SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Question Regarding My Father's US Army Uniform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question Regarding My Father's US Army Uniform Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
23 years, some overseas stripes and MSG. I bet he had some great stories to tell.

Who else thinks those old asbestos and mold infested buildings are still used at Bragg today? Big Grin

Posts: 13029 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You stated it was his last day in uniform. Possible wearing the Pistol Belt as part of his Retirement Ceremony.

I can tell by looking at the picture:

Your Dad was a Master Sergeant (E8) assigned to a staff position. He served in Vietnam for 1 year, but not as an Infantryman. He was not presently assigned to an Infantry unit. He was not jump qualified. He was qualified EXPERT with at least 1 weapon. I do not believe he was assigned to either the 82d Airborne or the 18th Airborne Corps Headquarters due to the absence of the glider patch on his Garrison cap.

When I get the chance to view the photo on my computer, I may be able to tell you more.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
On my last day in the Army nobody saw me going.

Posts: 11302 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
On my last day in the Army nobody saw me going.

Yeah, nobody saw me going, either!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Can’t discuss the belt.
But sweet Van man!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
He was under arms.
As example, Drill Sergeants wore belts so were considered under arms. That allowed them to keep their headgear on inside buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_arms
https://www.ar670.com/2018/12/...uired-or-prohibited/

That was my first thought, but it also could be every other suggestion in this thread. If he's airborne, he forgot to wear his wings.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
If he's airborne, he forgot to wear his wings.

Not everyone assigned to the 82nd Airborne is Airborne. Just like not everyone assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment is a Ranger.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
If he's airborne, he forgot to wear his wings.

Not everyone assigned to the 82nd Airborne is Airborne. Just like not everyone assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment is a Ranger.

I've never met anyone who was assigned to the 75th Infantry who didn't call themselves a Ranger. That includes all the support troops. Some didn't earn their tab, but they all wore the scroll.

OP, do you know what your dad's MOS was?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never met anyone who was assigned to the 75th Infantry who didn't call themselves a Ranger. That includes all the support troops. Some didn't earn their tab, but they all wore the scroll.

Right. Like OP's Dad, they'd still wear the screaming eagle (or scroll), but they wouldn't have jump wings (or a tab).

One's a unit patch, while the other is a qualification award.

You can have the former without the latter, by virtue of assignment.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Right. Like OP's Dad, they'd still wear the screaming eagle (or scroll), but they wouldn't have jump wings (or a tab).

One's a unit patch, while the other is a qualification award.

You can have the former without the latter, by virtue of assignment.

The 101 ABN still wears the airborne tab as part of it's SSI. They also wear jump boots with their ASU even though they are no longer an airborne division. The ariborne tab is not a qualification award, it's part of a unit's SSI. When a Soldier completes jump school they don't wear an airborne tab if they aren't in an airborne coded slot.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think we're talking past each other. I was referring to the 75th Ranger Regiment scroll vs. Ranger tab, and the 82nd shoulder insignia vs. jump wings.

Unit insignia vs. qualification award.

You were wondering why he didn't have jump wings if he was airborne, and I was pointing out that he wasn't necessarily airborne qualified just because he was assigned to an Airborne Division. There are some positions within the division that are not on jump status, like in some of the support/sustainment units.

Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Back in 1980, there was only one place where the 82d was billeted which still had structures like what's in the picture. Those are known as "Temporary Buildings" and are WWII vintage.

Known as the "Old Division Area", it housed the Division's Armor assets (4th/68th Armor), its anti-aircraft units (3rd/4th Air Defense Artillery), a detachment of MP Investigators, and the 'Repple-Depple' (82d Replacement Co.), which was the first stop for everyone joining the Division.

I suppose its possible that a skilled personnel technician could have been assigned to the replacement co. to process incoming personnel, but that would be the only likely place. Otherwise, you weren't in the Division unless you could exit an aircraft while in flight. There were no support or sustainment units then - everyone was part of the Division, and was deployable. From the Finance and JAG officers, to the cooks and bakers, to the mechanics, the MP's, the supply clerks, and the chaplains assistants.

Outside of the Division area, there were still temporary buildings in use at Smoke Bomb Hill for some students at the JFK Center, and in the COSCOM (Consolidated Support Command) areas.

I'm thinking that COSCOM is the more likely unit Dad was assigned to.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your dad looks STRAC!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Great photo, but your dad doesn't look 40 years old.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone for the replies. A lot of the observations are right on the mark. He retired as an E8 assigned to the 82nd Airborne. I believe he stated his position was "Operations Sergeant" whatever that means. He was not jump qualified as he spent most of his army career in the Signal Corps. His time in Vietnam (1969) was spent setting up/operating radio relay systems in remote locations, for which he earned a Bronze Star.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1437 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I was with the 101st in the 80’s and we blouses our trousers of class A’s as well but the only time you’d wear a web belt was for a certain ceremony or duty that required wearing of class A’s while wearing a pistol (1911 in my days up to 1997). Our uniform regs were the same as the 82nd. As JohnnyEagle mentioned, if he were permanently in the 101st or 82nd he’d have the Airborne/Glider patch. He was most likely attached.

Posts: 5994 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post