SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "California governor floats cutting traffic fines for low-income drivers"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"California governor floats cutting traffic fines for low-income drivers" Login/Join 
posted
THIS IS NOT SATIRE! It is a genuine article.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/mo...nment-budget-traffic

California governor floats cutting traffic fines for low-income drivers

Gavin Newsom wants families earning $27K to pay half-price for citations

By Evie Fordham
FOXBusiness

California Gov. Gavin Newsom's recent state budget proposal included cutting traffic ticket fines in half for low-income residents, CBS 8 reported.

The state has more than $1.8 billion in fines for delinquent traffic citations. Officers issued 3.6 million traffic citations in 2019 from which the state only collected $1.4 billion in fines. A recent study suggested that high fines result in people avoiding paying them at all, according to CBS 8.

The lower fines would apply to Californians making up to 125 percent of the poverty line, which equates to roughly $27,000 for a family of four, CBS 8 reported.

But not everyone agrees with the strategy.

"Why separate the lower-income folks from the higher income folks when it comes to driving?" San Diego resident Kevin Allen told CBS 8. "I think we just got to make sure we follow the law when it comes to driving your car."

Another San Diego resident, Eric Abramson, told CBS 8 he was in favor.

"I think it's a good idea, because some people of low income can be trapped in a cycle of a tax that's going to be the same or a ticket that's going to be the same as someone with a larger income that can pay that," Abramson said.

Newsom presented a $222 billion budget proposal to state lawmakers Friday. That set off six months of hearings and negotiations before the Legislature must act by mid-June, which would be weeks before the fiscal year begins on July 1. The state also will have an estimated $107 billion in federal funds to spend in the next budget year.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Another break for the illegal aliens.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
How about equal representation under the law?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Buying votes. Period.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Blue sky, lightning bolt, rainbow, beauty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Somewhat reminiscent of this scheme in Finland:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/0...lready-have-one.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I say make traffic fines more percentage based according to income. You violate traffic laws, you get fined X%. Fair. A $100 fine doesn’t affect me nearly as much as it would someone making <27k/year.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Officer: License, Registration, Insurance and Income Tax Forms, please.

Motorist: What? Income Tax Forms? Who do you think I am, Donald Trump?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just show the Officer your Obama phone and EBT card along with your license.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I say make traffic fines more percentage based according to income. You violate traffic laws, you get fined X%. Fair. A $100 fine doesn’t affect me nearly as much as it would someone making <27k/year.

Get outta here with that common sense!

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Detroit reduced parking penalties for city residents by 50% last year with some conditions, must be paid within five days, no outstanding tickets.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:

Then tiered percentages like income taxes. Middle class pay thousands, low income pays nothing.

Democrats would never do anything like that. Roll Eyes

Might want to rethink your plan of letting democrats determine what fair is.

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

They already don't follow the law.
Maybe we should give them cars?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
More class warfare

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

They already don't follow the law.
Maybe we should give them cars?

And then, they will want free cellphones.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zingo:
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:

Then tiered percentages like income taxes. Middle class pay thousands, low income pays nothing.

Democrats would never do anything like that. Roll Eyes

Might want to rethink your plan of letting democrats determine what fair is.

Where did I say anything of varying tiers or Democrats?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool. Since I'm soon to retire and will have little 'income', how about we also change the laws governing murder. I get 1/10 the punishment someone who makes 10 times what I make does. Makes sense, right? Wow! Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well, let's also address the issue of how outrageous traffic fines are in California. It's not just the fine, there's all the other add-ons that the state has tacked on. The average cost of a speeding ticket in California is $710. So yeah, that's a pretty significant financial hit for most of us.

https://ticketbust.com/califor...speeding-ticket-cost

THE REAL CALIFORNIA SPEEDING TICKET COST

Date Posted:
January 15, 2019
The Real California Speeding Ticket Cost

What is the most common traffic ticket infracted upon California drivers? Speeding tickets by a mile. This being said, it may be useful to go over what speeding tickets REALLY cost. After all, the amount on the ticket is usually different from the amount quoted by the DMV, which is usually different from the amount you actually pay—and so on. Let’s take a look at the actual cost of a California speeding ticket.

Average costs of a speeding ticket in California

The average California speeding ticket cost is $710 for a $35 base-fine infraction.

This isn’t even incorporating insurance hikes. In California, speeding tickets for going 15 mph over the limit accounted to an average rate increase of $150 per year, equating to a 15% hike on average. On average, California drivers will pay an additional $160 every year in extra insurance rates for 36 months following a speeding ticket.

Ticket base fines and surcharges

Determining how much your California speeding ticket will cost can be a tough feat, as there are many state and county-imposed penalties and assessments typically added to the base fine. Let’s go over the base fines. Speeding between 1 and 15 mph brings about a small $35 base fine. Between 16 and 25 mph has a $70 base fine. Over 26 mph boasts a $100 base fine, while going 100 or more mph over the speed limit incurs a hefty $200 base fine.

On average, Californians pay 6 times the cost of the base fine of the original speeding ticket. This immensely high rate can be attributed to Californians natural tendency to drive “much faster” than the speed limit when incurring an infraction.

California Speeding Ticket

California enforces a surcharge of 20% on all traffic citations, including speeding tickets. In addition, there are a great deal of assessments added to the base fine, revolving around that base amount. Here is the complete list:

Court operations assessment – $40.00
Conviction Assessment – $35.00
State penalty assessment) – 100% of base fine
Night court assessment – $1.00
County penalty assessment) – $7 for every $10 of base fine
DNA Identification fund penalty assessment – $4 for every $10 of base fine
State court construction penalty assessment – 50% of base fine
Emergency Medical Air Transportation Services fund penalty assessment – $4.00
Emergency medical services fund penalty assessment – $2 for every $10 of base fine
Check out more information on penalties associated with speeding tickets from the California DMV here:

https://www.dmv.org/ca-califor...es-and-penalties.php

Speeding tickets in construction zones and safety enhancement zones

If you do end up receiving a speeding citation, hopefully it is not in a construction zone or a safety enhancement zone. In a construction zone, your California speeding ticket cost will amount to $367 for going 1 to 15 mph over the limit, $525 for going 16 to 25 mph over the limit, and $648 for going more than 26 mph over the limit. In a safety enhancement zone, you will be fined $280 for going 1 to 15 mph over the limit, $409 for going 16 to 25 mph over the limit, and $532 for going over 25 mph over the limit.

Moral of the story: If you just have to speed, make sure you don’t do it in one of these special zones. Keep in mind that no matter where you incur your speeding ticket, your California driver’s license will receive one “point” from the California DMV point system.

Fight a speeding ticket

Speeding tickets in California are one of the most expensive ticket types in the nation. However, it is possible to dismiss your ticket fully, and avoid the financial burdens that come with it. TicketBust helps you relinquish your ticket with no court involvement, no paperwork, and minimal waiting.

If you find yourself with a traffic violation, be sure you looking out for breaches of traffic patrol policy. These instances can make a huge difference in dismissing your ticket. If you have any questions regarding the costs of speeding tickets, do not hesitate to contact us.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Divide...divide....divide. It's what liberals thrive on.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It’s a simple solution...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post