SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I participated in my first CMP competition today!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I participated in my first CMP competition today! Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Today I shot in one event at the CMP sponsored shoot at Camp Butner today in Butner, NC. I can tell you one thing gleaned from today, a marksman I am not!

I've participated in smaller club competitions in the past but never one quite like this. The event I shot in was the M1 Carbine match. There were approximately 100 participants. There were 50 targets and two relays, one shooter to each relay, and it was a full firing line.

How cool it was to see 50 guys fire off 50 M1 Carbines at basically the same time.

Here's where we were hanging up the tiny 6" circles we were shooting at from 100 yards...and look at that range flag it was windy but thankfully blowing toward the targets.

Number 26 was mine!

Here's me trying not to miss with my trusty Inland Carbine...

All in all it was a great event. I'll be back again next year, I fell below 300 out of 400 possible. Standing did me in, I had four flyers. I've got some work to do!

Last but not least here's the obligatory "Long Tom" picture...

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
cool

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Excellent! CMP matches are a treat.

Damn autocorrect!

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I fondly remember a cmp match in Maryland. I also found my riflery skills lacking.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
You'll be hooked now. Come on up to Camp Perry in July and see 150 firing points at once.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I shot my first CMP about 1990 to get a $165 Garand, about a year later when the Garand arrived I'd forgotten about the rifle because I was shooting CMP, go for it!

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any way to use the sling on a carbine to stabilize the shot?

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That's awesome.

I love my M1 carbine. Such a fun gun to shoot. Just need to find some affordable ammo.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Well, there's your problem! Dude, you're shooting with the wrong hand. Wink

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well at least you are firing from the right/correct side.

I keep thinking I am the only lefty.

CMP matches are great, and when I watch one it always re-affirms that my rifle skills are hazy.

I have to practice a lot to be decent.

I am glad that you had a great time and now you know what you need to work on so you can clean the lane next year.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine79830:
Excellent! I shot my first CMP about 1990 to get a $165 Garand, about a year later when the Garand arrived I'd forgotten about the rifle because I was shooting CMP, go for it!
Same price I paid for the M1 and I recall they went up and up after that. My friend, a WW2 Vet, said he shot the enemy in the water, off the deck of BB61 USS Iowa with a Garand.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While you can use a sling to stabilize your position in sitting or prone it is not allowed in offhand. The current tactical trend of putting your hand far out on the handguard is NOT the best method for off hand match shoooting. Bringing the arm into the body for support ( using the magazine as a hand rest ) is the way to go

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
This is how I shot my M1s and .22 heavy target rifles without a sling. I had to rest my arm against my upper trunk to remain steady. Some target competitions do not allow the elbow to contact the shooters body. The carbine is so light, one can get away with a different hold. For off hand, I rest the heavy rifles stop my finger tips.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post