SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Question Regarding My Father's US Army Uniform
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question Regarding My Father's US Army Uniform Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
I've discovered a photograph of my father taken in the early 80s on his last day in uniform. He served 23 years and his last assignment was with the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg.

In the attached photograph, he is wearing a green "Class-A" uniform with a web belt around his waist. I grew up on Army posts but don't remember seeing this before. Unfortunately, my father is no longer with us, so I cant ask him.

Can anyone tell me the significance of the belt?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1437 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
May have been something special for airborne troops, but I never saw that unless the person was under arms.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
He may have been going to a formal retreat ceremony where the troops were carrying rifles and he, as a senior NCO, wore the web belt in lieu of lugging a weapon.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1974 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Those bloused trousers, he looks sharp

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Duty belt.
He was on duty and assigned to a watch station or post.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3830 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
When I was doing honor guard that was the normal uniform but we swapped the c*nt cap for a service cap

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was in when they had the Green Class A still (1991-1995) and recall wearing a web belt for ceremonial events like change of commands, etc.

It's just a little extra thing that is done locally.

Posts: 33540 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It may have been that he had the duty that day.

On some ships I served on, the OOD or Quarterdeck watchstander wore a belt to signify he was on duty (and therefore also had no friends)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Was he Military Police? Those guys wore web belts 100% of the time when I was in, whether in BDU's or Class A/Class B uniform.

Posts: 33540 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I was in when they had the Green Class A still (1991-1995) and recall wearing a web belt for ceremonial events like change of commands, etc.

It's just a little extra thing that is done locally.

agree

could also have been in charge of a color guard detail or something similar

not generally a standard uniform (pistol belt with Class A's) but one authorized for an occasion

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my illustrious career in USAF, when a guy was soon to be retired he was reassigned within the Squadron to lesser duties that let him skate out his final days.
It was often Charge of Quarters. IIRC they wore web belts and an armband.
Cool van!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is anyone else gawking at the diamond window in "free candy" van behind him?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Why are the pants tucked in the boots? I recall those suits being worn with actual dress shoes.

Posts: 17865 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Is it just me or is anyone else gawking at the diamond window in "free candy" van behind him?

Yup. The rape van was the first thing I noticed!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I have a similar picture where I was wearing short sleeve khakis with blousing garters, boots, duty belt and c**t cap. I asked a friend who served with me and he said we had marched in a in a parade shortly before the photo.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Why are the pants tucked in the boots?
The trademark of being Airborne...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
At that time, the 82d Airborne wore boots bloused in their trousers as a part of the Class A uniform. It showed a more elite status of the airborne troops. As mentioned above, pistol belts were sometimes worn for a ceremonial, or other special occasion. The 82d and 101st used to also were maroon berets, like the green berets of the Special Forces, again to show a more elite status.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
He was under arms.
As example, Drill Sergeants wore belts so were considered under arms. That allowed them to keep their headgear on inside buildings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_arms
https://www.ar670.com/2018/12/...uired-or-prohibited/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Why are the pants tucked in the boots? I recall those suits being worn with actual dress shoes.

It’s called blousing your boots, and it’s how Airborne Soldiers wear their uniform, plus other troops do it for ceremonial events. It’s a uniform and not a suit and the shoes were called “lowquarters” and more like oxfords than dress shoes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Duty belt.
He was on duty and assigned to a watch station or post.

This.

Poor guy looked as if he was the Duty NCO of the day. This usually explains the "Awww shit" or "WTF" look on his face. ALL personnel on duty have the same look.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8296 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post