SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work shop tool and stuff storage brilliance...let's see it!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work shop tool and stuff storage brilliance...let's see it! Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted
I'm renovating the shop. New insulation is up. Paint is down. New lights and bench are going in.

I'm looking for ideas on how you are being creative with your space.

What crafty idea did you utilize to take advantage of space?

How do you stow or rack your hand tools, wrenches etc so you know what you have, meaning it's readily accessible and you can find it.

How do you stow your mowers, blowers, bikes, weed eaters, chainsaws, and bodies?

How did you lay out your table saw, jointer, planer, band or chop saw?

Where's your reloading bench? (The wife will be thrilled that function is moving out of the house.)

I would love pics and ideas of what you are proud of or find kind of crafty.

I've got a 24 x 36 pole shop on slab. Clean and ready for ideas.

I'm tired of struggling with every little project. From buying something I know I have but can't find until I use the one I just bought, to just tiring of moving "stuff" out of my way repeatedly.

The shop is clear. My crap is in a sea can ready for a home.

Any little tip or idea is welcome!

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
Tag. I need ideas too. Big Grin

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my 22 x 26 garage / shop:
- South wall: 50% is a lumber rack and 50% is floor to ceiling shelves. Screws, nails, and such are there in either plastic boxes or wide mouth jars. Old peanut butter or pickle jars tend to be best.

- North wall: 10' long workbench attached to wall with storage underneath. The wall is covered with french cleats and custom hangers for any tool that isn't in a tool chest. All cordless tools, batteries, and chargers are in a custom shelf on the wall to conserve space.

- Underneath the workbench are 22gal plastic bins called 'safety', 'woodworking', and 'sand/paint' since I tend to use them the most.

- Back wall: Large shelves big enough to hold large plastic bins with labels such as 'electrical', 'air tools', 'gardening', etc. Putting things in bins made it easier to find and fetch things when they're needed.

- Front corner: Bench with air compressor, anvil, and couple grinders mounted on a board so they can be clamped easily to the workbench when needed but otherwise stored away.

If your shop is clean, now is likely the best time to epoxy the floor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryan11,

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ok, I admit I am a bit anal retentive about organization. Smile

Drills & Accessories

Shoes & Miscellaneous Off the Floor

Cabinets (From scratch) & Sawhorse Storage

West Wall

East Wall

Custom Rolling Table Saw Stand & Storage

Workbench Organizer (for Fasteners & the like)

Custom Detailer's Cabinet for all my auto detailing products & equipment

Custom Break Front Living Room Library (for my wife)

(Disclaimer: Ok, it's technically not for the workshop, but it did start out there. Smile It's the largest, most complex thing I've ever built.)

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
bryan11: I like your idea of marked bins, I'm thinking of the Costco shelving to go along with that. The french cleat idea is interesting as I want to keep the floor clear. Dang I hadn't thought about epoxy...

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
bigdeal: I'm just gonna turn in my mancard now. Holy crap Eek

You have a lot of really great ideas in your pics, very thoughtful, thanks for posting. Beautiful wall feature by the way!

posted Hide Post
One my solutions I applied in my garage.

I wanted something to store items and be easy to retrieve and identify. I made shelving sized to hold Rubbermaid storage containers.

The picture below is just a portion of my shelving.

Hope Photobucket works. I have not signed up to another photo posting site yet.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An oldie, but a goodie!

Seriously though, the DIY website may have an idea'r or two for you!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I prefer a standing height/stool work bench so I took a Craftsman workbench tool box put it on a riser and bought a Tactor Supply under truck storage box and put it on a riser and have a long look solid bench.

Other than that I just have a Craftsman toolbox and wire shelving.
I need to build some sort of rolling cabinet for my mitre saw.
Good timing on this thread as I need to do a bit of organzing as I'll have both my project cars in 1 garage shortly.

My wheel barrow is what takes up a lot of space and have yet to figure out a way to store it out of the way.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just installed this in a new shop on two walls. I like it a lot, and am considering it in our new home garage.

ProSlat

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I prefer a standing height/stool work bench so I took a Craftsman workbench tool box put it on a riser and bought a Tactor Supply under truck storage box and put it on a riser and have a long look solid bench.

Other than that I just have a Craftsman toolbox and wire shelving.
I need to build some sort of rolling cabinet for my mitre saw.
Good timing on this thread as I need to do a bit of organzing as I'll have both my project cars in 1 garage shortly.

My wheel barrow is what takes up a lot of space and have yet to figure out a way to store it out of the way.

Hey Black

I've had one of these for several years. It's worked fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hom...e-Outside/B00HSW1D1I

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Check out Harbor freight if you have one near by. Some good idea's there i believe.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
A friend of mine just installed this in a new shop on two walls. I like it a lot, and am considering it in our new home garage.

ProSlat

My BIL had something like that in one of his garages in the past. He liked them, but as I recall they were a bit spendy.

I'm thinking about using the french cleat system when it comes time to organize my garage.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A roll around tool box is great. Kennedy is pretty good, but not as good as Snap-On. There are lots of used Snap-on tool boxes available.

For long items such as pipe I used 1.5" square steel tubing welded at a slight up angle onto same size square tubing. Screwed several of these onto the shop walls/studs and this works great.

Also built a welding bench for TIG welding out of 1.5" square tubing plus piece of smooth steel plate on top.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
A roll around tool box is great.

I've never had one, but plan to now instead of hanging hand tools on wall, etc. Plus the bigger boxes have saw/drill-sized drawers which will be nice as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
A roll around tool box is great.

I've never had one, but plan to now instead of hanging hand tools on wall, etc. Plus the bigger boxes have saw/drill-sized drawers which will be nice as well.

The more expensive US General brand from Harbor Freight are really good.
I like the US General better than my Craftsman. Thicker steel and better ball bearing slides.

I have this one
https://m.harborfreight.com/44...r-cabinet-68784.html

And need to get one of these
https://m.harborfreight.com/30...tool-cart-61427.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

And need to get one of these
https://m.harborfreight.com/30...tool-cart-61427.html

Those were $160 a few weeks ago, I picked one up. Very handy so far.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the interest and comments. I'm liking the conversation so far.