SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Helicopter mom at the range
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Helicopter mom at the range Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
She's 13 and she's shooting a bow. What wrong thing could possibly happen??? I really can't imagine it.

About the only things I can think of is she shoot herself in the foot or if the boys wanted to cowboy up on her and she can shoot back as an injun.

I mean... weird stuff does happen sometimes. When I was a kid at summer camp one year, a kid had an arrow shatter on release, and the string pushed the back half of the arrow sideways right through the kid's forearm, between the bones.

Now granted, this particular kid was doing something stupid - shooting the camp's "max draw 25 pounds" wood arrows with a compound hunting bow - but the carbon fiber arrows used by competitive archers can get damaged over time in a way that is almost invisible, and then do the same thing. Here's an article about it.

WARNING: Graphic image of a shattered carbon arrow stuck through a guy's hand.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/bl...raphic-image-warning

I'm not saying that means an experienced 13-year-old archer needs immediate adult supervision to do archery. I started dove hunting by myself in South Texas at about that age, and I have to believe that walking around with a shotgun in a place that has rattlesnakes is more dangerous than standing on a firing line shooting a bow. But stuff can happen.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Helicopter parenting is doing irreparable harm to generations of children.

It's already ruined at least one and is working its way through a couple more.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post