SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Helicopter mom at the range
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Helicopter mom at the range Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So daughter is finished with school for the year and wanted to go down to the archery club and get some practice in. So we both packed up our bows and headed down there. It was heaven, the entire range to ourselves. She set up on the large range at 30 meters and I set up on the small range for some short range blank baling.

I took a short break to take care of some coaching items with the one of the owners and a mom entered with her 2 boys who were scheduled to have a private lesson. A few minutes later she comes back out to the front counter waving frantically to the owner,

"Excuse me, there's a girl out there by herself."

"Yeah, that's Maya."

"But she's out there by herself!"

"So?"

"Aren't you worried?"

"No."

"But, it's not safe!"

"Ma'am, let me tell you something about that little girl. She's got more state championships than I can count and a better sense of range safety than 95% of the adults that come in here. She's one of our staff shooters, one of the stars of our Junior Olympic program and it's only a matter of time 'til she brings home a national championship. There's absolutely nothing to worry about with her out there on the range by herself."

"But, there isn't an adult out there."

"Yes there is, she just happens to be 13 years old."

Helicopter mom went back out to the range and absolutely hovered over her 2 sons as they were getting a lesson on the small range. My daughter continued to shoot on the large range. I was flattered by what the owner had to say about our daughter.

I was kind of dumbfounded by the mom. Yes, our daughter used to be a novelty, the little girl that could shoot a bow. But she's a teenager now and I was just surprised at the reaction. Different times I guess. I remember being much younger than my daughter and be turned loose on my own in my uncle's orchard with a bolt action .22, a brick of ammo with my only instructions being shoot only starlings and come running for the dinner bell. I guess now parenting style is to hover rather than letting kids go on their own.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
How about "My daughter can deflate your mom's ego"? Big Grin
I love a good heartwarming story. Smile
Go Maya!

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Helicopter parenting is doing irreparable harm to a generation of children.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
When I was 13, I had spent enough summer camp sessions skipping normal activity rotations to hang around the archery range that they just let me do my own thing and shoot all day with whoever else was there and help out with the little kids.

I ended up doing the same thing the next two summers at the riflery range.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I see them at the golf course. They hover over their kids constantly. Terrible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My sister still does it and both of her lazy sons have never had a job and they are 31 and 33 years old I kid you not.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Times must be different or something. My wife's sister visited us at Cedar Point and couldn't believe we were letting our 10 yo daughter and 11 yo son stand in line by themselves for the roller coasters. My wife reminded her sister that their parents used to drop them off for the day when they were the same age and no one had cell phones.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

My absolute favorite part of the whole story.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I love it! This and Clubleaf's MoZ make this a very nice Friday evening. Plus wife and I went for a nice walk.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my own boat with a 15 horse Evinrude at that age and would be gone all day fishing by myself. This time of year I’d be out in it at night running trot lines and yo yo’s as well as frog hunting. No cell phones no gps but I did carry a .22 rifle and was taught to respect the water and the weather. That helicopter lady would crap a kitten if she saw the sloughs and swamps we ran around in.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:

I’m happy to say that this is how I feel. You have done a great job as a Father. I’m as proud of your daughter as many of us on this forum. Continue on Sir.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 173 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RETTOP:
You have done a great job as a Father. I’m as proud of your daughter as many of us on this forum. Continue on Sir.

Nothing I can do but give this a huge AMEN!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I was a pretty good golfer growing up, and during my summers, my parents would often drop me off at the golf club in the morning and pick me up in the evening. The only rules they gave me were to obey any instructions from the staff and don't play for money.

Different times.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Really nice compliment from the range owner.

There are a lot of kids who are facing a difficult transition to adulthood; glad your daughter isn’t among them.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I see them at the golf course. They hover over their kids constantly. Terrible.

My daughter plays on the school jr high golf team. They got a couple 7th graders together to walk 9 last weekend, and my wife's instructions were to rent a cart and tag along.

I went around to each mom and told them the girls would be on their own, that there were 3 of them and they all had good sense and I'd pick them up in 2-3 hours when they call me. Nobody argued.

I HATE having to monitor a perfectly capable kid.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Helicopter parenting is doing irreparable harm to a generation of children.

I agree and it's the media that creates the problem.

My wife and I have a three year old and while we are certainly not 'helicopter' parents, we both have to make a concerted effort to let our kid push the boundaries and fall and skin her knee etc.

It's hard.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember overnight hiking the Appalachian Trail with fellow 12 year old Boy Scouts with a 14 year old Explorer Scout as the leader.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
This is why parents have to take legal action to evict their 30 year old sons from their homes.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
She's 13 and she's shooting a bow. What wrong thing could possibly happen??? I really can't imagine it.

About the only things I can think of is she shoot herself in the foot or if the boys wanted to cowboy up on her and she can shoot back as an injun.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:

Instant classic!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post