SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnam vet jailed for M14 he bought in the 80's
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam vet jailed for M14 he bought in the 80's Login/Join 
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one skeptical about his claim to be a former POW and awarded a Silver Star?

Nothing concrete, but my bullshit meter is registering pretty high. Roll Eyes

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Am I the only one skeptical about his claim to be a former POW and awarded a Silver Star?

Nothing concrete, but my bullshit meter is registering pretty high. Roll Eyes

Here's his Silver Star citation:

quote:
Alfred Pick
DATE OF BIRTH: April 27, 1948
PLACE OF BIRTH:
Oceanside, New York
HOME OF RECORD:
Dallas, Texas
AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:

Silver Star
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING Vietnam War
Service: Army
Battalion: 2d Battalion
GENERAL ORDERS:
Headquarters, II Field Force Vietnam, General Orders No. 453 (February 17, 1969)

CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Second Lieutenant (Field Artillery) Alfred Pick (ASN: 0-5428223), United States Army, for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force on 14 May 1968 while serving as an artillery forward observer attached to Company C, 2d Battalion, 3d Infantry Regiment, 199th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light), in the Republic of Vietnam. On this date, Company C's base camp was attacked by a Viet Cong force of unknown size supported by enemy small arms, automatic weapons and rocket fire. During the battle, the Company Commander was mortally wounded. Lieutenant Pick immediately took command of the company and proceeded to rally and regroup his men to repel the enemy attack. He moved from position to position under intense hostile fire, instructing the men and offering them words of encouragement. As soon as control was re-established, Lieutenant Pick personally took charge of evacuating the wounded and commanding the reinforcements. Through his brave and aggressive action, the Commander's position remained intact and the hostile attack was thwarted. Second Lieutenant Pick's valorous actions and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Alfred Pick

DATE OF BIRTH: April 27, 1948
PLACE OF BIRTH:
Oceanside, New York
HOME OF RECORD:
Dallas, Texas

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:
1 of 1

Silver Star
AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING Vietnam War
Service: Army
Battalion: 2d Battalion
GENERAL ORDERS:
Headquarters, II Field Force Vietnam, General Orders No. 453 (February 17, 1969)
CITATION:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Second Lieutenant (Field Artillery) Alfred Pick (ASN: 0-5428223), United States Army, for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force on 14 May 1968 while serving as an artillery forward observer attached to Company C, 2d Battalion, 3d Infantry Regiment, 199th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light), in the Republic of Vietnam. On this date, Company C's base camp was attacked by a Viet Cong force of unknown size supported by enemy small arms, automatic weapons and rocket fire. During the battle, the Company Commander was mortally wounded. Lieutenant Pick immediately took command of the company and proceeded to rally and regroup his men to repel the enemy attack. He moved from position to position under intense hostile fire, instructing the men and offering them words of encouragement. As soon as control was re-established, Lieutenant Pick personally took charge of evacuating the wounded and commanding the reinforcements. Through his brave and aggressive action, the Commander's position remained intact and the hostile attack was thwarted. Second Lieutenant Pick's valorous actions and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
It’s apparent this guy was no choir boy. Anyone dumb enough to buy an illegal weapon with the serial number scratched off, full auto nonetheless, and show it off for 30 years, keep illegal drugs in the house and possibly have sexually abused his own child got off light with only 7 years. Im not sure why anyone feels sorry for this guy. Yes, maybe his daughter is lying but the other stuff appears to be factual.

Hard to lie when they found photos...

I have known people that were questioned on photos of their children when there was nothing nefarious happening. It just happened to be the kid in the tub and someone thought it was inappropriate so I’m giving the felon some leeway.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if a government agent is telling the buyer it's NOT a machinegun that would prevent the "sting" from being prosecuted.

That's not something i would be willing to gamble my freedom on.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
So if a government agent is telling the buyer it's NOT a machinegun that would prevent the "sting" from being prosecuted.

That's not something i would be willing to gamble my freedom on.
So you think federal agents, and Assistant United States Attorneys just waste their time violating well established caselaw, setting up "sting" operatioms, on cases that have no prosecution merit? Having worked federal criminal investigations, for many years, I can tell you that's simply not how things work. Do people foolishly offer up illegal products, and lie about the nature of their legality? All too frequently, but they are actually idiot crooks. The point is the "feds" don't waste their time doing that in contradiction to well established caselaw.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Each and every time there is a mass shooting, the left cries for gun control. The ones defending this dude point at the read flags that were missed, and claim that no new gun control laws are necessary if LE would just "do their job".

Well, sounds as if here, that is exactly what they did.

And it doesn't sit well either as it seems. Apparently, we want to be able to shake our fists at LE for "missing red flags" but also reserve the right to shake our fists at LE when the shooter is someone in a demographic that we associate with.

I really care less that he is a senior citizen, Viet vet, or whatever. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. Pretty simple.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, Where are the citations listed? I had looked but could not find it.

Any idea where to find the POW list?

Thanks.

– Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
RogueJSK, Where are the citations listed? I had looked but could not find it.

https://valor.militarytimes.com/award/5

quote:
Any idea where to find the POW list?

The DPAA website has lists for each conflict, broken down by name and by state.

http://www.dpaa.mil/

Alfred Pick is not listed on the POW rosters from Vietnam, although that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't held prisoner for a short period of time as mentioned in the article. It may just mean he was never formally listed as a POW, perhaps because he was rescued or escaped too quickly after his capture.

Or he may be lying.

Or the media may have gotten it wrong.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Just skimmed it and saw what I expected - a boat load for the 442nd, Nisei. I know they will also have a bunch in the DSC and some MOH.

– Napoleon Bonaparte

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Each and every time there is a mass shooting, the left cries for gun control. The ones defending this dude point at the read flags that were missed, and claim that no new gun control laws are necessary if LE would just "do their job".

And it doesn't sit well either as it seems. Apparently, we want to be able to shake our fists at LE for "missing red flags" but also reserve the right to shake our fists at LE when the shooter is someone in a demographic that we associate with.

I really care less that he is a senior citizen, Viet vet, or whatever. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. Pretty simple.

You are spot on with your point.

However, until I start to see people like the Clinton’s, Podesta’s, and other beltway mobsters going to jail, I don’t give a rats ass what someone else has done - with some obvious exceptions that involve women and children. This isn’t based on my personal opinion of local law enforcement, but the judicial system as it relates to the so called elites. I understand the difficulties involved in building a case against these people with more lawyers than all of us put together, but I’m tired of it. So I don’t care if someone has an M1 Abrams in their garage.

I do chose to follow the law in my own conduct though.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Agreed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Zero Fucks that he's got a Silver Star and is a Vet. Same about being a POW, if he was one.

Just like I had Zero Fucks for Randy Cunningham, a Navy Cross awardee and Navy Fighter Ace from Vietnam got bagged for being a crooked politician who was taking bribes.

Or the Army dude from "Black Hawk Down" who got a Silver Star and then years later raped a family member or friend (I forget which).

Fuck them all.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post