter for her continued support of our participants and look forward to joining her this session in the fight to end traffic debt suspensions. It’s time to stop taking away people’s licenses just because they don’t have money.

Kelly Gonzalez is deputy director of the Center for Community Alternatives, in Syracuse.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Is this not the same moron who has run the state into more than TWO TRILLION DOLLARS OF DEBT?

And who are these "low income drivers"?

Oh, yeah I forgot.

Illegals

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post